17 Celebrity Cruise Passengers Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Kitts

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:22 PM.
Ohio
1,270 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
YIPE! I've not yet visited St. Kitts. I wonder how many people this will keep from getting off the ship in the next few sailings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Feb 01 - Majesty of the Seas
Feb 03 - Majesty of the Seas
July 04 - Enchantment Of the Seas
Nov 05 - Mariner Of The Seas
Jan 08 - Legend of the Seas
Mar 10 - Adventure of the Seas
June 11 - Majesty of the Seas
<Jumped Ship>
Aug 12 - Carnival Liberty
Peoria, IL USA
5,318 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
My daughter is looking at booking the Carnival Victory cruise in April for St. Kitts being one of the stops. I forwarded this to her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gingee

Royal Caribbean Sovereign 7-2003 (the beginning), Carnival Conquest 7-2004, Carnival Legend 5-2005, Royal Caribbean Vision 6-2006, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody 5-2007, Carnival Victory 8-2008, Norwegian Spirit 1-2009, Royal Caribbean Mariner 5-2010, Celebrity Century 5-2011, Carnival Conquest 5-2012, Carnival Glory 7-2013, Carnival Freedom 7-2014, Allure of the Seas 6-2016.
148 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
I'll be there in three weeks on the Victory. We have been planning on spending the day at the Marriott. Think we'll keep with those plans but these ports are starting to make me more concerned - this robbery, a shooting on St. Thomas, sigh...I don't want to have to worry about these things when I'm on vacation. Just guess one has to stay vigilant and aware no matter where one goes.
Albuquerque NM
1,307 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by 2sigs
Just guess one has to stay vigilant and aware no matter where one goes.
VERY true!

Last year when we were at WDW there were "things" going on at one of the resorts. Too bad this stuff happens, but it is not the fault of the cruise ships.......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Just Survive Somehow"

25 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
When they catch these thugs, they should put them in stocks in a public square for a few days - maybe let a little corporal punishment be administered by some of the hundreds, if not thousands, of islanders who depend on tourism have a shot at them. A little saliva shower would be too good for them...

Then lock them up for a good long time.
California
90 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
We will arrive in St. Kitts on Dec. 8, maybe we just walk to the town only, to be safe. Anybody else is going on the Celebrity Eclipse as well?
Southern California
296 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
The sad truth is, anything like this can happen just about anywhere, and when visiting places like this, where a large number of the residents may not have much, as far as money or certain material things, tourists are seen as a great opportunity (due to having money and other items on hand that's worth something to those thugs).

I won't stop myself from visiting those islands or traveling anywhere else, but I for sure will keep only a small amount of cash on hand in port, and pray that we remain safe. Thankfully no one in the Celebrity cruise group that was robbed, was hurt.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride ~ Mexican Riviera ~ March 2008 (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas)
Carnival Victory ~ Southern Caribbean ~ December 2008 (St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts)
Carnival Glory ~ Western Caribbean ~ April 2010 (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman)
Carnival Destiny ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ December 2010 (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)
Carnival Breeze ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ March 2013
(St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau)
Carnival Sunshine ~ Western Caribbean ~ December 2013 (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor ~ Repositioning Cruise ~ November 2014 (St. Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk)
Pennsylvania
123 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I agree with luv of travel. If we tourists don't flaunt what we have, these poor people won't be tempted to rob. We have so much and they have so little. Here in our own country, in our own neighborhood a person can be witnessed to or involved in a robbery. It happens. We must pray for protection and be smart, a camera, phone and jewelry can all be replaced. If you've decided to travel and enjoy, be alert, take precautions, but remember there are so many hard working honest people living in these ports that are depending on our business. I'm glad they didn't harm anyone. And those of us following close behind this cruise better look out for "good deals on the street" for those stolen items!
St. Louis, MO
4 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Thank God no one was hurt. In today's world armed robbers would send chills down everyone's back. Remember when airline hijackers were thought to be only interested in going to Cuba? Let's pray that the terrorists stay away from St. Kitts, and that "robbers" don't blow up the busses.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maryland
19 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
My parents are aboard this ship. My mother just emailed me to ask if I heard anything. She said they are keeping it hush hush on board but now many folks are afraid to get off the ship at other islands in fear of what might happen.
McKinney, TX
112 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
No way around it unless you want to live in your own prison, these things will happen and can happen anywhere, including your own home. I'm glad everyone is safe. I went on Celebrity Solstice to St. Kitts and while I never felt unsafe, it is a sparsley populated place with remote locations. We took a taxi to the far end to hang out at the beach...can't remember the name now...and I can see locations that if the St. Kitts police and populace don't do something in a big way to these guys, it could continue. Take only what you need with you....and for those who wear really expensive jewelry, do you really need to? Just saying...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CELEBRITY SOLSTICE-SAILED 11/30/2008

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS-SAILED 8/18/2007

MAJESTY OF THE SEAS-SAILED 3/16/2007

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS-SAILED 6/5/2005

MONARCH OF THE SEAS-SAILED 5/7/2004

MAJESTY OF THE SEAS-SAILED 8/18/2003
28 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We are sailing the Eclipse in mid January and are looking forward to St. Kitts. It's the main reason we chose that cruise. I can't imagine how frightening it was for those who were robbed. I'll certainly be rethinking the jewelry I wear when crusing. It's the loss of a camera that would have me in a tither. My sister had a good camera swiped at poolside several years ago on a cruise and we now try to download our photos daily or switch out memory cards. I can't imagine being on a 12 day cruise and having my camera stolen near the beginning of it. What a blessing no one was harmed.
QLD--AUSTRALIA
9,093 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by HappyGin
. If we tourists don't flaunt what we have, these poor people won't be tempted to rob. !
dragging a tree across the road and waiting to ambush a bus is not a last minute decision...how is being a bus passenger "flaunting".??.

IT'S STILL TERRORISM!!...

WOULDN'T YOU BE TERRIFIED??????
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B2B Singapore- Abu Dhabi / Abu Dhabi to Rome spreadsheet link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

JANN & JOHN
CRUISES DONE..
STAR GEMINI .... MARCH '97- ASIA
OLYMPIC COUNTESS ...SEPT '98 - GREEK ISLANDS & TURKEY
STAR GEMINI ..SEPT '99 -ASIA
STAR GEMINI ..FEB '00 ..-ASIA
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS ...SEPT '04 - ALASKA
NCL JEWEL ..SEPT '05 CANADA / NEW ENGLAND
RCI VISION OF THE SEAS ..SEPT 06 ALASKA
NCL PEARL ...APRIL 07 STH CARIBBEAN.
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS...MARCH 08 AUSTRALIA to NZ
HAL VOLENDAM...MAY 09 JAPAN, EASTERN RUSSIA, ALASKA
CELEBRITY INFINITY...NOV 09 PANAMA CANAL WESTBOUND
NCL JADE..MAR 2010 SPAIN,ITALY,GREECE,TURKEY,EGYPT, MALTA
NCL JADE..APR 2010,SPAIN,CASABLANCA,AQADIR,CANARY IS, FUNCHAL ,GRANADA
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM..MAY 2011...ALASKA
SUN PRINCESS....NOV 2011 AUSTRALIA to NZ
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM...APR 2013 HK,TAIWAN,KOREA,JAPAN,CHINA
RCCL QUANTUM of the seas..MAY/JUNE 2015 DUBAI OMAN INDIA MALAYSIA SINGAPORE
CELEBRITY SOLSTICE..FEB 2016...NZ TO PERTH, AUS

NCL JADE ..JULY 2017...HAMBURG..NORWAY..ICELAND ..SCOTLAND

Next .........
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION... 7 APRIL 2018..INDIA & SRI LANKA..TO DUBAI
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION...22 APRIL 2018..ARABIAN SEA & SUEZ CANAL..ROME
Halethorpe, MD
2,614 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
It is EVERYWHERE.

It's important to stay on your guard no matter where you are....a group of us went to see Elton John in NYC for his "One Night Only" shows and Scottish friends of ours were robbed near the hotel we stayed in near Times Square. Probably wasn't the best first impression of our country for them.

Many people are fooled by *Island Paradises*....a work colleague of mine has a son who honeymooned in Oahu and he asked me advice as my hubby and I had been there. The first thing I told him was to beware....Hawaii looks beautiful, but there is a lot of theft there. I was very specific and told him not to leave things in plain sight or in the trunk because I knew that rental cars were a target. He didn't listen and was robbed....the worst of it is he is a police officer here in Maryland.

I was held up at gunpoint in front of my home years ago....you don't forget it, but it does teach you to be aware of your surroundings anywhere you go. Don't flash jewelry, money, take copies of your passport and leave your original locked in the safe.

We will be calling on St. Kitts next December and have no intention of staying on the ship. I know from my experience you just can't live life saying *What if?*
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sharon
*I'm a poster child for SUNSHINE!*
American Adventure 9/94 M/S Leeward 12/95 Norwegian Sky 10/08 Norwegian Pearl 12/09 =X= Eclipse EMuLHITS 12/11
=X= Silhouette 4/13 =X= Reflection 12/13 =X= Summit 11/14 =X= Constellation 2/15 =X= Reflection 1/16 Caribbean Princess 11/16

Harmony of the Seas 12/2/17
Email me: [email protected]
Pennsylvania
123 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
By "flaunting"...... I mean...... carrying and wearing very expensive things that allows these crazies to reap many dollars. Our society and culture sometimes doesn't or can't understand what it's like to have NOTHING! some of us have so much and take it for granted. I'm not condoning downing a tree to trap people and steal, but we do have to understand how desperate they are and if we don't want to make it easy for them to get lots of cash and goods, we shouldn't carry it with us for them to reap.
QLD--AUSTRALIA
9,093 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by HappyGin
if we don't want to make it easy for them to get lots of cash and goods, we shouldn't carry it with us for them to reap.
and they also may kill you because you have nothing..

most shops here leave a small amount of money in their tills overnight, in case they get robbed...otherwise the thieves trash the shop instead of doing a snatch and grab..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B2B Singapore- Abu Dhabi / Abu Dhabi to Rome spreadsheet link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

JANN & JOHN
CRUISES DONE..
STAR GEMINI .... MARCH '97- ASIA
OLYMPIC COUNTESS ...SEPT '98 - GREEK ISLANDS & TURKEY
STAR GEMINI ..SEPT '99 -ASIA
STAR GEMINI ..FEB '00 ..-ASIA
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS ...SEPT '04 - ALASKA
NCL JEWEL ..SEPT '05 CANADA / NEW ENGLAND
RCI VISION OF THE SEAS ..SEPT 06 ALASKA
NCL PEARL ...APRIL 07 STH CARIBBEAN.
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS...MARCH 08 AUSTRALIA to NZ
HAL VOLENDAM...MAY 09 JAPAN, EASTERN RUSSIA, ALASKA
CELEBRITY INFINITY...NOV 09 PANAMA CANAL WESTBOUND
NCL JADE..MAR 2010 SPAIN,ITALY,GREECE,TURKEY,EGYPT, MALTA
NCL JADE..APR 2010,SPAIN,CASABLANCA,AQADIR,CANARY IS, FUNCHAL ,GRANADA
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM..MAY 2011...ALASKA
SUN PRINCESS....NOV 2011 AUSTRALIA to NZ
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM...APR 2013 HK,TAIWAN,KOREA,JAPAN,CHINA
RCCL QUANTUM of the seas..MAY/JUNE 2015 DUBAI OMAN INDIA MALAYSIA SINGAPORE
CELEBRITY SOLSTICE..FEB 2016...NZ TO PERTH, AUS

NCL JADE ..JULY 2017...HAMBURG..NORWAY..ICELAND ..SCOTLAND

Next .........
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION... 7 APRIL 2018..INDIA & SRI LANKA..TO DUBAI
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION...22 APRIL 2018..ARABIAN SEA & SUEZ CANAL..ROME
Northern Ontario, Canada
23 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We've been to St. Kitts twice, both times with Carnival, and have never had problems with feeling unsafe. The first trip we went on a private excursion to the fortress...beautiful views on the trip around the island and the excursion. The second time we just stayed in the port, it has some good shopping, though more expensive than some.
The only port I didn't like and didn't feel safe in on this cruise is St. Lucia. The market and downtown is okay shopping but we were followed by kids asking for money who were sent by other guys we'd bought beer from at the market. Then we were stopped by an older gentleman selling broken shells on the way back down the road to the port.
None of our other cruises to any parts of the Caribbean including St. Thomas, Nassau, Belize or Roatan, nor Mexico, have been a problem.
True enough though, it doesn't matter where you go there are problems whether you are in your own country or someone elses. Most of the problems on the islands during a vacation are isolated incidents that could happen anywhere, whether it is a shooting, robbery or what have you.

~ D

ps...you act the same away as you would at home and protect yourself, your family and your belongings.
Southern California
37,429 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Cruisebug in Canada
When they catch these thugs, they should put them in stocks in a public square for a few days - maybe let a little corporal punishment be administered by some of the hundreds, if not thousands, of islanders who depend on tourism have a shot at them. A little saliva shower would be too good for them...

Then lock them up for a good long time.
Is that all? Is that how Canadians handle thugs in Canada?
PNW
32 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I will be on several islands in January.After hearing this-I will not carry ANY cash or very little and will be canceling my shore excursion on ANY island that is having this problem. With the amount of tourist $$$ that are spent in these places- the cruise ships and the officials need to get their acts together or simply lose my business. In this economy there are way too many wanting tourist dollars to put up with this. After the fire on the one ship and then all of this I am actually considering canceling my second cruise. Just doesn't sound like too much fun from where I am sitting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature