Glow Worm Caves - Tours from Auckland

ii_cscs_ii

Hello everyone,

First time poster here, hope you lovely people can help.

We’re booked for our first cruise with our two young kids and my parents (6 in total) to NZ in November with Princess.

We had wanted to book their shore excursion to see the Glow Worms which goes from Auckland, but it seems it’s booked out already so now we’re looking for other tour companies that would depart from auckland.

The majority I found depart from Tauranga, however we plan to visit the Geothermal areas from that port.

Can anyone recommend any tours that will depart from Auckland?

Thanks in advance!

We were in Auckland for three days and used Kiwi Fun Tours for Hobbiton but booked through Viator.

Viator has the tours you are looking for: https://www.viator.com/New-Zealand/d24-ttd

They even have one that combines the caves and Hobbiton. I'm not a LOTR fan, but LOVED Hobbiton!

https://donnagawell.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=2151&action=edit

If you are interested in more of Auckland, check out my website under Travel to Europe and Australia for New Zealand. We LOVED the museum in Auckland!

Here’s a tour from Auckland to the Waitomo Glow Worm Cave, but it may not be feasible (depending on the hours your ship is on port) since it departs at 7:30 am.

https://www.intercity.co.nz/tours/waitomo-caves-tour/

Also, note that the drive from Auckland to the Waitomo Cave is about 3 hours each way, so you are spending 6 hours on a bus for a 45-minute Cave tour. I have been to Waitomo twice and enjoyed it, but each visit was part of a self-drive tour around the North Island. I would not have spent 6 hours on a bus for it.

Thanks for the replies.

We are trying to decide if the glow worms are worth visiting as well for a 6hr return ride. Especially with young kids. Would it be too much time spent on a bus?

Are they really spectacular?

Thanks

They are like looking at lots and lots of miniature stars in a close-up sky, so it’s cool. But I definitely would not say it’s spectacular enough to warrant a 6 hour bus ride, especially with children.

Hello everyone,

First time poster here, hope you lovely people can help.

We’re booked for our first cruise with our two young kids and my parents (6 in total) to NZ in November with Princess.

We had wanted to book their shore excursion to see the Glow Worms which goes from Auckland, but it seems it’s booked out already so now we’re looking for other tour companies that would depart from auckland.

The majority I found depart from Tauranga, however we plan to visit the Geothermal areas from that port.

Can anyone recommend any tours that will depart from Auckland?

Thanks in advance!

A bloody long time to spend on a bus from Auckalnd guys. With traffic 3 hours could be a bit lite in timings also. A great site to see but not for at least 6 hours of bus travel. Better sights to see in and around Auckland perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A bloody long time to spend on a bus from Auckalnd guys. With traffic 3 hours could be a bit lite in timings also. A great site to see but not for at least 6 hours of bus travel. Better sights to see in and around Auckland perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Waitomo are the premiere glow worm caves from what I understand, but there are some other ones closer to Bay of Islands if that is on your itinerary,

• 4 weeks later...