Walking in Nassau with wheelchair

EileenN

Ok, I'm not an expert on this, but since noone else is chiming in, I'll tell you what I know.

The area around the cruise dock is accessible, there are some brick areas, but enough pathways to make it passable. You can use the public area at Rawson Square to get to Bay Street. (this is an open area which is paved). Or use one of the sidestreets which are rarely used for traffic.

Some larger and newer stores (jewelry stores, Island Shop, John Bull) on Bay Street are wheelchair accessible, with large openings and no step ups, but the majority are single steps, and most souvenier shops are so packed, that the wheelchair would have nowhere to go once inside.

I'd say that between the stores that I could access, and window shopping, I wouldn't mind a stroll along Bay Street in a chair.

There's enough to see to be enticing.

EileenN,

We are going on the RCI Sovereign of the Seas on April 22, 2005. Sounds like ScubaGirl is very helpful. I will not have trouble as my problem is not being able to walk for exteneded periods. I can walk and get onto, off of, into and out of anything. Including ground mounting 16 hand horses for show jumping and in 2003 taking a helicopter to Taku Glacier and spending time on the glacier itself ...not in the helicopter but on the ice. :D

You do get around, girl. My aunt is 90 and strictly wheelchair, but my daughter is also in a wheelchair, but she can walk short distances, like you. We are some traveling show. To lighten the load, we are taking a home health aide for my Aunt who has been with us a year.

Scrubagirrl, That was some wonderful information and helps a great deal. We are not able to get the aunt off the ship with tendering at the private island and there is not much for her to see in Miaimi port, so we are planning on Nassau. My brother lives near Canaveral and is meeting us at the ship to take us to his home for the day. She will enjoy that. Thanks again. Any other porets like Bermuda or New England/Canada, please feel free to comment on as you have a great ability to draw pictures with your words and give me a good view. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Scubagirrl has some good info. There is a lot to see just near the pier area that a wheel chair could get to. The Terrain is fairly flat someone pushing a wheel chair should be easy for them. Well for a little while before you get toasted by the sun. I would recommend small umbrella for the person in the wheel chair and water for the pusher. Ha Ha !!

There is a security building when you get off the ship. In that building is some local wares, food, music etc. If you get there off the peak departing of people getting off the ship. You should be able to get around in a wheel chair. I'll be there in a few days and will check it out better.

Archived