Luxury Cruising

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Luxury means that people know your name and treat you like an individual instead of a number.This is called perfect luxury.Thanks for this worthy info.

It also means they remember your name and preferences. Of course that is just one of many things that defines luxury on a cruise ship.

There were so many interesting comments in that article. Apparently, some people still think that luxury cruising means you have to wear more jewelry and dress up. Guess they are not aware of Seabourn and Regent's dress codes.

I think there is something to be said about staying in the best suite on a mass market cruise ship. While it is not something we would want to do, my friends find that they are treated like royalty and are given perks that are not given on luxury cruise lines where everyone is treated the same (special).

In terms of remembering a passengers name. . . . while I think it's great, it is easier to accomplish on smaller ships (like Seabourn's triplets at 209 passengers) than on Crystal with 1000 passengers or Regent with 700. On Regent, there are quite a few people who remember our names. . . even more who remember our preferences.

Do you really believe they "remember" your name right away?

More likely they "study" your name...

It has never meant luxury to me to be addressed by my name, though I don't mind one way or the other. Terms such as "sir" or "madame" are fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I must agree with Wripro. . . . unless you hire your own luxury yacht, you are bound by timetables. You are in port a certain length of time. . . . . meals are served within certain hours, etc. I am on board a Regent ship in Alaska as I post. The crew, for the most part, know our names, the ports are what they are. . . . there are limited ports in Alaska that can accommodate even the small luxury ships. "Christiw", from your post, it appears that you are either from the U.K., Canada or Australia. This is an up and coming segment of the cruising population. Silversea was the first luxury cruise line (that I am aware of) that began advertising outside of the U.S. and Canada. I suspect that they meet the needs of their passengers quite well.

Out of curiosity, which luxury cruise lines have you sailed on?

It's hard to go on any cruise, luxury or not, without a timetable as all port visits are in effect, on a timetable. Unless, of course, one never gets off the ship.

I agree. There are timetables for not only the ports but for many of the activities and even for the meals. No one is forced to do any of these things but nevertheless there are timetables.

Keith

Archived