Problems on Radiance

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
Indiana
344 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
If the water leaks and damage keep getting worse on the Radiance, any chance they will cancel trips to put her in dry dock early or will they just keep putting on band-aids?

We will be sailing with my husbands family end of March. None of them have ever cruised and I am afraid a bad experience will turn them off from cruising again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Sky 11/6/17
NCL Sky 11/3/17
MSC Divina 07/11/17
Explorer of the Seas 06/10/16
Brilliance of the Seas 03/23/15
Allure of the Seas 06/22/14
Radiance of the Seas 03/28/11
Carnival Inspiration 07/27/09
Carnival Jubilee 12/16/90
#2
North Wales, PA
4,665 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
exactly what problems are you referring to? and to answer your question it will depend on what the problem is, how bad it is and when it is currently scheduled into dry dock....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanne



Harmony of the Seas May 13, 2017 Celebrity Silhouette 11Dec2016 W Caribbean Anthem of the Seas 04Mar2016 3-day-nowhere Liberty of the Seas 19Sep2015 Bermuda Serenade of the Seas 21Mar2015 NOLA Explorer of the Seas Repo 1Nov2014 Norwegian Epic 6April2014 Explorer of the Seas Bermuda/Caribbean 30May2013 (Diamond Plus), Allure of the Seas E Caribbean 11Dec2012, Enchantment of the Seas Bermuda 31Aug2012, Oasis of the Seas W Caribbean 10Dec2011, Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 5Dec2011, Explorer of the Seas Caribbean 28Nov2010, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 5Sept2010, Jewel of the Seas Ulitmate Caribbean 30Nov2009 (Diamond), Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas 23Feb2009 girls cruise, Explorer of the Seas Caribbean 30Nov2008, Radiance of the Seas Alaska 10August2007(Platinum), Explorer of the Seas Bermuda 17Sept2006, Voyager of the Seas Repo Caribbean Nov2005, Enchantment of the Seas W Caribbean Oct2003, Enchantment of the Seas W Caribbean Oct2000, Sovereign Of The Seas Bahamas Jan1999

Cruises on deposit...not definite yet...
MSC Divina, Western Europe from Rome 4/29/18
Symphony of the Seas Western Europe from Barcelona 5/13 or change to 6/14 from Rome
Royal Princess Southern Caribbean 11/9/18
#3
552 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by BOAZ5
If the water leaks and damage keep getting worse on the Radiance, any chance they will cancel trips to put her in dry dock early or will they just keep putting on band-aids?

We will be sailing with my husbands family end of March. None of them have ever cruised and I am afraid a bad experience will turn them off from cruising again.
I was on the Radiance last week. I saw no evidence of "worsened" water issues. We had one incident of light brown water from the tap, no wetness in our room and saw that 2 restrooms were closed one night near the theatre. There was a ceiling leak on Deck 10 near the elevators and they were working on this but it wasn;t a major thing....it was a drip.
The ship was in great shape and it was a great cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruisin'!
Karen


VOYAGER OF THE SEA 7/2003
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEA 1/2005
DISNEY WONDER 5/2005
ADVENTURE OF THE SEA 7/2005
SERENADE OF THE SEA NEW YEARS 2007
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 10/2007
DISNEY WONDER 12/2007
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 4/2009
LIBERTY OF THE SEA 9/2009
MAJESTY OF THE SEA 11/2009
MAJESTY OF THE SEA 5/2010
RADIANCE OF THE SEA 10/2010
NCL EPIC 1/2013
OASIS OF THE SEAS 1/2014
BREAKAWAY 8/2014
NCL EPIC 6/2015
NCL BREAKAWAY 5/2016
#4
San Diego, California
5,330 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Check the picture about 1/2 down the page. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...75048&page=349

Seems to be some water leakage, but maybe not toilet issues, this time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

1986--West Caribbean on Fairwind; 1986--East Caribbean on Sea Princess; 1988--Bermuda on Nordic Prince; 1989--Mexico on Jubilee; 1990--East Caribbean on Sun Viking; 1992--Baja on Viking Serenade; 1994--Baja on Viking Serenade; 1995--Mexico on Regal Princess; 1995--Panama Canal on Royal Princess; 1997--Mexico on Song of America; 1998--Mediterranean on Inaugural Grand Princess; 2000--So Caribbean on Inaugural Ocean Princess b2b; 2001--Caribbean on Nordic Empress; 2001--Europe on Legend OT Seas; 2002--Panama Canal on Infinity; 2004--Transatlantic on Grand Princess; 2005--French Polynesia on Tahitian Princess; 2006--So Caribbean on Adventure OT Seas; 2007--Baltic on Jewel OT Seas; 2008--Mexico on Dawn Princess; 2009--So America on Radiance OT Seas; 2009--Mexico on Mariner OT Seas; 2010--Alaska on Radiance OT Seas; 2012--Panama Canal on Millennium; 2012--Xmas Markets Danube River Cruise on AmaLyra; 2013--Eastern Med on Reflection; 2013--Transatlantic on Reflection; 2014--Rhône River on AmaDagio; 2015--Australia/New Zealand on Solstice; 2016--Pacific Coastal on Infinity; 2017--West. Caribbean on Equinox; 2017--Danube River on AmaCerto.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
340 cruising days and planning for more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



#5
552 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by mpbmark
Check the picture about 1/2 down the page. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...75048&page=349

Seems to be some water leakage, but maybe not toilet issues, this time.
Yes I was on that cruise and it was a drip. We had a cabin right next to elevators on deck 10. I walked past that spot more than 20 times a day and while it now is patched and you can see a slight stain, that picture is from an angle that to me makes it look worse than it is. This area is below the pool deck but i don;t believe under the pool it self.

I think it started after the Bellyflop contest!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruisin'!
Karen


VOYAGER OF THE SEA 7/2003
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEA 1/2005
DISNEY WONDER 5/2005
ADVENTURE OF THE SEA 7/2005
SERENADE OF THE SEA NEW YEARS 2007
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 10/2007
DISNEY WONDER 12/2007
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 4/2009
LIBERTY OF THE SEA 9/2009
MAJESTY OF THE SEA 11/2009
MAJESTY OF THE SEA 5/2010
RADIANCE OF THE SEA 10/2010
NCL EPIC 1/2013
OASIS OF THE SEAS 1/2014
BREAKAWAY 8/2014
NCL EPIC 6/2015
NCL BREAKAWAY 5/2016
#6
Tampa, FL
1,365 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Radiance and her plumbing issues seem to be more widespread recently in different postings on this board. The picture linked above doesn't seem so bad though. Should upcoming Radiance cruisers like myself be that concerned? Seems like most of the problems are on the higher decks. We are booked on deck four.
#7
Georgia
2,773 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
She is going into drydock on May 20th for 3 weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Past Cruises:
Feb. 2017 - Navigator of the Seas (9), Sept. 2016 - Carnival Magic (7), Dec. 2015 - Freedom of the Seas (7), Oct. 2015 - Carnival Conquest (6),
Jan/Feb. 2015 - B2B - Carnival Liberty (8 + 7), Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4), Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10),
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco), Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7),
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal), Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7),
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)
#8
Tampa, FL
1,365 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by bigeagle12
She is going into drydock on May 20th for 3 weeks.
That's good and fine. What about the folks like us who are booked before that?
#9
DALLAS TX
184 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
We were on the Radiance in September and saw no problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing in Caribbean in July 2016
#10
SW Florida
403 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Just off Radiance last Saturday. We had a cabin on deck 10 and had no problems nor did we see any damage. In fact, we felt this was our favorite ship out of our twenty previous cruises.
#11
East Islip, NY
471 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
No! I will cry hysterically if they cancel April 16th.

I will send them the bandaids! I don't care about the plumbing issues! I am so desperate for a vacation I'd go on a row boat in the middle of the ocean with the only source of plumbing being a bucket.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
January 2008- Enchantment of the Seas- Key West/Cococay
July 2008- Explorer of the Seas- Bermuda
April 2011
- Radiance of the Seas- Cozumel/Costa Maya



#12
3,806 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by dajulieness
No! I will cry hysterically if they cancel April 16th.

I will send them the bandaids! I don't care about the plumbing issues! I am so desperate for a vacation I'd go on a row boat in the middle of the ocean with the only source of plumbing being a bucket.
Oh I so know what u mean - many thanks for my laugh of the day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Have happy cruisin'!
#13
Florida, USA
781 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by jimp1266
Just off Radiance last Saturday. We had a cabin on deck 10 and had no problems nor did we see any damage. In fact, we felt this was our favorite ship out of our twenty previous cruises.
DW and I were on deck 10 last week, and we had a slight issue with damp carpet next to the bathroom door below the AC thermostat. No smell, and it didn't show up until our last two days in the room, so we think it might have been a condensation drip from the AC, which ran most of the time we were in the room. Sink water was clear the entire cruise. My brother had a hump balcony on deck 7, and he had no plumbing issues whatsoever.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#14
4,722 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by yj_eugene
DW and I were on deck 10 last week, and we had a slight issue with damp carpet next to the bathroom door below the AC thermostat. No smell, and it didn't show up until our last two days in the room, so we think it might have been a condensation drip from the AC, which ran most of the time we were in the room. Sink water was clear the entire cruise. My brother had a hump balcony on deck 7, and he had no plumbing issues whatsoever.
Cabin # on deck 10?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
TW
~proud NOOTS~
An O through and through
#15
Georgia
2,773 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by coaster
That's good and fine. What about the folks like us who are booked before that?
We are booked on the 15 day Panana Canal relocation to San Diego on April 30th. I am not concerned. If there are any problems we will deal with them. Heck if they are back enough may get an OBC or future booking credit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Past Cruises:
Feb. 2017 - Navigator of the Seas (9), Sept. 2016 - Carnival Magic (7), Dec. 2015 - Freedom of the Seas (7), Oct. 2015 - Carnival Conquest (6),
Jan/Feb. 2015 - B2B - Carnival Liberty (8 + 7), Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4), Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10),
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco), Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7),
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal), Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7),
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)
#16
Queensbury NY
5,429 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
We sailed her on 10-16. I had sailed on her twice before that so I knew between those cruises and the postings here that we might have problems....We did

We had cabin 7172 aft. The water never got cold from the tap and the toilet stopped flushing. The tile floor in the bathroom had cracks in it. Midway thru the cruise we noticed water oozing up from the cracks. It was clean water not sewage. I happened to walk barefoot in the bathroom one day and that's how I discovered it. We just kept some towels on the floor after that. It did not affect the carpeting underneath the walkup to the bathroom door. Certain parts of the ship had sewage smells at times as well.

Was I prepared for these issues? Yes. Did it ruin my cruise? Absolutely not. Radiance of the Seas is the ship that hooked me on Radiance class and I have been sailing them since.

If you are booked on Radiance - go, have fun and hopefully these issues will not ruin your cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan

#17
The Big Easy
19,000 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I was on Radiance last Nov/Dec and I had a lot of problems. About 1/3 of my 12 day cruise was spent with a floor fan in my room. Ever hear how loud those things are?

I couldn't ignore a fantastic deal in a couple weeks on Radiance, so I'll be back again. We shall see.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Sunward II 11/88, Seaward 8/92, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, RCI Monarch 10/02, RCI Enchantment 10/03, RCI Majesty 5/04, RCI Adventure 10/04, RCI Explorer 10/05, RCI Majesty 5/06, RCI Freedom 9/06, RCI Explorer 5/07, RCI Adventure 10/07, RCI Navigator 2/08, RCI Navigator 8/08 (Med.), RCI Majesty 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, RCI Enchantment 7/09, RCI Radiance 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, RCI Majesty 6/10, RCI Majesty 8/10, RCI Oasis 10/10, RCI Radiance 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, RCI Allure 4/11, Nor. Sky 6/11, RCI Majesty 9/11, Nor. Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, RCI Liberty 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), RCI Majesty 8/12, RCI Oasis 10/12, RCI Majesty 11/12, Nor. Dawn 12/12, RCI Liberty 2/13, RCI Majesty 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), RCI Enchantment 9/13, RCI Allure 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, RCI Liberty 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14, RCI Vision 8/14, RCI Liberty 11/14, Regal Princess 4/15, Oosterdam 10/15, Celebrity Eclipse 12/15, Nor. Escape 4/16, Carnival Liberty 10/16, Koningsdam 11/17
#18
Georgia
2,773 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Aquahound
I was on Radiance last Nov/Dec and I had a lot of problems. About 1/3 of my 12 day cruise was spent with a floor fan in my room. Ever hear how loud those things are?

I couldn't ignore a fantastic deal in a couple weeks on Radiance, so I'll be back again. We shall see.
What cabin were you in?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Past Cruises:
Feb. 2017 - Navigator of the Seas (9), Sept. 2016 - Carnival Magic (7), Dec. 2015 - Freedom of the Seas (7), Oct. 2015 - Carnival Conquest (6),
Jan/Feb. 2015 - B2B - Carnival Liberty (8 + 7), Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4), Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10),
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco), Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7),
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal), Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7),
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)
#19
East Islip, NY
471 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by lablvr2
We sailed her on 10-16. I had sailed on her twice before that so I knew between those cruises and the postings here that we might have problems....We did

We had cabin 7172 aft. The water never got cold from the tap and the toilet stopped flushing. The tile floor in the bathroom had cracks in it. Midway thru the cruise we noticed water oozing up from the cracks. It was clean water not sewage. I happened to walk barefoot in the bathroom one day and that's how I discovered it. We just kept some towels on the floor after that. It did not affect the carpeting underneath the walkup to the bathroom door. Certain parts of the ship had sewage smells at times as well.

Was I prepared for these issues? Yes. Did it ruin my cruise? Absolutely not. Radiance of the Seas is the ship that hooked me on Radiance class and I have been sailing them since.

If you are booked on Radiance - go, have fun and hopefully these issues will not ruin your cruise
Believe me its not going to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
January 2008- Enchantment of the Seas- Key West/Cococay
July 2008- Explorer of the Seas- Bermuda
April 2011
- Radiance of the Seas- Cozumel/Costa Maya



#20
NE Ohio - GO TRIBE
45,970 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by bigeagle12
We are booked on the 15 day Panana Canal relocation to San Diego on April 30th. I am not concerned. If there are any problems we will deal with them. Heck if they are back enough may get an OBC or future booking credit.
Good luck with that thought.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patti (& Jim)
Pinnacle Club