Posted January 26th, 2011, 08:57 PM
We did a cruise this past summer with an identical itinerary...here's what we did at each port, followed by my reccomendation.
- Newport: Took public transportation (we're from the NY area, so for us, it's basically 2nd nature but honestly it was so easy and the staff were so friendly, I think anyone could do it.) The day passes are $6 per person, with unlimited rides. The buses loop and run every 15 - 20 minutes, we had no problem with long waits. http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php
There's the link, it goes past many of the mansions (breakers, marble house, etc.) cliff walk, tennis hall of fame, most of the big attractions. We got on/off as we pleased after doing some online research, we stopped at Touro Synagogue, Tennis Hall of Fame, Breakers, and Cliff Walk. A full day but it was lots of fun! The bus departs about 2 blocks from the tender dropoff, just walk to your left when getting off - you can't miss the HUGE building. HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED!
- Boston: We have been to Boston numerous times (the only port that wasn't brand new to us) but somehow still fell into taking the HOHO trolley that everyone has mentioned above. It's fine, but expensive and since we've already seen a lot of the city, we probably just could've done something that was less pricey and hit the spots we wanted. But if it's your first time visiting, not a bad way to see the city.
- Bar Harbor: Did the Oli's Trolley tour mentioned above and had a PHENOMENAL time...highly reccomended, the best way to see Acadia with a tight schedule. We had ample time to walk around and each lunch, Bar Harbor has a very nice, quaint, "All-American town" kinda feel to it. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here, probably our favorite port.
- Saint John: We booked the HOHO pick bus tour, again very expensive and we happened to be exhausted that day, so I don't think we really got our money's worth. Many of the loops also didn't really appeal to us. I wouldn't reccomend it, if we went again, we'd probably do Reversing Falls and maybe some exploring on foot (we like walking and it's a very walkable city)
- Halifax: We did the Historic Halifax/Peggy's Cove Tour with Jonathan on a reccomendation from cruise critic. Here's his website: http://www.yourcab.ca/
It's his own business and he runs a great trip, you can book privately or lower the cost by booking with others if you know anyone going. Yes, it was expensive, but it worked out to be the same price per person as the HOHO tours and we felt we got much more out of it. While he has a definitive plan that he knows works well, you basically rent him for 5 hours and do whatever you'd like in that time. More time at Peggy's Cove? No problem! Skip the Titanic cemetery? Sure! He's great, couldn't think of a better way to spend the day there!
Enjoy whatever you choose. It was an awesome itinerary and we had a great time!
Freedom of the Seas 8/08 ~ Caribbean Princess 8/10
Explorer of the Seas 8/11 ~ February 2012?
"A picture is worth 1,000 words."