Windsurf Cat A vs. Cat B

new_cruiser

Just got an email from my TA saying we have been upgraded from a Category B (125) to Category A (229). Looking at the deck plan, I can't see any difference between the two categories other than being one deck higher. Is there any other difference? Do both have portholes rather than windows?

On the deck plan, it looks like there is a space between some of the cabins including a space between 229 and 227. Does that space really exist and what is in it?

Do the portholes open for a little fresh air?

There's no difference that I could tell between those cabins other than distance to the water. No, the portholes don't open. They need to stay water-tight in case waves splash that high. You made me curious about the spaces between cabins, so I had to have a look at the deck plans. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the fire doors were at those intervals. They may be stored in those spaces when not in use.

We agree with Mousemeat that A and B cabins are identical. It probably would be nice to be one deck higher than the B cabin (154) we had recently: in rough water, waves sometimes were higher than our porthole. Have your TA make sure that the "space" does not mean that your cabin is near the very noisy ice machines.

Because of the crazy numbering on the two bottom decks, 125 is closer to the middle of the ship than 229 (but 125 may also be closer to the ice machine).

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, Mousemeat pretty much had the answer on the spaces. Most of the spaces are where the water tight doors close (which also act as fire doors but they are more impressive than the average fire door). There is also one spot on each side of deck 2 for the door to access the tender and the associated equipment (bag scanner, etc.).

Archived