tipping butler

sho

Short answer they participate, but you can tip your butler, room steward, waiters a voluntary additional tip, if you receive excellent service. And I usually get excellent service. My rule of thumb is $10 a day for the butler $8 a day for the room steward rounded down to the nearest $10, I will give excellent waiters $5 per day rounded up to the nearest $10. I have given more for service above and beyond, and I have given nothing when the service is not better than ordinary.

These folks are making a wage, usually have family in their homelands and a bit extra helps. It has always assured me of excellent repeat service, and staff who have served me in the past and remember my generosity greet me even if they are not serving me on the current voyage.

I also tip the Maitre d'hotel, if I have an occasion to request a table change and have been given it. I discretely give him $50 in such a case . If the bartenders in the Grills Lounge are friendly and remember my drink. I give them an envelope with $5 per day in it. As a matter of fact, for all the tips I use the personal stationary I am given to write a thank you note, and enclose the cash in it.

Edited by Bigmike911

I've had three butlers; one received a tip as his service was faultless and exceeded my expectations. Nothing was too much trouble, and he got to know my routines and preferences rapidly.

The other two were disappointing and disinterested in me, my likes and dislikes, and so didn't receive a tip (even if one "hung around" the cabin in anticipation of an envelope... )

(I have never removed the "auto-tip")

Do butlers get a share of the auto-tip? Do guests usually tip their butlers?

We have had nothing but exemplary service from all the butlers we've encountered [during many many days in QG] and we generally add a personal thank you in addition to the charges on the account to quite a few members of the ship's crew we've interacted with.

It is entirely up to individual passengers if they want to give extra to the daily account charge and the amount is personal to you. All will be gratefully received, however small or large the amount.

Our first experience on QM2 Queens Grill this spring during a b/b/b was that the butlers (2) were untrained and disinterested.

Service was often just delivered by room service when the so called butler was “OFF DUTY.” On the other hand we had a fantastic suite steward. We did tip both but much more generously to the steward.

Never saw our butler except for bringing tea/croissants in morning and if we were in our suite which wasnt often when he bought the canapes other than that he didnt do anything for us or we never saw him so other than auto gratuity didnt tip extra.

On my first cruise on QV the butler was absolutely useless, yes, even rude. E.g. Breakfast he would not bring to my suite (too much work), he would not open the Champagne for me (due to a disability I cannot do it myself) etc. He did not get an additional penny from me. But his assistant butler was a pearl. Fantastic! I additionally tipped her every other day and on my next cruise on QV brought her Swiss chocolate. The next time on QV I had the most fantastic butler you could imagine (Arnold)! Incredibly attentive but also discreet. He made me feel like living in heaven. I tipped him and his assistant rather generously, because they really deserved it.