New York advice re taxi to QM2 Brooklyn cruise terminal from Essex House Central Park

jimjams

Regarding - December 8th Transatlantic cruise back to the UK (QM2 from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal)

I wondered if someone could offer me some advice regarding our journey starting from ESSEX HOUSE HOTEL, Central park to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Perhaps there is someone who lives in NY or is familiar with NY transportation who could kindly offer a little advice. I know that it won't be a short taxi ride and won't be cheap which is why I am asking. What sort of cost should we expect.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance

Janet

Regarding - December 8th Transatlantic cruise back to the UK (QM2 from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal)

I wondered if someone could offer me some advice regarding our journey starting from ESSEX HOUSE HOTEL, Central park to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Perhaps there is someone who lives in NY or is familiar with NY transportation who could kindly offer a little advice. I know that it won't be a short taxi ride and won't be cheap which is why I am asking. What sort of cost should we expect.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance

Janet

I would offer 3 choices:

1. a regular taxi from the Essex House

2. uber

3. Call the Essex House (beautiful hotel right across from Central Park) and ask the concierge to arrange for private transportation.

#3 will be the most expensive. December 8th is a Saturday so traffic won't be bad so I would go with options 1 or 2. The only thing is make sure the driver knows how to get to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn, it is kind of out of the way and many do not. I would make sure I have directions on my cell phone handy. Good luck!

I live in Manhattan-I use Dial7 car service. Hotel car services tend to be pricier than I think they need to be. There is also Carmel. You can find them both on the internet. They will tell you up front what the charges will be - tips are discretionary - folks here tip at between 15 and 20%. Cabs from Manhattan really don’t like going to the outer boroughs as they often can’t get a fare going back; and some of them don’t really know how to get to the Red Hook cruise terminal with any ease

ENJOY YOUR CROSSING!

Thanks to both cruisers whom responded to my query. I found the replies very informative.

Yes, ESSEX HOUSE is a fine hotel. We stayed there in 2014, such a lovely location. On that occasion, we were sailing with CELEBRITY ECLIPSE (Manhattan cruise terminal) I believe the taxi cost was something like 30 dollars.

Regards Janet

We went from midtown (near Macy's) to Red Hook at Christmas last year. I stepped out of the hotel around 8:30 or 9:00 AM and noticed that there were few unoccupied taxis available so I decided that my best bet would be to schedule a Dial 7 car.

Of course at 10:30 or 11:00 AM there were plenty of cabs available since rush hour was over, and I had to tell a couple of cab drivers that I didn't need a cab.

You should be fine just hailing a cab, especially from a hotel with a doorman. Dial 7 was a good experience but it cost more than a cab would have (I recall $60, where a cab back to Penn Station after the cruise was on the order of $30).

Most or all cabs have a GPS; give them the address 72 Bowne Street in Brooklyn and that will get you to the entrance of the terminal.

A regular yellow cab will do just fine but make sure the doorman at the hotel gets you a big one so that all of the luggage fits in the trunk and the backseat has enough leg room. Some of he newer ones are only comfortable if you are no taller than 5.2" Also the driver should take the east side highway and either the tunnel or the bridge depending on traffic. All of the cabs have traffic monitors.

We went from midtown (near Macy's) to Red Hook at Christmas last year. I stepped out of the hotel around 8:30 or 9:00 AM and noticed that there were few unoccupied taxis available so I decided that my best bet would be to schedule a Dial 7 car.

Of course at 10:30 or 11:00 AM there were plenty of cabs available since rush hour was over, and I had to tell a couple of cab drivers that I didn't need a cab.

You should be fine just hailing a cab, especially from a hotel with a doorman. Dial 7 was a good experience but it cost more than a cab would have (I recall $60, where a cab back to Penn Station after the cruise was on the order of $30).

Most or all cabs have a GPS; give them the address 72 Bowne Street in Brooklyn and that will get you to the entrance of the terminal.

Many thanks , great advice. Just one more question, is the toll for the tunnel included in the cost of the taxi?

Again, thank you Janet

Usually the cab takes the bridge (which has no toll). The one exception was when we were staying at the Millenium Hilton downtown close to the World Trade Center. The tunnel was the closest way, and the toll was just added to the fare automatically.

Usually the cab takes the bridge (which has no toll). The one exception was when we were staying at the Millenium Hilton downtown close to the World Trade Center. The tunnel was the closest way, and the toll was just added to the fare automatically.

Good to know, thank you Underwatr.

Today 11:21 AM