Connecting your HDMI device to the new OceanView TVs on Caribbean Princess

SSMEX

Thanks from me, too. But this won’t help me with video I have downloaded to my iPad, correct?

You can buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter. AFAIK, all modern iPads have full 1080p HDMI output, and since the connection is fully digital to the TV, you shouldn't have issues with HDCP.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got off the Aug 11 sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the western Caribbean. Will likely write up a complete review later, but for reference, it is possible to connect your HDMI device to the new TVs that are part of OceanView/Ocean Medallion on Caribbean Princess. Our room had new 4K LG TVs that were roughly 40-45 inches.

The procedure is a bit tricky and unintuitive, but here is the procedure:

• Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.
  • Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).
  • Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Audio carries over HDMI like it should, but do note that at least on our TV, the edge calibration was a little off and I lost about 2% of the edges.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or anything else on the Caribbean Princess.

Thank You SO much SSMEX for the detailed instructions!!

Did you have to remove the white cover first? (pic in link below)

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/share?via=link&token=2gWs9cGgPwKLsC2vV6etqQ/SFO/27948145168060/SNAPFISH

Thank You SO much SSMEX for the detailed instructions!!

Did you have to remove the white cover first? (pic in link below)

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/share?via=link&token=2gWs9cGgPwKLsC2vV6etqQ/SFO/27948145168060/SNAPFISH

Oh gosh that's a different TV that what we had. I bet the same or a similar procedure works though. The idea is that you need to plug directly into one of the HDMI ports on the TV (it may be behind that white box, or on the other side of the TV) and change the output using the on-TV controller, as the remote provided doesn't allow for input switching. The trick that I figured out, at least on our TV, is that you need to switch to a live TV channel on the Princess box before you can switch to your own input.

Let us know how it goes!

In the past trips on the Royal, I replaced their HDMI input with my cable & didn't have to worry about changing the TV's input with the remote.

Although this worked OK, it was a real hassle having to constantly change cables back & forth.

pablo222 suggested using a directional switch which he found works well.

See below

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=57077515&postcount=5

In the past trips on the Royal, I replaced their HDMI input with my cable & didn't have to worry about changing the TV's input with the remote.

Although this worked OK, it was a real hassle having to constantly change cables back & forth.

pablo222 suggested using a directional switch which he found works well.

See below

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=57077515&postcount=5

The new OceanView TVs on Caribbean Princess don't have an existing HDMI cable attached to them, only an ethernet cable between the set top box and the TV.

The new OceanView TVs on Caribbean Princess don't have an existing HDMI cable attached to them, only an ethernet cable between the set top box and the TV.

Good to know. Thanks.

My movie device also has an ethernet output but I'll pick up a A/B switch so I don't have crawl behind the set to change cables.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnD-IVfSPx9Y2x2UXpOdpUKLKoTuhvw1v5oioOcR1Ej9uXn4HkQs-J20rGEWhveidf8SYnOSK-0NA&usqp=CAc

Good to know. Thanks.

My movie device also has an ethernet output but I'll pick up a A/B switch so I don't have crawl behind the set to change cables.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnD-IVfSPx9Y2x2UXpOdpUKLKoTuhvw1v5oioOcR1Ej9uXn4HkQs-J20rGEWhveidf8SYnOSK-0NA&usqp=CAc

I'm almost certain this won't work. I did a lot more digging and discovered that these new TVs connect to the set top box or server through a protocol called b-LAN, which is why you only see an Ethernet cable coming out of the TV. The TV themselves have a built in set top box-like device (which you control with the Princess remote), and receives video over IP. Some of these TVs still have an external set-top box, though, but they still connect upstream via Ethernet, so it's functionally the same.

The simplified version of what I'm trying to explain is that a cable either carries video (e.g. HDMI) or data (e.g. USB or Ethernet). All laptops, iPads, DVD players, etc. only output a video signal (if your device has ethernet, that's likely so it can connect to the internet). The OceanView TVs have their own set top box built in, and the Ethernet connection is for them to receive data from the on-ship intranet—it's not a video input and no passenger device will work with it.

I'm almost certain this won't work. I did a lot more digging and discovered that these new TVs connect to the set top box or server through a protocol called b-LAN, which is why you only see an Ethernet cable coming out of the TV. The TV themselves have a built in set top box-like device (which you control with the Princess remote), and receives video over IP. Some of these TVs still have an external set-top box, though, but they still connect upstream via Ethernet, so it's functionally the same.

The simplified version of what I'm trying to explain is that a cable either carries video (e.g. HDMI) or data (e.g. USB or Ethernet). All laptops, iPads, DVD players, etc. only output a video signal (if your device has ethernet, that's likely so it can connect to the internet). The OceanView TVs have their own set top box built in, and the Ethernet connection is for them to receive data from the on-ship intranet—it's not a video input and no passenger device will work with it.

That's a little discouraging to hear but at least they have considerable content to view.

My device has a Ethernet output so who knows, although it doesn't sound promising.

I'll still give it a try & let you know when we return how it works out.

Quick report from the Crown Princess. Easy attachment into HDMI2 port on the side of the TV. Use of manual joystick-like controller on the underside of the set to change the input to HDMI2. Input automatically went back to TV input when powered off/on. Remember to take a power strip or cord if extra plugs behind the TV are needed for your particular device.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 4:47 PM, SSMEX said:

Oh gosh that's a different TV that what we had. I bet the same or a similar procedure works though. The idea is that you need to plug directly into one of the HDMI ports on the TV (it may be behind that white box, or on the other side of the TV) and change the output using the on-TV controller, as the remote provided doesn't allow for input switching. The trick that I figured out, at least on our TV, is that you need to switch to a live TV channel on the Princess box before you can switch to your own input.

Let us know how it goes!

It worked exactly like you described in your original directions. 👍  My HDMI cable was connected throughout our whole cruise without any problems. We had two different cabins & it switched better in one than the other. Sometimes it was a little flaky & wouldn't switch on the first try but it did work & we had plenty of movies to watch during our cruise. Many of theirs didn't have subtitles & all of mine did so I could watch TV in the early morning without having to turn up the volume to loud. 

I hope they switch to this Ethernet fed system on all the ships. 

• 4 months later...

Thanks SSMEX!  I am on the Ruby Princess right now on the way to Hawaii.  I can spell HDMI and I had hopes I would be able to connect my notebook to watch movies.

I was prepared.  I brought an LG remote to change inputs.  I was frustrated, I could scroll through the inputs and HDMI was highlighted to show there was a signal, but it would no change.  I searched and found your post --- so easy, but I don't know how I would have found it without your tip on changed the TV to the bridge cam.  THANK YOU!

I can add a tip I had found elsewhere and have used.  I carry a 12" HDMI extension cable.  It is an older thicker style, so it is fairly ridged and stiff.  The TV  is flat against the wall and the open HDMI isn't real easy to access,.  The stiff extension makes it pretty easy to push into the port and you only need to it once on the cruise.  After it is in place, it is very easy to plug in my longer much thinner HDMI cable to my PC.  

Thanks again!

Aloha!

On 4/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

Thanks SSMEX!  I am on the Ruby Princess right now on the way to Hawaii.  I can spell HDMI and I had hopes I would be able to connect my notebook to watch movies.

I was prepared.  I brought an LG remote to change inputs.  I was frustrated, I could scroll through the inputs and HDMI was highlighted to show there was a signal, but it would no change.  I searched and found your post --- so easy, but I don't know how I would have found it without your tip on changed the TV to the bridge cam.  THANK YOU!

I can add a tip I had found elsewhere and have used.  I carry a 12" HDMI extension cable.  It is an older thicker style, so it is fairly ridged and stiff.  The TV  is flat against the wall and the open HDMI isn't real easy to access,.  The stiff extension makes it pretty easy to push into the port and you only need to it once on the cruise.  After it is in place, it is very easy to plug in my longer much thinner HDMI cable to my PC.  

Thanks again!

Aloha!

Great idea.

On the Crown you don't even have to bring an extra remote to change inputs. The one provided in the cabin works fine to that purpose right now. When they switch to the on-demand system they might change it. Who knows?

16 hours ago, kb4683 said:

I know this is an old discussion and about the Caribbean Princess, but does anyone know if it is possible to hook up my HDMI devices to the TV on the Regal?

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible BUT getting to the HDMI input is the difficult part since it's wall mounted and not much space to get your hand behind the TV set.. See post #41 for a tip on making it easier to plug in the cable. Some of the TV's are easier to snap out from the bottom, some are not. 

Once connected you can leave it in place for the whole trip. 

I know on the star which also got the newer tvs a while back, you could pair your phone or device to it to get your music on your phone (needs to be downloaded, not streaming unless you have the internet plan) - better than bringing a speaker.

Could also view pictures from your phone.

Not sure if the Carib has the same but its probably similar:

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/tv-hookup-photo

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, it's possible BUT getting to the HDMI input is the difficult part since it's wall mounted and not much space to get your hand behind the TV set.. See post #41 for a tip on making it easier to plug in the cable. Some of the TV's are easier to snap out from the bottom, some are not. 

Once connected you can leave it in place for the whole trip. 

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I copied and printed out post 41 to take along.

• 7 months later...

1. Thanks to the OP. I’m on the Royal and spent an hour last night messing with the remote to try and find a way to change the input to HDMI. I did a quick feel around the TV for buttons, but missed this one in the front. Now my kids are happily watching Home Alone on the Fire Stick thanks to your post. 

2. I can’t believe some of these responses to someone who is just trying to help others like me save time. If it’s too complex for you, don’t worry about it and ignore it. 

3. To further confuse those people, but help those who want to use a Fire Stick, I went about it by using a travel router. There may be other, easier ways, but this worked for me. I bought the TP-Link AC750 travel router. Before we left, I paid for the 4 device internet package for Princess in case this didn’t work. But, with this router, you can in theory just buy the one device plan and use as many other devices as you want in your room. The downside is the other devices won’t work outside your room. If you want internet around the ship, at dinner, etc, then get the 4 device package to allow 4 devices to have internet all around the ship. If you only want to have your phone have internet around the ship, and you are ok with iPads and fire sticks only having internet in the room, you can get away with the 1 device plan and this set up. 

Here is what I did. 

I connected my iPhone to Princess’ internet (MedallionNet) and then opened Safari and went to login.com. Enter your info and your prepaid device plan will be recognized. Your iPhone is now connected to Princess’ WiFi (MedallionNet). 

The trick to get this to work for the router is in the MAC address. The MAC address is how Princess’ internet recognizes your device. Once you set up your phone in the prior step, this is the MAC address that Princess’ internet will provide internet to. What you need to do is change the MAC address of the router to match that of your phone. Now, Princess will allow internet to the router because it thinks it is your phone. Luckily, the AC750 makes this easy with the “MAC Clone” feature. Under the “Network” menu heading of the router, you will see “- MAC Clone.” This will copy your phone’s MAC address and give the router the same address. When you are in the room you connect your phone to the router’s WiFi (whatever name you set up). When you leave the room, unplug the router and have your phone connect to MedallionNet. You can only have your phone or the router connected at one time to MedallionNet. Not both. A couple times I forgot to unplug the router when I left the room, so my phone didn’t have WiFi on MedallionNet. 

I plugged in the travel router and followed the instructions that came with the router to connect to it and via WiFi connection and the admin login. Once connected and looking at the settings menu, I first cloned the MAC address as noted above. Then, I selected the MedallionNet as the network I wanted to share and set up a new wireless name and password for my shared network (2.4 and 5G). Now, you can connect all your devices in the room to your personal WiFi network you created.

I’m not an IT person. Just enjoy nerding out trying new things and this worked. Like I said, there may be an easier way and maybe someone else can help, or there may be another tread for this aspect.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bkandy3 said:

3. To further confuse those people, but help those who want to use a Fire Stick, I went about it by using a travel router. There may be other, easier ways, but this worked for me. I bought the TP-Link AC750 travel router. Before we left, I paid for the 4 device internet package for Princess in case this didn’t work. But, with this router, you can in theory just buy the one device plan and use as many other devices as you want in your room. The downside is the other devices won’t work outside your room. If you want internet around the ship, at dinner, etc, then get the 4 device package to allow 4 devices to have internet all around the ship. If you only want to have your phone have internet around the ship, and you are ok with iPads and fire sticks only having internet in the room, you can get away with the 1 device plan and this set up. 

Thank you for your post.  I found your comments about the fire stick, and spoofing addresses interesting.

• 2 years later...
On 12/9/2019 at 2:45 AM, pablo222 said:

Thank you for your post.  I found your comments about the fire stick, and spoofing addresses interesting.

I went one step further and bought a Kodak Luma projector,  an hdmi adapter for my iPhone, and a screen to hang over the tv.