Problems for the Amsterdam

dakrewser

Dave....

:) How in the world did you just happen to be reading the Falkland Islands Newspaper??? I get such a kick out of this fabulous internet. There is no way anymore to keep a secret anywhere in the world.

As long as no one was hurt......

How in the world did you just happen to be reading the Falkland Islands Newspaper???

Well, 90% of my workday is spent reading, much of that in one obscure journal or another. Once in a while I come across something interesting!

:) -dave

Wow! Just think of the experience the ship's passengers had! Those who got to spend the night with a local family will surely have special memories for their lifetime. Shore excursions in some locales allow you to dine with a local family ... but spending the night is something else! I can only imagine the inconvenience and tattered nerves. But as CaptData said it appears all turned out OK.

You can just never tell what Mother Nature will dole out!

The same thing happened back in 1987 during the Rotterdam's World Cruise.

I heard about it this morning when I received a phone call from my neighbour who is a retired HAL Captain who was sent the article by another retired HAL Captain. That's how news travels. :)

Dave,

Thanks so much for sharing that news with us. My sister only returned a couple of weeks from her cruise on the Amsterdam and they didn't stop at the Falklands only cruised around the area. She will be interested to read that article.

We are doing the S.A. cruise in January next year and hope to be able to go ashore, weather permitting. I am glad that they can look after so many people on the island if necessary. It would be such an adventure.

Jennie

Just read that the Amsterdam was anchored off Stanley in the Falklands yesterday when winds suddenly picked up shutting down the tenders. This stranded 2 Falkland Islanders on the boat and 963 Passengers and Crew on the Island!

Read the full story from the Falkland Island News Network.

We were on the Falklands in November 2001. During the tour conducted by a family on their large sheep farm they told us that high winds were always present. On the day we were there the winds were so strong that you had to bend over to walk into the wind. I also had a lot of trouble standing still enough to take pictures of the penguins. BTW, for some reason the penguins didn't have any problem walking about.

I seem to remember that this has happened to a cruise ship before.

Ruffin

I'm thinking of the typical HAL demographic---especially on a cruise such as this.

And all their medications back on the ship.

What a nightmare! :eek:

Kudos to the people of the Falkland Islands for their hospitality. :)

When we were in the Falklands in Dec. 2003 on the Amsterdam, I was very charmed by the people of Stanley/Falkland Islands. Our host/guide for 4 wheeling out to the penguin colonies was a 3rd or 4th generation Falklander with vibrant stories of the war fought not so long ago with Argentina.

What I found there on that cold, windy and ruggedly beautiful Island, where some of the most charming and interesting people I'd had the please to meet in my travels. Although I can imagine it was a horror for the passengers, many got to see a side of everyday life in the Falklands most never see and where able to experience the generosity and kindness of it's people! :cool:

Ruth.....

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I guess there is a message there. Even if planning to just go ashore in port for a brief time, it is wise to bring a full day or two dosage of any absolutely necessary meds.

I'm guessing a local pharmacy may have dispensed a few 'single dosage' meds to some very worried pax.

At least the Pharmacist in the Falklands would be English trained and have all the qualifications needed for a shipload of 900 passengers. The only trouble would be would he have enough drugs for even one dose for all the passengers that may have needed medication. From the wife of a Pharmacist.

Jennie

Yes, I'm sure they must have, Sail.

I found the Falklands to be a wee bit of Merry 'ol England in the cold South Atlantic.

I can't imagine that the people there would not have done everything possible to make their "guests" feel welcome.

Wow! Hosting 900 people, even for one night, is a big event in Stanley! Indeed, the people we met in the Falkands were just wonderful, so if one has to be stranded somewhere, Stanley would be a good place. It is a slice of jolly old England there. What an adventure! We took the Long Island Sheep Ranch excursion last year and Glenda and Neal, the owners were wonderful people who opened their home for the excursion, and yes that is one wind-blown piece of real estate! It sounds like that everyone survived the ordeal ok, though. . . . . thank goodness!

Thanks for sharing the story with us. I have never really thought much about the fact that I might not be able to return to the ship after an excursion. It certainly opened my eyes to the fact that it is possible.

My goodness! This was the cruise we'd originally booked! I was only in contact with one other couple, taking this cruise, on the Roll Call board, and I don't think they ever visited this board. Our adventures in the Falklands were much tamer.

Archived