Hotel Help

kawillia

We will be in San Juan for one night pre-cruise. Hotels are sooo expensive and we're not interested in dropping a small fortune for one night. I was thinking about the Sheraton Old San Juan, Numero Uno Guesthouse or Hosteria del Mar. I would like to stay at El Convento but can't justify the expense for a night.

We fly into San Juan at around 5pm, will check into the hotel and take in a dinner and drinks that night. Then it's off to our cruise ship for Noon the following day. We'll probably check into our ship and return to Old San Juan for the late afternoon since our ship doesn't depart until 11pm.

Have you had experience with the above hotels? Do you have any other recommendations?

Hi

I got a good deal at Comfort Inn for 4/23 of $71.20/night not including taxes(9%). Got it through smarterliving.com. 20% off their Significant organization rate.

Figured it was good enough for a very short (ust time to sleep) pre-cruise stay. :)

Have a look at IHP's Plaza des Armas..

You can look at my trip review of the hotel on TripAdvisor.com It is the Mar 25, 2004 review.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d268431-Reviews-IHP_Hotel_Plaza_De_Armas-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

PS--I always travel with soft style ear plugs for use if needed in the older city centre hotels.

Dean ;)

My husband and I just returned from our cruise last week. We spent 3 nights pre-cruise at the Coral Princess Inn and we were incredibly impressed. This hotel is an excellent value for the dollar. There website is http://www.coralpr.com We paid $99 a night - free breakfast, swimming pool, hottub. It's very clean and the staff is great!

Thank you so much for your feedback. My DH is leaning towards dishing out the cash at El Convento (top hotel according to Conde Naste and top location for sightseeing in Old San Juan), I on the other hand am intrigued by the more affordable option, Coral Princess. After some further research, Old San Juan would be ultimate the place for us to stay. How long does it take to get to Old San Juan from the Coral Princess? Should we expect traffic and a long cab ride there and back on a Friday night?

Also, has anyone stayed at El Convento? If so, what did you think of the hotel? Is it worth dishing out the extra $200 to stay there?

Hi Kawillia

The ride from Old San Juan to the Coral Princess was about 15 minutes - not sure how much that would change on a Friday night. The taxi cost $12. We were very very happy with it but I'm sure the El Convento is nice too.

The Sheraton just had a major water main break and we got moved to the Wyndam Condado Plaza for our upcoming pre-night this weekend. We have stayed at the Sheraton before when it was a Wyndam and enjoyed it although expensive. We have also stayed at the Marriott which is nice.

Archived