Trying to out-think myself on choosing?

jdk-atlga

Hi all:

While planning on a future Med cruise for 2012 (yes, I am aware that the cruise lines have not published details for 2012, but it will be my 25th anniversary), I have been lurking and reading here for several weeks trying to get ideas on the "best way" to go.

I recognize that there are many, many variables between the different cruise lines, but at this date I have "sort-of" narrowed my picks between Oceania (I really like the new Marina info), Regent Seven Seas (with the all-inclusive approach and excursions - my wife and I really don't drink, so that might be a price hit), and Crystal Cruises (something just feels right, but it seems a bit pricey, although the current credits could encompass the extras)...

Like I said, I have been trying to run the numbers (I have been buidling a spreadsheet to help get down to per diem comparison), but the big variable seems to be the number and location of the port excursions - if we take a lot of them, then it seems that RSS may be less costly than Crystal (although if CC continues the credits, this may not be the case), but Oceania has the initial price advantage which would still be less, given all the excursion potentials. I am aware that Oceania still has work to do with their excursions, making them more accessible, etc. Does anyone have a good estimate for how much to budget for excursions, given a 9-port Med trip? This will be our first trip to the Med and we plan on a 7-14day venture, to visit Venice, Rome (my wife's life-long dream), and Florence, at the least...Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Best, jdk

First of all, as wonderful as Oceania is (and I love it) it is not a luxury line.

Second of all, why are you working yourself so hard? Talk to a knowledgeable TA who is familiar with all these lines and he/she will be able to answer all your questions.

I also echo Wripro's recommendation which is to talk with a knowledgeable TA. Try to find someone who specializes in luxury cruising and who has sailed on Crystal and Regent. Then you can talk through all of this with them.

In addition, wait for the itienraries to come out for 2012. Yes, examine the pricing but on top of that examine the itinerary to see if one really jumps out as the one that you and your wife would prefer.

I also agree with Wripro on Oceania. While Oceania has many pluses they are a premium cruise line and not a luxury cruise line.

Keith

I want to thank you all for the great suggestions, particularily relates to the experienced and

knowledgeable TA! I think ( too much) that my goal should be to find the right guide first, and let

The details come to me. My current TA is a super nice guy, but I do not think that he has this kind of expertise.

Actually I think you need to decide what is most important to you.

Check out how much time the ships spend in port and how many sea days there are, if your goal is to see as much of the Med as possible.

As for the "all-inclusiveness", it isn't the price driver on Regent. The price driver is the size of the suites and the size of the ships. They are very small ships that devote lots of space to staterooms, the dining venues, and not a ton of space for huge theaters, or for many, many bars.

The clientele likes it that way. It is much more like a yacht trip, and not like the large cruise ships. Regent's Navigator is the largest ship I will sail because I like tiny ships. I'm not into the shows, or dancing, or taking (((shudder))) computer classes while vacationing. ;)

I like open seating. Actually for me, I'd do Sea Dream, because of where they go and how much time they spend there. You made a comment about "accessible". Does that mean you need accessible staterooms?

If so, then yes, larger ships are better.

As wripro and Keith suggested, find a good luxury TA to talk to. There are quite a few around here if you look long enough. You have time until the 2012 itineraries are released.

I want to thank you all for the great suggestions, particularily relates to the experienced and

knowledgeable TA! I think ( too much) that my goal should be to find the right guide first, and let

The details come to me. My current TA is a super nice guy, but I do not think that he has this kind of expertise.

You are very welcome.

I do highly recommend that you finds the knowledgeable TA who has a solid background in luxury cruising and actually has sailed on many of the luxury cruise lines.

Good luck and please post any additional questions you have as you continue to figure out your cruising plans.

Keith

Archived