Digital Camera

CanadianMAG

I have two memory cards one with 256 (or something like that), and the one that came with the camera that holds like 15 pics. What happens if I fill up one of them, is there a place I can pop the card to upload them to CD?? Will I need my USB cord? or do they have the things for just the card.

You may get more specific details about the capabilities aboard your specific ship by asking on your specific ship's cruise line message board. One thing to consider those is that many digital camera memory cards are now dirt cheap. It may make more sense just to pick up a few more 256 MB cards. My wife and I have almost 1 GB each and it wasn't that expensive.

The ship should have capability to burn a cd for you from just about any card. On the Pride in Feb, they did not have an xd card adaptor so I couldn't do mine on board. As already stated, if you tend to take a lot of pictures, take extra cards. I take 3 256 cards for 4meg camera, and I just bought another. Xd cards are not so dirt cheap but getting better. Cost to burn a cd for you is between $10-15.

HI there

Best buy and The Future Shop here in Ontario both have the Scan Disk 512 on for $ 89.99 then, less an instant rebate of $ 15.00 and a mail in rebate for another $ 15.00 final cost is $ 59.99 plus taxes and you get appx 320 pictures on a 3.2 pixel....

The other sizes are also on sale...

Happy Holidays....

If you're a Costco member, check them out too. Bought 512 mg for camera last week. If I remember correctly, I paid $59 (maybe $69).

I'm not a computer nut - certainly wouldn't pack a laptop to download pics on a cruise, nor I am much of a camera gal either - just point and shoot. So, for me, it's much easier to buy more memory "things" - whatever you call them, and have DH do all the downloading, cropping, etc. when we get home.

I agree with the other posters (and your own conclusion it seems). Buy more memory and worry about the tranfering of files for when you come back from vacation. Just keep an eye on how many photos you're taking. If you're taking 500 photos a day then you'll need sufficient memory for that!

Have fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 1gig card (holds on higest resolution about 1100 photos. I used it I also had brought both my 512 & 2 256 cards. The probelm is most "stores" can't read the whole 1gig (only to about 300-350 photos). So I would buy the 256 or 512 cards. If you don't plan on making them into 8x10s then you can do a medium resolution. I do remember that NOS had a place you could burn photos, but it cost. Yes, I admit I'm a photo junkie. ;)

Remember better to be safe than sorry. You may find that you use or take more than you think you will. I also found I did better with rechargeable batteries than regular ones. I had two sets, and always had the "extra" set charging. I do believe they had some memory cards for sale, but towards the end sold out of them. I do not remember how much they were. Best Buy always has them on sale.

I also didn't tell you I have an SLR camera and took 40 rolls. :eek:

Good luck!!

Wendy

I'd really warn folks against making the decision that they'll not want to make 8x10 prints. You never know what you'll see -- what you'll capture with your camera. A little extra investment in memory, and using a decently high resolution, could end up paying off.

You can get some really fantastic deals on eBay for extra memory cards. They run about 25-30% of retail and you can buy the name brands you see in the stores. I have purchased twice and it was a fantastic deal each time.

I tried to get info re: downloading pix to CD while on board but never got a response. It seems service varies ship to ship and tends to be much $$. It started to sound like alot of trouble so I did like the others. I picked up an addditional 256 card for under $30.00 at Future Shop (they price matched Staples cheap, but mail-in rebated price) Cards that size (and 512's) are really cheap now that the 1 GB are out.

You can get some really fantastic deals on eBay for extra memory cards. They run about 25-30% of retail and you can buy the name brands you see in the stores. I have purchased twice and it was a fantastic deal each time.

The only problem is they charge a duty of almost 100% to Canadians, making it the same price as the stores.

They run about 25-30% of retail and you can buy the name brands you see in the stores. I have purchased twice and it was a fantastic deal each time.

Do you know the name of the person you bought them from on Ebay?

FH is American, so it will work fine for me, i get all my Ebay purchases sent to him... he does come in handy you know :rolleyes:

I can not remember the eBay person I got them from. There are tons of them on there now. Just use good sense and check shipping and feedback etc. Also use PayPal so you are somewhat protected. I sell a lot on eBay so I am comfortable buying there as well. I like to snipe (wait to the last minute) and have come out pretty well. Good luck!

You know eBay where you can buy a grilled cheese sandwich that looks like the Virgin Mary. lol

Or better yet $20,000 for some snow from Texas, no gaurantees it will be in snow forum upon delivery!

You may get more specific details about the capabilities aboard your specific ship by asking on your specific ship's cruise line message board. One thing to consider those is that many digital camera memory cards are now dirt cheap. It may make more sense just to pick up a few more 256 MB cards. My wife and I have almost 1 GB each and it wasn't that expensive.

how many picture can i put on my san disk 512 card? i was told it was a lot but i would like to know how many.

thanks

dean & alice

That answer depends on what pixel camera you have. If you have a 3.2, the 300+sounds about right at highest resolution. If you have a 5mg, then you will get a lot less. For my 4meg camera, I get 92 photos at highest resolution. Shooting at highest will give you best pictures, especially if you want 8x10 or larger. Remember if you have a photo cropped, it really reduces the size of the enlargement you can make with the number of pixels you shot at. Too complicated? Take lots of memory cards, most are getting dirt cheap on sale at right stores.

depends on your camera resolution! And, really, for this type of trip, you will want high resolutions so your pictures come out nice, fresh and clear. Grainy, blurry photos are such a disappointment. On my Canon with the camera in the highest setting and on a 1600x1200 size (enough for a nice 4x6" print) I can fit about 250-300 pics on a 250 meg card. I, too, need to find out if the ship has the ability to burn a CD in the computer lab. If they do I will take my USB card reader and swap the memory to disc to help insure that something doesn't happen to the pictures.

My dad will travel with 8-9 128 meg cards and keep them in a little file (couple bucks at Wal-Mart) with a list of where each card was taken.

Experiment with you camera and see what size and resolution you like best and you camera should tell you how many pics will fit on the card and then buy however many you think you will need plus one more!

I was wonder what to do about the same problems and decided that haveing alot of memory cards just would not work. I found one solution from Micro Soultions - Roadstor. it is a stand alone CD burner/DVD player, with 6 in 1 card reader. Found it a Curcuit city on sale and picked one up today. I sofar has better my expetations (sp). I put over 200 pictures on a SD card I had and then burned it on a CD-RW, it took around 5 minutes to do the task. I put it on one of my computers and it was able to read the disk with no problems. The roadstor has a neet funtion that allows you to view on your TV what is on your memory card or disk. Wow I found it to be really nice feature. Great slide show.

There are other items out there that do the same thing, go to Ebay and search "image tank". I had my eye on one of the items there but I was able to get my hand on the roadstor. Also it is about 1/4 or smaller then size of a laptop and battery powered and can be a dvd player when hooked to a TV, also a MP3 player. Its worth a look and you won't have to take a laptop

Enjoy

Now that is a cool looking toy! I did look it over and came to the conclusion that I would prefer the smaller cards to pack around and not risk having anything too spendy in my luggage to damage. I am going to run down to Circuit City and test drive this thing, however, as it looks really cool!:)

A portable cd burner is always an option and they are starting to come down a little in price. My son has one that I took on our last Alaska 2 wk plus trip. I did burn three cds along the way. The problem is that it is relatvely bulky compared to 3-4 extra memory cards. I had a case, ac/dc adaptor, batter pack, extra batteries, instruc book, cds. If you go this way, take extra cds with you, as I had 3 not work and wasted them. They appeared to burn but ended up saying not sucessful and I had to redo. Plus the price runs about $275 and up, more for accessories.

My father always gets a special sovineer on his cruises, and asked me what I did. I explained that my photos are my sovineers. They're very important to me.

I can't trust that a CD was properly burned, unless I have a laptop with me. Flash memory is cheap, and getting cheaper. I carry enough to cover the whole trip. Personally, I then copy them to a Archos hard drive nightly....not to get the photos off the cards...just as a backup. Cards don't get erased until I get home, and confirm they're appropriately archived there.

I've have a 5MP P&S, for which I take about 5 x 256Mb cards per week shooting jpeg (about 500 photos). Next trip will include a DSLR shooting raw. I figure I'll need 2 x 1Gb before that trip.

By the way, I was in Best Buy. Really high prices. Costco too. I use http://www.pricegrabber.com, only using vendors that have higher than a 4 star rating (e.g. 4.5 or so). Also, I really like B&H Photo in New York. Very reputable. They're listing 512Mb Sandisk CF right now for $44.95.

Good shooting,

Archived