Missing Disney crew member..

Capt. Johnny

Oh my goodness! I've just read this to my daughter who flies out to LA in 2 weeks time to join the Wonder as a Youth Activities Counselor.

Is she going to be this girls replacement - how awful!!

I would assume your daughter was hired previously to this incident so I wouldn't look at it as being her "replacement" unless you know the other girl was actually due to leave. There are several of these positions on each ship so hopefully your daughter was NOT replacing her, but someone else due to leave.

I would assume your daughter was hired previously to this incident so I wouldn't look at it as being her "replacement" unless you know the other girl was actually due to leave. There are several of these positions on each ship so hopefully your daughter was NOT replacing her, but someone else due to leave.

She was supposed to join the Dream in a months time but she was called yesterday morning and asked if she could leave sooner to join the Wonder!

This is her first time working on a cruise ship. We don't know what to think now.

She was supposed to join the Dream in a months time but she was called yesterday morning and asked if she could leave sooner to join the Wonder!

This is her first time working on a cruise ship. We don't know what to think now.

Well, I have to admit that could be the case. But having worked (and sailed) on ships people don't usually just fall over without a reason. I think your daughter will be fine and end up having a great experience. How is SHE feeling about it all? I know when I worked for HAL I was an emergency replacement and they called me on Saturday and I was in Venice, Italy the following Thursday! That was a whirlwind trip!:eek:

I think these cruise ships are some of the safest places on the planet. I think the rest of the story when it comes out will shed light on this isolated incident.

Well, I have to admit that could be the case. But having worked (and sailed) on ships people don't usually just fall over without a reason. I think your daughter will be fine and end up having a great experience. How is SHE feeling about it all? I know when I worked for HAL I was an emergency replacement and they called me on Saturday and I was in Venice, Italy the following Thursday! That was a whirlwind trip!:eek:

She was actually asked if she could leave next week, though to be honest they didn't say where she would be going at that point. She got that phone call Tuesday evening and they rang her back yesterday morning. Remembering we are in the UK and it's late here now so I cant work out the time difference, did they ask her after the event or not??

She's not at home right now, I rang her as soon as I saw this thread and she was a little shocked. I'm sure we'll discuss it more in the morning.

She is so excited to go - I hope this won't spoil things for her.

I'm sorry to hear about this and hope that there is some information soon regarding this poor girl. She must have checked back onto the ship at their last port since they don't mention her possibly being left behind.

karpela, while there is no place on earth that is 100 % safe, cruise ships have a very good reputation for being safe. Ports are relatively safe but you still need to use common sense and keep your wits about you wherever you are. Some ports are safer then others. Your daughter will learn which ports are which. Of course, it's a good habit to always go with a buddy! Good luck to her on her new adventures!

Hey SakeDad! Long time, no see!

DS got hired on the phone on a Weds afternoon, we spent Thurs & Fri driving to San Francisco to get a passport expedited, buy clothes etc, he flew out Friday night on a red-eye and reported to the ship Sat morning! Get used to whirlwind scheduling!

Hi Karpela

Noticed you are from the UK too. My Son and Daughter-in-law both work on Wonder, they have worked on ships for a few years and it is a bit nerve wracking to start with.

This is really sad for everyone invovled, but everything has to go on as normal, your daughter will actually be helping those close to this girl by being there and getting on with the job

Thanks for all your supportive comments. My daughter is still very excited about going and she is very sensible so I know I don't need to worry about her (too much!:)).

However, the focus should be on this poor girl and her family - I just hope they can shed some light soon on to what really happened.

Hi Karpela

Noticed you are from the UK too. My Son and Daughter-in-law both work on Wonder, they have worked on ships for a few years and it is a bit nerve wracking to start with.

This is really sad for everyone invovled, but everything has to go on as normal, your daughter will actually be helping those close to this girl by being there and getting on with the job

Hi Elaine

I hadn't seen your post when I wrote my last one.

My daughter did say she wonders how she will be received by this poor girls colleagues - but Lois is such a lovely, kind and positve person that I'm sure it won't take long for her fit in.

What do your son and daughter-in-law do on board? I'll tell Lois to look out for them.

She is going to be onboard all summer while the Wonder is in Alaska. It's very exciting for her but wow, am I going to miss her! Is it easy for your family to stay in touch with you?

Adele:)

Hello Adele

I can imagine your daughter's excitement I am sure she will have a great time onboard, it takes a bit of getting used to. We get regular phone calls and emails so it is quite good for keeping in touch.

My son is coming home on leave in two weeks, by the time Lois earns her 'ears' he will be heading home but my DIL will still be onboard, she is the Spa Manager.

Information is slowly starting to dribble out about the missing cast member from the Wonder. The CM was either 23 or 24 (both ages are being cited by sources) and from the U.K. Also, the following was just posted on another board:

"Another website(s) detailed specific information concerning the incident from another CM: this female (a) voluntarily jumped overboard and (b) did so at 3:00 a.m. on the day in question (Tuesday 3/22). The only way that this information could be known is if it were witnessed by another CM or (more likely) DCL did a review of its 24/7 on deck security cameras which would have captured this tragic event."

She must have checked back onto the ship at their last port since they don't mention her possibly being left behind.

The cruise left LA on Sunday and had two days at sea before arriving at Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday. This girl went missing on one of the sea days.

Information is slowly starting to dribble out about the missing cast member from the Wonder. The CM was either 23 or 24 (both ages are being cited by sources) and from the U.K. Also, the following was just posted on another board:

"Another website(s) detailed specific information concerning the incident from another CM: this female (a) voluntarily jumped overboard and (b) did so at 3:00 a.m. on the day in question (Tuesday 3/22). The only way that this information could be known is if it were witnessed by another CM or (more likely) DCL did a review of its 24/7 on deck security cameras which would have captured this tragic event."

What board? TIA

Someone was posting information in response to the news on cnn.com. They shared her age and other details. The papers in the UK are running the story with the girl's name and a photo. The parents apparently held a news conference at the Crowne Plaza in LA yesterday.

That's what I had read before this all happened and I was so pleased to see that Disney had not had anyone go overboard.

Out of curiosity, what does this being the first person missing on a particular ship have to do with anything??????????????????????? It's not a ship's fault when someone decides to "fall" off............

Out of curiosity, what does this being the first person missing on a particular ship have to do with anything??????????????????????? It's not a ship's fault when someone decides to "fall" off............

Amen, and absolutely agree with you! Hope this story has a correct and informative ending.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who is booked on the upcoming Wonder cruise.

Based on the latest updates, it is going to be a world-class media circus on the pier in LA next Sunday. The family of the missing CM has already arrived in LA and appears to have the full intention of being at the dock when the Wonder arrives, with the plan to board the ship and search it themselves. You can be sure a mass of press (TV, print, the whole nine yards) will be present to capture the action. Disney is looking at a PR mess and passengers embarking on the 3/27 sailing are looking at delays and hassle.

Archived