Princess Antarctica Excursions

detroitwingsfan

Yes, Princess did. It left from Punta Arenas,Chile and fly to a Chilean station. It was a 2 and half hour flight each way. Because of weather it oft times did not go. In 2008 you had to pay 180 u.s. even if it did not go, did some other tour. We did the last plane I believe on the Star in April of 2008. It was 1800 usd each and it was worth every penny. You can not take any food or eat on the land, and we had to follow in the footsteps of our group leader. Everything you took was expected to be removed by you. No soil of plant life was to be removed. It was one of the best experiences that we ever had. Last year, 2009 season it was not offered. I have heard that it was because of cost and limited assist to Anarctica. If, the offered it again, I would be first in line. Check the excursions when they come up.

• 4 weeks later...

It was not offered when we were on the Star Princess February 2009. We were told it was because it was quite expensive and so frequently it was cancelled.

Even without setting foot on Antarctica, our cruise was amazing! Exceeded our expectations in every way!

• 2 weeks later...

There are many postings on this site about small ships that do landings. We decided on the Prince Albert II from Silverseas since we couldn't take the longer cruises and National Georgraphic was much more expensive. Depending on your needs if you search this web site you will find a ship that does actual landings. We too were booked on a larger ship and decided for a once in a lifetime cruise we were not going to do a sail by but we were going to land. Good luck to you and whatever you decide I am sure it will be spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Star in January and as mentioned, the flight was not offered but it was still an incredible trip. There are great things to see on either side of the ship. We were blessed with fantastic weather and calm seas. If you go Port Stanley, Patrick Watts does a great tour to Volunteer Point but it fills up fast so contact him and book in advance. Wish I was going again.

• 2 months later...

We're on Princess Star 1/17/10 and this excursion was just added for our itinerary. It's not cheap...$3,299. pp for the 10.5 hour trip. The flight leaves from the Punta Arenas airport and goes to Villa Las Estrellas research station and onto a guided hike. It sounds wonderful!!! But not within my budget this time.

i keep waivering between the MS Fram, an icebreaker that does real landings, and the Celebrity driveby for two days (I think it is the Infinity). I am currently daily watching the Fram's webcam. But I can't decide. The Infinity would be a real cruise that has other ports and other things to see and do, but the Fram would be a real adventure.

Beverly

Beverly,

Go with the Fram, you will not regret it. My review of my Hurtigruten Antarctic cruise dec 06 is in member reviews & contains a link to my photos on webshots. Their polar circle boats are far superior to zodiacs used by smaller ships. Look for Nordkapp ship, Fram is basically an up to date version of this ship but specially built for cold water cruise expeditions. Good luck hope you get as good a weather window as we did.

We're on Princess Star 1/17/10 and this excursion was just added for our itinerary. It's not cheap...$3,299. pp for the 10.5 hour trip. The flight leaves from the Punta Arenas airport and goes to Villa Las Estrellas research station and onto a guided hike. It sounds wonderful!!! But not within my budget this time.

We will be on this cruise too - this would be fantastic, but for 2 people is way out of budget! Slightly off-topic, can anyone recommend any shore excursions in Punta Arenas? And is the Patrick Watts tour to Volunteer Point worth the 5 hour journey?! It seems a long time to spend in a car!

• 4 weeks later...
We will be on this cruise too - this would be fantastic, but for 2 people is way out of budget! Slightly off-topic, can anyone recommend any shore excursions in Punta Arenas? And is the Patrick Watts tour to Volunteer Point worth the 5 hour journey?! It seems a long time to spend in a car!

The Infinity Jan 17 will be stopping in PA so while I was down there I posted this on their thread. One lady wanted a morning tour of Magdelena Island which is only occassional possible if you have just one day. The Taverna de la Union is not open for lunch. Go across from Jose Nogueria hotel to La Fabia for empenadas. I would take a Taxi to Cerra de la Cruz and visit the Plaza de arms and Dreams and that is what there is for sight seeing unless you have something else in mind. Penguins--Magdelena Island tour takes most of the day as does Otway tour, so see PA or Penguins.

The Professor Multanovskiy did have Tabasco.

Punta Arenas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a new hotel called Dreams in Punta Arenas and the view from the top is spectatular. I walked in and went to the desk and asked if I could go to the top for a view. They said that it was closed, but the Concierge took me in the elevator to the 11th floor. You can see all of Punta Arenas, the Magellan Strait and Provenir and Terra del Fuego etc, from here. Bring binoculars. I am not sure if they would give cruise passengers a hard time going to the 11th floor for a drink or not. At 9 AM they were not busy and the Concierge Hernan Cardenas took me up. The bar was closed of course. If you have trouble ask for Hernan Cardenas and tell him the Louisiana man with the image stabilization binoculars and the blue Alaska jacket recommended him and to take care of you. The hotel just opened in March of this year so they should want good advertisement. It is one of the most magnificent structures in P.A. It is a tall blue building with kind of an angle at the top for it´s design. It is not part of Dreams in Pueerta Vallarta, but have hotels in Bolivia and some place else that I have forgotten.

If you get any Chilean Pesos get all 1000 units. It is what you deal in for most everything. Cab fares are 1000 or mil pesos as they say and is about $2. the cab fare from Dreams to Cerro de la Cruz was 1000 pesos (mil pesos).

Most city tours will bring you to the Cerro de la Cruz which I didn´t find yesterday correctly while walking. I should have walked up Fagano street across Avenda Espana and I could have reached the point I was looking for. I had walked up Seguel and should have been one street over and I would have found what I was looking for.

Most city tours of course will take you to the Plaza which is where the statue of Magellan is. I touched his foot last time so I am back.

Across the street (North side) is the Sara Braun house now a museum (1000 pesos) and not much to see, but if your are facing the front door look to the left (inside the iron gate) and you will see Taberna Club de La Union and go down the stairs. It is great for beer, sandwich pisco sour or whatever for a light lunch with a nice atmosphere and recommended by Fodors. Sara Braun house, and the Jose Nagueria hotel are one and the same. After the little tour of the house the guy opened a door and I was in the restaurant of the Jose Nagueria hotel. Probably expensive, but the Taberna Club de la Union was great for 8000 pesos.

If you are looking at the front of the Sara Braun house the Taberna is inside the gate and down the stairs, but furthur to the left on Jose Nogueria street outside the iron fence of Sara Braun house (to the North on Bories St) one half block down is a shopping mall. It is a large white building.

There will be many stands on the Plaza selling wares.

On my last trip I remember being brought to Cerro de la Cruz, the viewing point and then to the Plaza.

Dreams had not been bult in 2004, but I am glad that I went in and asked because this would be the best recommendation I could give to anyone visiting Punta Arenas for a view. After walking around for 2 days lookiing for a view, I was thrilled to find this one and wanted to pass it on.

I am not sure of the opening hours of the de La Union taverna, so they may or may not be open for lunch at 12 noon. Not many eathing places open. I ate at Sotitos and they didn't open until 8 pm, but had a cracked king crab (Centolla) that was just like the one I had in Ushuaia in 2004 except they didn´t have the big shell over the meat when it was served. They have tobasco if asked. I think every place in the world has Tobasco from Louisiana. If they have it aboard the Professor Multanovskiy I will be floored.

Bon Voyage.

Joe

Archived