Pre and Post hotel in LA April 2005

kpl1970

Hi everyone,

A gang of us(8-10) are going on the NCL star on April 6 2005 and are staying over the night prior and after. ANy suggestion on a good hotel with free shuttle, or are you aware of any company offering day tours while we are there? We are all wanting to see as much as we can the day before and day after the cruise.. suggestions?

Thanks in advance...HAPPY SAILING:D

It is 81 degrees and beautiful here in Los Angeles today. hehehe

In San Pedro the hotels that have a free shuttle to/from port are Best Western Sunrise, Sheraton, and Marina Hotel.

LAX is 19 miles north and LGB is about 12 miles southeast. There are no hotels with free shuttle to/from airport AND port.

Depending on your tastes and age range the major "sightseeing" areas would be:

Long Beach - Downtown - near the Pike and waterfront.

Venice Beach / Santa Monica

Hollywood

and of course Disneyland/Knott's Berry Farm

Steve Hayes

Does anyone have any Ideas. We are travelling in April '05.....

Thanks folks...Major Storm here in NB today..WOW BLIZZARD..sure could use a tropical drink!!!:D :D

Thanks for the info about hotels and taxi rates from LAX to the San Pedro pier.

I'm arriving with 3 kids at LAX on Friday at 2:30 pm. Would you suggest that we take a taxi from LAX to the Sheraton in San Pedro at that time? (meter running during Friday afternoon traffic) or would you recommend finding a Town Car or using Super Shuttle to try to save a bit on transportation. If you've quoted $45-50 for a taxi, on a bad day...how much?

On a "bad" day if there is a major accident and it takes you 1 hour or more instead of 30-40 minutes the price can skyrocket. Generally speaking the 405 south from LAX to 110 south moves fairly quickly. It is usually going north or further south where the traffic really backs up.

If you want piece of mind with a fixed fare then I would recommend Super Shuttle. You can book online and save a few dollars or wait until you arrive at LAX and walk out past the baggage claim for your terminal to the waitstand for Super Shuttle (Which I do not recommend).

Steve Hayes

Thanks for the info about hotels and taxi rates from LAX to the San Pedro pier.

I'm arriving with 3 kids at LAX on Friday at 2:30 pm. Would you suggest that we take a taxi from LAX to the Sheraton in San Pedro at that time? (meter running during Friday afternoon traffic) or would you recommend finding a Town Car or using Super Shuttle to try to save a bit on transportation. If you've quoted $45-50 for a taxi, on a bad day...how much?

That is great info, so super shuttle it is... Now one more question we are trying to get a city tour but only arrive in town at 1230pm. All we can find are tours taht start in the am. Any suggestions, we want to see major highlights(yes the tacky tourist stuff:D ). Your insight is GREATLY appreciated... Thanks so much, there are 8 of us and we are all primed for this trip....

THANKS AGAIN for any insight:)

Check out Grayline tours website for Los Angeles and Anahiem. They have a tour that starts at 2pm. and includes Universal Studios along with many sights in Hollywood and Los Angeles area. If you want to skip Universal tour they have a L.A. at Night that starts at 5pm. This is about 25 miles north of San Pedro.

I also know that there are special guided and unguided tours of the Queen Mary - One is the Ghosts and Legends tour. This in in Long Beach. This is about a 15-20 minute drive from San Pedro.

The aquarium at Long Beach is a good one.

Steve Hayes

That is great info, so super shuttle it is... Now one more question we are trying to get a city tour but only arrive in town at 1230pm. All we can find are tours taht start in the am. Any suggestions, we want to see major highlights(yes the tacky tourist stuff:D ). Your insight is GREATLY appreciated... Thanks so much, there are 8 of us and we are all primed for this trip....

THANKS AGAIN for any insight:)

It's my understanding that the taxis charge a flat fee from LAX to pier. Might want to make a call to find out. Last i heard it was about $25......shuttles are more time consuming as you must wait for everyone they plan to pick up with you and go along for the ride wherever they need to be dropped off. It may not be a straight point a-b trip. Happy Sailing!

-With 8 of you, you won't all fit into a cab or town car, so you'd have to double the price they quote you. I think SuperShuttle and Prime Time shuttle will give you your own van (they only hold 8-10 passengers, anyway), so you won't have to deal with the endless circling of the airport that sometimes occurs.

Can't help you with tours, but I think if you don't have a rental car, you'll have trouble finding a commercial tour to take you up to Hollywood, Beverly Hills or the trendy beaches. An alternative would be to stay in that area & then cough up the bucks for a car to take you to the pier on sailing day. We like Sky Limo (800) 359-1800. They can quote you by the hour or point to point.

Have fun!

Sorry to say but there are no fixed rates to pier from LAX. It is totally metered and the fare runs between $40-$50 plus tip per cab. You will need two cabs for 8 ppl. The shuttle is still the cheapest way to go.

Steve Hayes

It's my understanding that the taxis charge a flat fee from LAX to pier. Might want to make a call to find out. Last i heard it was about $25......shuttles are more time consuming as you must wait for everyone they plan to pick up with you and go along for the ride wherever they need to be dropped off. It may not be a straight point a-b trip. Happy Sailing!

This Holiday Inn on Gaffey Street looks nice from the exterior and is only about 1 mile from the port. I personally have never been inside or have had friends who have stayed here. There is a recent trip report that the hotel is up for sale or is changing hands and is in bad need of repair. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

Steve Hayes

http://www.parksleepfly.com/cruiseport_hotels/hotel_display.php?hotel_type=cruiseport&cruiseportID=10&hotelID=156&make_reservation=

I found this on line for the Holiday Inn. Steve - do you have any insight on this?

They claim to have free shuttle to/from the pier or airport.

We have used their shuttle service this past holiday season. We emailed them and we rec'd our own private shuttle van for five of us with a lot of luggage from LAX to Disneyland. The service was prompt and efficient and we didn't have to wait any longer than five minutes after retrieving our luggage. The cost for all five was $65.00. We thought we would give them a try for our upcoming cruise out of San Pedro in May. We got a price of $52.00 private ride from LAX to the pier for four of us. When we went at Christmas time to Disneyland, we had four passengers from the airport to the hotel..and returning we had five passengers..and his quote was the same...so the more the merry...I think he bases his price on the distance and gas used...for a flat rate. Very quick response by email.. Now ...his van can easily hold six passengers I do believe , if not 7...so just email him and ask for a quote.

This is the email address: kbgw@msn.com

Website is Golden West Express.com I do believe.

Debbie

I booked the Marina Hotel (was Hilton then) through Priceline for $45. Free parking. Free shuttle to and from port and within a 5 mile radius of hotel. (The shuttled us to dinner the night we arrived:-) It's a *** hotel and was very nice. My daughter and son in law got it for the same price when they cruised for their honeymoon.

Also, I love the Sheraton. They didn't honor Priceline, but we got a decent deal. Free shuttle and covered parking was $5.00 a night (half of what the port charges for their lot.) We were very happy with both of these hotels.:)

Hi everyone,

A gang of us(8-10) are going on the NCL star on April 6 2005 and are staying over the night prior and after. ANy suggestion on a good hotel with free shuttle, or are you aware of any company offering day tours while we are there? We are all wanting to see as much as we can the day before and day after the cruise.. suggestions?

Thanks in advance...HAPPY SAILING:D

We are laeving out of San Pedro I have been looking at Hotels in Long Beach and not realizing that San Pedron is before Long Beach on the map. Would it be feasible to stay in Venice or say Mahattan Beach Area and then go to the port from there? If that were the case where would be a good place for a one night in those areas.

Thanks

Archived