What you collect matters..

equusvilla

This is a story I thought some might enjoy hearing.

A couple of years after my Grandmother passed away, my parents were still going through allof her stuff. I am very sentimental about family historical things and was so worried that they would toss things I might want.. so my Mom gave me a big box of "stuff" .. consisting mostly of old pictures, scrap books from the 1940's and on, recipes ..and lots of other things.

Among the items - I found:

1. both my Grandparents expired passports with many many international stamps stamped in them...

2. Holland America cruise entertainment bills including well known acts like Victor Borge, Etheyl Merman and Russel Nypes.

3. an enclosure card from flowers sent to their cabin from a friend,

4. hand made maps charting out not only the progress of their trans-atlantic journeys with dates and weather notes

5. many pictures of them on the ship looking quite smart in their very formal attire, laying out in the sun on deck upon those old teak lounge chairs..and there was even a picture of my Grandfather standing by the ship rail wearing wooden shoes from Holland!

They cruised quite a bit during their lives and Oh my goodness - what a treasure this was to me. I took these items and afixed them into a shadow box and hung it on the wall. It is still there today.

While I am not sure that a plastic drink glass may mean something to your Grandchildren ... I assure you - the photos and other (long lasting ;)) ship memorabilia will!

If you want to see it, scroll down to the bottom 3 pictures of this post:

http://equusvilla.blogspot.com/2008/...-inspired.html

If you double click on them, they will enlarge and you can read the show bill for yourself!

• 2 months later...

How wonderful! What a great way to enjoy those lovely mementos of your grandparents! What amazing adventures they enjoyed-an inspiration to all of us for collecting and keeping little treasures for posterity. Thank you for sharing! I kept all my old Victoria magazines as well! I still love looking at them, too! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived