Making coffee in my cabin?

AzureGreen23

While I don't consider myself a coffee snob, (nor does DH consider himself a tea snob) we do like our morning brews "just so".

What are the in-cabin facilities? What sort of tea is provided? Is the coffee instant? Or, coffee pads or pods?

Please help so we can come prepared to start our days happily.

The in-cabin make-it-yourself tea & coffee facilities in Queens Grill: Illy coffee machine (pods). Twinnings tea bags (there was a selection of pods and bags available).

Not sure about Princess Grill (?), but I understand that instant coffee is provided, along with Twinnings tea bags, in Britannia grade cabins.

(I'm sorry but for tea lovers there are no loose-leaf facilities, only bags. You could bring loose-leaf tea and a strainer of course.

Similarly, you may wish to purchase of the many simple filter devices available in shops/online for making a cup of real coffee within a cup/mug; so you may wish to bring ground coffee and one of these devices with you)

Hope this helps.

While I don't consider myself a coffee snob, (nor does DH consider himself a tea snob) we do like our morning brews "just so".

What are the in-cabin facilities? What sort of tea is provided? Is the coffee instant? Or, coffee pads or pods?

Please help so we can come prepared to start our days happily.

I found the instant coffee in my cabin last year to be utterly disgusting I was on the ship for 12 days and this year will be on it for 13 days and for sure am bringing my own coffee. Before I am off the ship I write in a note pad things I want to bring on the next trip- so number one is coffee I think I will get the coffee bags that you can purchase and number two on the list is Air Freshener to freshen up the air in the cabin.

Thanks Jeffrey,

DH and I travel a lot, and we'll be in the US for about a month after our crossing, we always, when on a journey, carry tea and coffee stuff for ourselves (also a kettle for just in case). We'll for sure do that on the upcoming TA-west.

Thanks for the tip about bringing an air freshener. I hadn't ever thought of that, and so often hotel rooms also smell a bit stuffy. Although one time in Texas, at a Quality Inn, we entered our room and it smelled of "my" perfume (Sisley's, Eau du Soir). That was a funny surprise, and, a one-off.

AG

If you are in Britannia they have an electric kettle (personally did not try it). I would bring a single cup pour over (e.g., the plastic one from Melitta is about $5 in the US, I use it at home all the time) and my own ground coffee and filters. You can also use bottled water. If you really care this will probably give you the best coffee possible in the room. The in room tea bags are decent however, tea bags (or loose tea) take very little room or weight.

Thanks Jeffrey,

DH and I travel a lot, and we'll be in the US for about a month after our crossing, we always, when on a journey, carry tea and coffee stuff for ourselves (also a kettle for just in case). We'll for sure do that on the upcoming TA-west.

Thanks for the tip about bringing an air freshener. I hadn't ever thought of that, and so often hotel rooms also smell a bit stuffy. Although one time in Texas, at a Quality Inn, we entered our room and it smelled of "my" perfume (Sisley's, Eau du Soir). That was a funny surprise, and, a one-off.

AG

You won't need to bring a kettle on board ship as there is one in your cabin. I intend to bring two fresheners one for the bathroom and one for the cabin.

If you are in Britannia they have an electric kettle (personally did not try it). I would bring a single cup pour over (e.g., the plastic one from Melitta is about $5 in the US, I use it at home all the time) and my own ground coffee and filters. You can also use bottled water. If you really care this will probably give you the best coffee possible in the room. The in room tea bags are decent however, tea bags (or loose tea) take very little room or weight.

Thanks for the tip.

Melitta is hard to find here in NL, but, there are plenty of filters available (it's how I prepare coffee each morning).

We will be in Brittania Club, so I assume we'll be getting the same as Brittania.

Thanks for the tip about two air fresheners, I hadn't thought of that. What a good idea!

Trust me- you will be glad you brought two. The kind I have in mind to take is one that you open the lid and it stays open like a stick kind that will be open all the time in the bathroom and for the cabin a spray of some kind.

Trust me- you will be glad you brought two. The kind I have in mind to take is one that you open the lid and it stays open like a stick kind that will be open all the time in the bathroom and for the cabin a spray of some kind.
And don't forget if you enjoy a drink in your cabin Cunard let's you brink alcohol on board and you may want to bring some soft drinks as well. Last time on the ship when I took coke out of the mini bar it was the normal vending machine size and I was charged $3.75 per bottle. That is way to high and of course we have choices no one forced me to buy it but they got me once not a second time.

Are we on a cruise ship ? The amount of stuff some of you seem to bring it sounds more like a camping holiday to me ! :p :D

But surely it is up to the individual what they want to bring and as a very conscious planner I can assure you I have everything and then again some. And then there are some items of what I bring that just makes common sense. I must be doing something right because many people over the years have asked for a copy of my list. To me bringing the things I bring do not make it seem like a camping trip more common sense than anything.

But surely it is up to the individual what they want to bring and as a very conscious planner I can assure you I have everything and then again some. And then there are some items of what I bring that just makes common sense. I must be doing something right because many people over the years have asked for a copy of my list. To me bringing the things I bring do not make it seem like a camping trip more common sense than anything.

Jeffrey,

Making a list of essential items to take on a cruise is a very common task.. best not to leave without something that may not be able to be obtained in another location.

Yes and I to take items that may not be regularly used on a sailing but believe it is essential for our particular need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I'll be in QG on the QV in a few weeks. Does anyone know what kind of pod coffee machine is in the suite? And if I want coffee brought room service style, can I still have that each morning?

It’s an Illy machine. The coffee is not quite as good as our Nespresso, but very acceptable and the machine easy to use.

Jeffrey,

Making a list of essential items to take on a cruise is a very common task.. best not to leave without something that may not be able to be obtained in another location.

Yes and I to take items that may not be regularly used on a sailing but believe it is essential for our particular need.

Greetings from N.J neighbor.Thank you for seeing my point of view but as I have also said before to each their own. I rather have and not need than need and not have. By the way just for the record ( Jeffrey ) is just part of my nickname for this site I am a female. That was my mothers maiden name and I like to use it some times it helps keep her memory alive in my heart. And being a female you can imagine almost everything but the kitchen sink goes on board with me.

It’s an Illy machine. The coffee is not quite as good as our Nespresso, but very acceptable and the machine easy to use.

Thanks for that information. I do love my Nespresso machine too. Assume I can still order coffee from the butler though. Will have to test the Illy out at some point.

Greetings from N.J neighbor.Thank you for seeing my point of view but as I have also said before to each their own. I rather have and not need than need and not have. By the way just for the record ( Jeffrey ) is just part of my nickname for this site I am a female. That was my mothers maiden name and I like to use it some times it helps keep her memory alive in my heart. And being a female you can imagine almost everything but the kitchen sink goes on board with me.
BRAVO!

I too don't think the ship has enough kitchen sinks. But there some thinks (small and electronic) items that do add to the convenience during sailings. Ex..small thermometer to tell the temp on the balcony in the morn. Some snack items per say....to name a few...

Beautiful sentiment in your use of your online name. Where in NJ?

Bklynboy is my hometown name like the Boro I reside in.

Make a good list and Bon Voyage!

BRAVO!

I too don't think the ship has enough kitchen sinks. But there some thinks (small and electronic) items that do add to the convenience during sailings. Ex..small thermometer to tell the temp on the balcony in the morn. Some snack items per say....to name a few...

Beautiful sentiment in your use of your online name. Where in NJ?

Bklynboy is my hometown name like the Boro I reside in.

Make a good list and Bon Voyage!

Saddle Brook- used to also live for many years in the UK.

I rather have and not need than need and not have.

Jeffrey!

A woman after my own heart! While I don't make a list, I do have a rucksack that is my carry-on bag which is always packed with items I "always" need. DH travels about 40 weeks of every year, and he has an excel spreadsheet for everything. We both agree, better to be over prepared, than to need something unattainable.

In Delhi this March I spent three days trying to find soaking solution for my hard contact lenses, which proved to be nearly impossible, so I could spontaneously travel an extra four weeks with DH to Burma and Hong Kong. Finally met a wonderful optician who ordered what we both believed to be the right product. It turned out to be lens cleaner! Which I discovered when I blithely popped a lens into my eye. Ended up wearing my glasses until we made it to HK. Now, an extra bottle of soaking solution is in that rucksack.

We gypsies plan ahead, even for formal nights. (DH always packs his tuxedo, even when trekking in Nepal.)

DH travels about 40 weeks in a year. He always has his tuxedo packed in his suitcase, even when trekking in Nepal.

So yes, gypsies do formal.

I guess some people like to travel with as little as possible. Like your husband I do an excel spread sheet and when something comes to mind I add it. The thing I think that surprises most people when I say I take a roll of duct tape- reason for that is in the event of a tear in luggage or broken handle- hey presto...