Service Dogs on Cunard

YvonneE

Hi,

My friend and I have gotten approval to bring our service dogs on board the QM2 in an upcoming trip.

My concern is the stress of the boarding lines. They are seizure alert dogs that are for the most part use to our country way of living, not lines and masses of people.

Our plan is to crate them going on board; could someone describe the procedures they will have to endure so that we can work on getting them use to the situation.

Any suggestions and thoughts welcomed

Thanks

Yvonne

I would contact Cunard with your concerns. They can probably arrange something, like pre-boarding so they don't have to stand in line and the stress factor can be lessened. I have never been on Cunard, but on our recent Diamond Princess cruise they did board people with disabilities first.

IMHO, crating the dogs would add to their stress, not alieviate it, however only you know how they will react in any given situation.

Getting in touch with Cunard has been nothing short of a nightmare. Contact via the web site is non-effective, and my TA has not been very useful either.

Still, thank you for you comments. I'll attempt contact with them as you suggest.

Regadrs,

Yvonne

YvonnE: I tend to agree with Twickenham. I think crating your service dog(s) will only create more stress, both for the dog and for you.

Depending on how long you have before your cruise, why not practice taking the dog to a more crowded area for excursions (shops, large cities, etc)? If the dog(s) have a problem with a lot of people in these type areas, you are probably going to have a problem in the dining areas onboard ship also, unless you plan on eating all of your meal in your cabin. You need to find out how your animals react around crowds BEFORE you cruise (are they overly protective, etc?).

Also, if your ship sails at 5:00 p.m., arrive at the pier about 2:30. It is usually most crowded earlier, as most people are in a big rush to get onboard, even though they usually can't get to their cabins until early afternoon.

Do you have any idea where you would store the crates, if you did crate the dog(s)? What about disembarking? Do you plan on re-crating the animal or how do you plan to take the crate off the ship with you? Is someone going to bring the crate onboard for you or are you depending on the shipline?

I think you really need to talk to Cunard and I wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. If your TA can't help you, maybe you should seek out another TA who will and change your reservation over to someone who is earning the commission they are getting from your booking?

Best of luck to you with this cruise.

I definitely plan on practicing having them in crowds.... its not that they will be disruptive, more that they will become anxious and nervous, and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

I really haven't gotten so far in thoughts about where the dog cages will be, etc. Just trying to work it out a bit. I had thought to borrow a pulley type thing to pull the cages (keeping the cages covered while boarding, maybe??)

Thanks for your continued thoughts and comments! I will contact Cunard!

YvonneE

Sue,

your freaking me out, I've repeatedly said it!

I'm going to get in touch with them as soon as possible.

YvonneE

I didn't mean to freak you out Yvonne! I've just found that some of the people that man the cruise line phones can be, well, a tad dense when it comes to our needs. They assume a lot of stuff that just boggles my mind. My suggestion to ask for a kennel person was to explain to that person that while it would be nice to have the crates kept there, maybe, your dog is for a disability and will be in your cabin. The kenneler may then have a better idea who to connect you with for any other dog questions such as where is the "poop deck" and what paperwork do you need for any ports including the destination (shot records, etc.).

This is just a shot in the dark, but I hope you are not planning on sailing out of or flying into the UK? (you didn't say *which* cruise you are on). If so, you do have to have your animal crated (no exception for service animals) for the flight. It's a UK embargo. Is this what you are talking about? If so, I can give you a UK resource to answer all of your questions.

Candy

This is just a shot in the dark, but I hope you are not planning on sailing out of or flying into the UK? (you didn't say *which* cruise you are on). If so, you do have to have your animal crated (no exception for service animals) for the flight. It's a UK embargo. Is this what you are talking about? If so, I can give you a UK resource to answer all of your questions.

Candy

Candy,

I'm driving them in from Sweden, then will have a approved quarantine kennel person meet us at Portsmouth, pick them us, transport them to the ship via a transit visa. That should get them on the ship. And then doing the reverse on the way home (no air flights involved at all).

I understand this should be ok. Please do pass on any resources if you I'm going about this all wrong.

Thanks

YvonneE

I didn't mean to freak you out Yvonne! I've just found that some of the people that man the cruise line phones can be, well, a tad dense when it comes to our needs. They assume a lot of stuff that just boggles my mind. My suggestion to ask for a kennel person was to explain to that person that while it would be nice to have the crates kept there, maybe, your dog is for a disability and will be in your cabin. The kenneler may then have a better idea who to connect you with for any other dog questions such as where is the "poop deck" and what paperwork do you need for any ports including the destination (shot records, etc.).

Thanks so much - I'm waiting for my TA to get back from vacation to discuss all of these things with her.

I appreciate your input so very much

Yvonne E

Well,

today, via email I was in touch with a passenger relations executive ---

and was told that my dogs can't stay in the cabin.

I'm now back to explaining that they are service dogs, not pets. As much as a seeing eye dog would serve no purpose in a kennel, neither would mine.

Worse part is another representative had cleared then, but this one isn't sure its do-able.

Had I not already paid for shots, visas etc, I would cancel this trip, both trips, (its round trip I've planned for). Certainly there is little understanding as to the needs of service dogs (in my case medical alert dogs).

Will keep you posted, glad you advise I contact them again... it would have been ugly to have not be able to board in UK at the last minute!!

Frustrated and disillusioned

Yvonne E

Please keep us posted Yvonne. I'm doing a Dover to Cape Liberty, NJ crossing in September on the Constellation. I'm not sure I'll be set up with my service dog by then but if I am, well.... I'll need all this information too.

Candy, if I am hooked up and finished training by then we are booked on a BA flight direct from BWI to Heathrow. I thought the UK softened the regulations once the Chunnel opened? How bad is it and you're saying the dog would need to be in the pressurized hold the entire flight?

Sue:

Yes you are right the quarantines in the UK were lifted, (in some cases) however in place of that is what they call the PETS scheme. There are certain specifications you must meet in order to bypass the 6-month quarantine. They are listed on the PETS website

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/PETS/index.htm

They include traveling on an "approved route" (those change frequently, but they do have a list). I don't see your route/carrier on the approved list.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/PETS/Procedures/Support-info/routes_longhaul.htm

But I would e-mail to see if that route/carrier has been approved as they are always adding more.

The animal must have shots, cert and chip, parasite checks, blood work (it's all very detailed and available on the website). In most cases the animal has to travel in a sealed container in the cargo bin (by sealed I don't mean "no oxygen" I mean that it has a customs seal on it that cannot be broken) but there are some exceptions for what they consider "registered service animals" that travel "certain routes". Basically you need to check for specifics.

Anyway, you should find all the info you need for your specific case on the website. The folks on the hotline and info e-mail are quite helpful too (listed on website)

Candy

Sue:

The animal must have shots, cert and chip, parasite checks, blood work (it's all very detailed and available on the website). In most cases the animal has to travel in a sealed container in the cargo bin (by sealed I don't mean "no oxygen" I mean that it has a customs seal on it that cannot be broken) but there are some exceptions for what they consider "registered service animals" that travel "certain routes". Basically you need to check for specifics.

Anyway, you should find all the info you need for your specific case on the website. The folks on the hotline and info e-mail are quite helpful too (listed on website)

Candy

Thanks for the sites, Candy. I will check them out. I discussed world travel with the service dog organization and they suggest balancing my needs versus how many shots are involved for the dog. Repeated vaccines for some diseases are not good for our treasured beasts.

I have had to have a dog flown in the hold and our friends who boarded her in Europe actually insisted on speaking to the captain in case the plane was delayed on the runway. The pressurized holds are not air conditioned or heated until the aircraft takes off. Many carriers will not accept pets in the hold during the hotter months due to this. My dog wasn't too thrilled with the ride even with the extra attention. LOL Refused to go near the washing machine while it was running for 3 months. Must have been noisy in there and it was a long trip: Berlin-Atlanta-BWI in 24 hours.

It is a shame to hear of all the trouble that you appear to be having. My first suggestion is that you call the center from which your service dog was provided. They will have answers for you as to restrictions as well as the appropriate contacts for you. These organizations are very familiar with the challenges faced by their clients and should be able to direct you. Additionally, they are your best resource on re-training as well as giving you an opinion on crating (which personally, for a service dog, I would not recommend) and air travel restrictions.

Best of luck and one final piece of advice......get everything in writing from the cruise line. I know it seems obvious, but there is always someone at the last minute who has a different opinion. The last thing you want is to find out prior to boarding that there is an issue.

Kathryn

Archived