pre-visit to cruise

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 PM.
3,016 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Because of current security issues, the answer is basically No.

My suggestion is to start with a 3 or 4 night cruise. That's what we did. Now we don't take anything less than 10 nights and prefer 14.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My travel blogs --
personal travel blog - Travel Snippets and More
general travel info blog - Travel Ideas. Travel Hints. Travel Warnings.

Colorado Springs, CO
58 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by lolakitty37
as i never cruised before - can we visit a cruise ship before we decide if we want to book? thanks
Check with Princess, I just read where for a minimal charge guests can board the ship for 3 hrs and have lunch with their hosts, tour the ship but will get off before the ship is to leave the port
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Travels!

Vancouver, BC
43 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
You should try a mini cruise. I did an NCL "Cruise to Nowhere" for 2 nights. It was a sample of cruising from Vancouver to Seattle. We're now trying an 8 day cruise in November and really looking forward to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed:
* RCCL Navigator of the Seas Mar '15-Western Caribbean (Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
* Carnival Magic Nov '12-Western Caribbean
(Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
* Carnival Spirit Nov '10-Exotic Mexican Riviera
(Acapulco, Zihua, Manzanillo)
* NCL Pearl May '09 - Pacific Coastal
(Vancouver, Seattle)
Romsey England
11,564 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by tessa681
Check with Princess, I just read where for a minimal charge guests can board the ship for 3 hrs and have lunch with their hosts, tour the ship but will get off before the ship is to leave the port
And one minor UK cruiseline (Thomson) is offering a day-visit for about $75 with food etc, much like a day-pass to a resort. I've also heard of such visits with other cruiselines.
As with bridge tours, or inviting friends on at ports of call, too many folk are too quick to post that such things are impossible due to security etc. They may not be the norm with most major lines, but they do happen and it's always worth asking.
Another plus for the minnows.

John Bull
Southwest Florida
6,916 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Perhaps you can call the cruise line that has a port close to your home (RCCL is out of Port Liberty) and ask the question.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Talk to me: [email protected]

Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been - Jimmy Buffett, My Idol

11/07 Majesty of the Seas, 4/08 Grandeur of the Seas, 1/09 Majesty of the Seas, 9/09 Freedom of the Seas, 11/09 Majesty of the Seas, 4/10 Explorer of the Seas, 10/10 Serenade of the Seas. 11/10 Majesty of the Seas, 2/11 Majesty of the Seas, 11/11 Navigator of the Seas, 3/12 Liberty of the Seas, 11/12 Carnival Pride, 11/12 Adventure of the Seas (Back to Back), 3/13 Freedom of the Seas, 9/13 Brilliance of the Seas, 12/13 Independence of the Seas, 5/14 Explorer of the Seas, 1/15 Liberty of the Seas, 4/15 Celebrity Equinox, 10/15 Freedom of the Seas, 5/16 Allure of the Seas
Virginia Beach
1,125 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by lolakitty37
as i never cruised before - can we visit a cruise ship before we decide if we want to book? thanks
Just a question - what would you hope to find to either help or discourage your decision. I am asking out of curiosity as I know many folks that are unsure about this type of vacation.
The Third Coast - Nashville
7,880 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
My question also - what do you hope to learn by visiting a ship? Maybe if you have specific concerns or questions, you could post them and we could help you out. Visiting a ship that's docked is not going to give you a feel for the cruise experience, in my opinion.

Roz
Moon Township, Pa
23,174 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
If you live in Florida, cruise lines regularly have luncheons on board ships just to allow potential customers the chance to see the ship. I have friends who live in South Florida and they go on these things a few times a year. They even did a free cruise to nowhere on Sea Dream. They've had lunches on HAL, Regent, Princess and MSC using this method. And, all those lunches were free. They do this in connection with their travel agent, who happens to be with a large agency that's primarily known for car problems/road travel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darcie