Vancouver Resident Help Wanted

We are arriving in Vancouver on 6/30/05 for a precruise stay. Ship leaves 7/02/05. I understand that we will be in you city for Canada Day. Are there any special activites planned that we should take in? What else would you suggest as a "not to be missed" excursion? We are 5 families traveling together. I am not sure where we want to stay, was hoping for suggestions. We would like to be near area attractions, restaurants and the cruise ship terminal. We are on the Radiance, not sure which terminal she sails from.

will most likely sail from Ballantyne Pier about 2 miles from the downtown core - no hotels in that area as it is in an industrial area - the 2005 cruise ship schedule is not available yet but RCCL has traditionally sailed from Ballantyne Pier in past years.

As for Canada Day there will be lot's of free entertainment at Canada Place and other downtown locals.

I am sure that Grouchy, BC happy Gal and Ell will also provide you some more information.

You might also want to bookmark this site: http://www.tourismvancouver.com for more information on events etc.

Cheers

Dennis

Absolutely check out Canada Place for Canada Day. Here's a link to the 2004 Canada Celebrations. Click on the Photo Gallery to get an idea of what goes on. Fireworks were cancelled last year, but there are lots of people trying to get them reinstated.

Try staying downtown at a 4* hotel on a Priceline bid. Only problem might be getting all 5 families at the same hotel. The Hyatt and Marriott Pinnacle have been the most successful Priceline bids recently.

Not to be missed: Stanley Park (there's a trolley that circles the park or you can do what the locals do and walk, cycle or rollerblade around the seawall), the Aquarium, Granville Island, Robson St. for the shoppers, and Capilano Suspension Bridge.

Other suggestions: Take the Vancouver Trolley - it's a hop on and off tour of the most popular sites in Vancouver. Go up to Grouse Mountain on the gondola. Try some of our ethnic restaurants - notably Chinese, Japanese, East Indian, Italian, etc. Ride the Aquabus ferry around False Creek.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

ell

ell52, urban trekker and grouchy thank you so much for your suggestions. It is so helpful and reassuring to get the advice from locals. I will start looking into all of your suggestions. I am sure that I will have more questions as the time gets closer. Once again, thanks for the help.

Marissa

• 2 weeks later...

another suggestion: Steveston was a fishing community many years ago. It is located in Richmond area (by the airport) Great to get your fill of seafood while sitting by the water! nice shops too. Quaint place.

other suggestions above are all wonderful! How about Queen Elizabeth Park--relaxing, gorgeous!

Definitely: Stanley Park. Instead of Cap. Bridge, try Lynn Canyon for a change of pace. Also Museum of Anthropology at Univ. of British Columbia. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Great info thanks!:) I like to go to places that I am familiar with--Feel lost when I don't know anything :eek: Keep giving me an education about VANCOUVER I already like it just by what I am reading everyone is saying they wish they spent more time there!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are driving, Lynne Canyon is a better place to visit than Capilano Suspension b/c it's free. It's the same style bridge. I believe admission is $12 per person.

Near the Pier is a an Excellent Info centre with lots of brochures and coupons. These brochures are the same brochures I use when I want to be a local tourist.The staff there seems to know absolutely everything and oh so friendly.

Archived