San Fran must sees

cpayne

I'll be accompanying my husband for a 2 day layover in San Francisco (business related) on 12/24 and 12/25. Not a cruise unfortunately, but thought all of my fellow cc members would be a good source of information of great things to do/see.

Also, any locals out there that can comment on what may/may not be open during the holidays?

Thanks!

Even if things are closed on Christmas, still lots to see. Try Lombard Street, Chinatown, Golden Gate Park and the Wharf.

And on Friday, check out Union Square, South of Market (for discount shopping), drinks at the Top of the Mark, maybe a 'cruise' out to Alcatraz.

SF is a great city with tons of stuff to do. Ride a cable car, have cannoli in South Beach, clam chowder at the wharf and take pictures at Coit Tower.

Here are some other things to do:

Visit Angel Island to see the "Ellis Island of the West"

Visit Fort Point for both the history and the view of the underneath side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Visit Alcatraz.

Have breakfast at the Cliff House.

Rent a car and drive up to Muir Woods (about 30 min drive) (which also gets you driving across the Golden Gate bridge).

Shop!!!

Eat!!! San Francisco is a great eating city. Try lots of ethnic foods and great seafood.

Go to Christmas Eve services at the new St. Mary's

I am assuming most museums, etc. will be close on Christmas. You might look into special Christmas dinners at one of the more elegant older hotels such as the St. Francis or The Garden Court of the Palace Hotel.

Definitely ride a cable car, go up Coit Tower and drive or walk down Lombard street. Chirstmas in the City is amazing.

(don't call the City "Frisco" or "San Fran" to the natives...not popular. It is either San Francisco or The City.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived