Unauthorized booking

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:28 AM.
Puyallup, WA
1,658 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I booked a cruise directly with Princess yesterday. Earlier in the weekend, I had checked with a website where different travel agents give "competing" quotes. I didn't accept any of the quotes, because they were mostly more expensive than booking directly with Princess. A few were about the same, and one or 2 were minimally less - not enough for me to take a chance on.

This morning I logged onto Princess Personalizer, and saw the passenger immigration section was showing "incomplete". I thought that was odd, since I had completed it yesterday and printed out our boarding passes and luggage tags. So I completed it again, and went back to the home page of Personalizer. I looked closer, and there were TWO bookings for my cruise now showing - one with my original booking number, and another booking that had been made by a travel agent that I had never spoken to or communicated with!!! I called Princess, and the agent thought it was odd, too - she said it was a temporary hold, and would drop out of the system after a day or two since no deposit had been made.

I was worried - since I had completed the Personalizer passenger immigration forms, including setting up my onboard account with my credit card. Princess assured me that my info is secure - but it still shook me up that a travel agent went ahead and booked a cruise for me without my knowledge!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maine
10,235 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Whoo
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I booked a cruise directly with Princess yesterday. Earlier in the weekend, I had checked with a website where different travel agents give "competing" quotes. I didn't accept any of the quotes, because they were mostly more expensive than booking directly with Princess. A few were about the same, and one or 2 were minimally less - not enough for me to take a chance on.

This morning I logged onto Princess Personalizer, and saw the passenger immigration section was showing "incomplete". I thought that was odd, since I had completed it yesterday and printed out our boarding passes and luggage tags. So I completed it again, and went back to the home page of Personalizer. I looked closer, and there were TWO bookings for my cruise now showing - one with my original booking number, and another booking that had been made by a travel agent that I had never spoken to or communicated with!!! I called Princess, and the agent thought it was odd, too - she said it was a temporary hold, and would drop out of the system after a day or two since no deposit had been made.

I was worried - since I had completed the Personalizer passenger immigration forms, including setting up my onboard account with my credit card. Princess assured me that my info is secure - but it still shook me up that a travel agent went ahead and booked a cruise for me without my knowledge!
I can olny deal with the Immigration Section. This happened to me just before our last cruise - the flashing in red Incomplete next to our immigration stuff. I called Princess and they assured me it was done.
They send a blast email to everyone who will be on an upcoming cruise and the system cannot differentiate between who has completed it and who has not. So they just put it as not completed.

I would check again for the "second" booking to disappear. Usually the hold is only for 24 hours
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Adele (&Bob)

Caribbean Princess - Dec. 20, 2017
Crown Princess - April 6, 2019

Proud Member of the Red Sox & Patriot Nations.

Boston Strong
7,706 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Whoo,

If you know the agency that put the hold on the cabin, I would call them and find out what is going on.

Maria
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<

12/10/17 & 1/4/18 & 3/4/18
Regal Princess
Seven Nights Caribbean Cruise

Nashville, TN
3,382 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
This has happened to me in the past, nothing to worry about. The TA put the booking on a 24 hr hold for you, to make sure they had secured the pricing and availability that you were asking about. It will drop off if no deposit as made, as did mine. It's not unscrupulous. But I too was a bit confused about the double booking because I didn't go with that TA but booked directly with the CL. Happy Sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/14 b2b Celebrity Century; 10/11 HAL Zuiderdam; 11/09 HAL Eurodam; 10/18/08 HAL Noordam; Azamara Quest 11/24/07; HAL Ryndam 11/06; HAL Veendam 12/05; NCL Spirit 7/05; HAL Statendam 12/04; Diamond Princess 10/04; Dawn Princess 5/04;HAL Ryndam 12/03; Pacific Princess 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; 1988 Admiral Stardancer

FUTURE: 02/16 Celebrity Constellaion
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
TA's will do a hold and it shows as a booking, it will drop off.

No deposit no booking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
San Antonio, Texas
4,315 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
The same thing happened to me. I was a bit freaked out but like others said, it dropped off after a day or so.

My (now) TA said this is a normal thing for travel agents to do. They hold a cabin for you in case you decide to book with them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea
7/97 Carnival Jubilee - Mex Riviera

12/04 Empress of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
12/07 Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

4/08 Carnival Destiny - S. Caribbean
4/10 Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean
9/10 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

1/11 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean Photos
2/11 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel Photos
8/11 Star Princess - E. Med/Greek Isles Photos
4/12 Jewel of the Seas - W. Caribbean
4/12 Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean
3/13 Monarch of the Seas (farewell cruise) - Bahamas Photos
11/13 Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Jewel of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean Photos
4/15 Serenade of the Seas - Nola to Boston
10/15 Serenade of the Seas - Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

4/16 Regal Princess - W. Caribbean
5/16 Coral Princess - Alaska
2/17 Coral Princess - Panama Canal Photos

4/17 Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean

Next cruise(s)
4/2018 Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand
5/2019 Celebrity Constellation - Europe

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
24,987 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Yes - this is common. This let's the agent hold the price they quoted while you decide.

If they didn't do this and you called the agent back to book the cruise, the price may have gone up and they would not have been able to honor the price.

So - all is well. Nothing wrong with checking it out to make sure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
WA
1,464 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Cruzin-K
The same thing happened to me. I was a bit freaked out but like others said, it dropped off after a day or so.

My (now) TA said this is a normal thing for travel agents to do. They hold a cabin for you in case you decide to book with them.
This is why you should always check back if you're interested in a particular cabin number and it shows unavailable when you first try. It might just be on a 24 hour hold and could be released back to open inventory when the hold expires. Princess or your TA might be able to tell you if that particular cabin booking is just a hold or does already have a paid deposit on it. You might also check back on or near final payment day to see if the original booking has been canceled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings,
Paul

Emerald Princess 6/17...Royal Princess 1/17...HAL Westerdam 1/16...Crown Princess 9/15...Star Princess 5/15...Regal Princess 11/14...Grand Princess 10/14...Regal Princess 5/14 (Maiden Voyage)...Caribbean Princess 9/13...Coral Princess 3/13...Golden Princess 5/10...Sapphire Princess 1/10...Coral Princess 9/09...Pacific, Golden & Star Princess 9/09...Sapphire Princess 5/09...Ruby Princess 1/09...Sapphire Princess 9/08...Coral Princess 9/07...Golden Princess 9/07...Grand Princess 1/07...Sapphire Princess 1/06...RCCL Grandeur 1/05...Celebrity Mercury 1/04...Golden Princess 11/01...Carnival Imagination 7/98
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2,967 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Very unnerving. I called Princess and they said it would expire in 72 hours, it eventually did but I didn't like it sticking around the way it did. When you take a courtesy hold with other lines, that doesn't happen so it's a shock to open the Personalizer and see a new cruise there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Infi
68 cruises: Carnival, Celebrity (Elite +), Costa, Cunard, Holland America (), Princess (Elite), Sitmar, Home Lines, Chandris, Dolphin, and others long gone but not forgotten

Photos: Our cruises
Most recent cruises:

Prinsendam - Christmas & NYE - 12/18/16

Maasdam - 14 day Alaska Explorer - 7/4/16
Amsterdam - Panama Canal, SD-FLL, Christmas & NYE - 12/18/15
Prinsendam - Christmas & NYE - 12/18/14
Amsterdam - Panama Canal, SD-FLL, Christmas & NYE - 12/20/13

Email: Email me

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBermuda bound on the Veendam

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSouth America & Antarctica Holiday - 10th annual Holiday cruise
Staten Island NY
285 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
I booked thru an on line agent and gave them my CC# (full payment since it was only 10 wks b4 cruise). I did immigration stuff etc and then when I went in to check again to do preferances etc next day, reservation was gone. I called Princess and they said to call agency, which I did. They didnt send deposit thru quickly enough. All worked out OK and we're leaving in 2wks on this cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
lst cruises -1972 and 1973 Home Lines
Diamond PLUS RCCL member
LAST MINUTE CRUISE ON CARIBBEAN PRINCESS -MAY 18, 2010 -BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
JAN 13 2010 FIRST NORWEGIEN CRUISE

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS 5-1-09 FIRST MEDITERRANIAN CRUISE
01-22-2013 Explorer of the Seas
July 14 2013 Celebrity Summit for DH Birthday
Dec 2 2013 Explorer
Dec 1st 2014 -Quantum
PLUS
6,285 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The first time I saw an "unauthorized booking" on my cruise personaliser I went through the roof. Then I found out it was a courtesy hold that a TA will put on the cruise so he/she doesn't loose the pricing and cabin that they offered you. It goes away in a few days if you decide not to book.

So you can relax........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Kindness is the highest form of intelligence." W. Teasdale
cruising.calm ggprincess 2004

Upcoming: - Oct-Nov 2017 Diamond Princess b2b2b2b; March 2018 Caribbean Princess ; May 2018 Golden Princess b2b; October 2018 Royal Princess; March - May 2019 Golden Princess b2b2b2b
Completed: April 2017 Grand Princess b2b; Nov 2016 Caribbean Princess b2b; March 2016 Grand Princess; Nov 2015 Celebrity Reflection; May-June 2015 Grand Princess b2b; Oct-Nov 2014 b2b2b Caribbean Princess; August 2014 Caribbean Princess b2b; April 2014 Caribbean Princess; February 2014 Ruby Princess b2b Caribbean;October/November 2012 Grand Princess b2b Canary Islands and crossing; January 2012 Emerald Princess Caribbean; October 2011 Ruby Princess b2b Med and crossing; August 2011 Sea Princess Alaska; March 2011 Coral Princess, Panama Canal; Feb 2011 Grand Princess S. Caribbean, Oct 2010 Crown Princess Western Caribbean, July 2010 Caribbean Princess New York r/t Bermuda,etc., April 2010 Golden Princess Hawaii, Dec 2009 Crown Princess W. Carribean, August/September 2009 Caribbean Princess b2b Canada/New England, Jan 2009 b2b Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, September 2008 Tahitian Princess Alaska, April 2008 Coral Princess Panama Canal and repo, January 2008 Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera, December 2007 Grand Princess Western Caribbean, May/June 2007 Sapphire Princess Whittier to Vancouver,May 2007 Sapphire Princess Vancouver to Whittier,May 2007 Sapphire Princess LA to Vancouver, January 2007 Golden Princess W. Carribean ,January 2007 Golden Princess, October 2006 Caribbean Princess W.Carribean, March 2006 Island Princess Hawaii, October 2005 Sea Princess Quebec to FLL, August 2005 Caribbean Princess, April 2005 Regal Princess Panama Canal ,November 2004 Coral Princess Panama Canal, August 2004 Grand Princess,(marrried my DH aboard the Grand Princess on August 4, 2004 in the Baltic Sea),October 2002 Grand Princess E. Caribbean,1970's and 1980'2: 3 Cruises Royal Caribbean and 2 cruises NCL
San Mateo, California
5,542 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We had this happen once when we checked with the future cruise booking office aboard ship. We checked a price for a future cruise. Decided not to book and after we got back home our TA sent us confirmation that we had booked. We had only purchased a future booking credit without any commitment to a specific cruise.

Call the TA told her Princess made a mistake and had it cancelled and our future booking credit restored.
2,262 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I have read several stories on these boards of people who have used a compete site and then an agency went ahead and booked the cruise without confirmation. I avoid using such sites. I get bids, but all directly.
Raleigh, N.C.
12,033 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
This happened to me--and unnerved me at the time. I was reassured here that the extra booking would go away. And it did.

I have stopped giving my Captain's Circle number when requesting quotes. I put in a note that I am a past passenger and will supply it when booking.
1,281 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by geoherb
This happened to me--and unnerved me at the time. I was reassured here that the extra booking would go away. And it did.

I have stopped giving my Captain's Circle number when requesting quotes. I put in a note that I am a past passenger and will supply it when booking.
All the TA needs is your phone number, and they can pull your Captain's Circle number. Remember though that Princess now has many "personalized" offers that only apply with your CC number, so if the booking agent does not have that, the quote may be higher.
Puyallup, WA
1,658 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by OneStarTattoo
Whoo don't abandon ship (Emerald 1/7) on us!
No - I'm not abandoning ship on 01/07/11 !! Just squeezing in an extra cruise before then! Guess I couldn't wait that long!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
6,244 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Whoo
........I was worried - since I had completed the Personalizer passenger immigration forms, including setting up my onboard account with my credit card. Princess assured me that my info is secure - but it still shook me up that a travel agent went ahead and booked a cruise for me without my knowledge!
My agent does it all the time. It is how she can guarentee the price quote while I am thinking about booking. It drops off if we decide not to go ahead with the booking.

I have never had another agent or agency do it.... but then I pretty much deal directly with my TA.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Travel Photos @: http://community.webshots.com/user/chasetf
Completed Cruises
Jul 63 SS France, Europe / Trans Atlantic
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD
24,987 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by chasetf
My agent does it all the time. It is how she can guarentee the price quote while I am thinking about booking. It drops off if we decide not to go ahead with the booking.
ditto.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me