Where does your port research start?

I would be keen to know if other source the CC 'Ports of Call' section when beginning to research new destinations. I have been doing that and learned so much...have names of private guides/tour companies and got a idea of best attractions.

Where do you start?

I start by trying to find out EXACTLY where the ship will perth or the tender will land in every port. This is often very hard to find out - and sometimes the info gained is incorrect. For example, we were assured by many people here that Oriana would tender into Airlie Beach -- WRONG!! We went to Hamilton Island! :rolleyes:

I like to find this out - so that I can map these onto Google maps and then look to see if there is anything interesting within walking distance of the landing - quite often there is not, so some kind of shore tour is necessary.

So - does anybody know where the tenders dock in VAVA'u, Tonga please??

Hi Anna,

As well as checking out the CC Ports of Call, I read reviews of people I know who have been to the same ports for ideas on the cruising forums.

I also check out Trip Advisor, VT and Wikitravel.

These are all good resources for pre- and post-cruise / holiday accommodation too.

I usually start with researching general information about the areas we will be visiting. I usually do this with library books or I buy guide books.

Then I hit the internet and CC boards are a great source of info. I learnt so much from the Hawaii boards for our recent trip there, it was fantastic.

I love the planning part of a trip and anticipating what is to come.

Archived