Cairns hotel

We plan to fly in a week before our cruise in November 2011 in order to visit the Great Barrier Reef on a live aboard snorkel option with Reef Encounter.

To make this option work, we need a hotel the night before and a hotel the night after in Cairns and are looking for suggestions. On the front end, we are really just looking for a hotel with a very comfortable bed as we will be exhausted from our travels. On the back end, we would love a nice hotel in a good location. We are not picky eaters but after being on a dive/snorkel boat for four days we would like to be near a nice restaurant.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Kimberly

We plan to fly in a week before our cruise in November 2011 in order to visit the Great Barrier Reef on a live aboard snorkel option with Reef Encounter.

To make this option work, we need a hotel the night before and a hotel the night after in Cairns and are looking for suggestions. On the front end, we are really just looking for a hotel with a very comfortable bed as we will be exhausted from our travels. On the back end, we would love a nice hotel in a good location. We are not picky eaters but after being on a dive/snorkel boat for four days we would like to be near a nice restaurant.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Kimberly

Hi there, We don't live in Cairns but our son does so we travel to Cairns regularly.

Recently my brother did the Reef Encounter Dive Cruise and he stayed at Rydges in the City for the nights before the cruise. It was fine, comfortable and had a laundry, probably 3 star. He booked thru wotif.com. For your night after the cruise, if you are after something a little nicer. The Novotel is in a good location, also the Holiday Inn, Hilton, Sebel and the Shangrila is right at the Pier and has great views. The Hilton & Sebel (not sure if it has recently changed its name) are close to the terminal where you would leave for the Reef Encounter and you would be able to walk. Most hotels in Cairns are close to Restaurants as there are many, many Restaurants. Hope this helps. Cheryle

Hi gordo, stayed in cairns last year in sebel very noisy, my pick for next time would be cairns harbor city lights. It is a short walk to marina, eateries and shopping so great location, also very good rates over Internet. Sebel was ok I was very glad I upgraded room and also to a quite area overlooking the marina, the room was small, the bed was great I had a good night sleep. But next time will defiantly go harbor lights, cheers kaz

Thank you both for the great information. It will come in very handy as we continue to plan our first visit to Australia. We will check out booking through wotif.com as soon as they release rooms for our dates.

In addition to hotel recommendations, we would appreciate any restaurant recommendations for Cairns. Our first night will probably be a quick meal and off to bed but on our last night we would like a nice meal - maybe a good steak or seafood restaurant?

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you both for the great information. It will come in very handy as we continue to plan our first visit to Australia. We will check out booking through wotif.com as soon as they release rooms for our dates.

In addition to hotel recommendations, we would appreciate any restaurant recommendations for Cairns. Our first night will probably be a quick meal and off to bed but on our last night we would like a nice meal - maybe a good steak or seafood restaurant?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Accommodation is easy.......restaurant selection a lot more difficult, especially in Cairns. There are many, many restaurants and they change hands frequently. One that we have been to many times and have never been disappointed in is the Seafood Buffet at the Sebel. The restaurant is called Cafe Coco. It is an up market buffet, and the seafood is very good. I am not a fan of buffets at all, but this one is good and has been around for many years. It is about $65.00A per head (just from memory!)

Murrumbeena - a really comfortable bed is a top priority for us - thanks for the suggestion!

resordanis - we appreciate the information and will keep the buffet on our list, but I think the hubby would prefer a nice sit-down meal after being on the Reef Encounter for four days.

Hi there :)...I have been to Cairns on a number of occasions. Last October

we stayed at the Mantra Esplanade Hotel, very comfy beds and very clean.

It is very well situated near the lagoon and is very reasonably priced.

There are many eateries very close at hand, including the Food Mall where you can get food from many different countries.

For your last night I can thoroughly recommend 'The Raw Prawn' which is a lovely sit-down restaurant where you can buy such a variety of seaford etc. It is about a 2 minute walk from the Mantra Esplanade. A lovely way to end your stay in Cairns....have a wonderful time :)

http://www.rawprawnrestaurant.com.au

• 3 months later...

We are posting an update on this issue as we are now able to check out pricing for hotels on www.wotif.com. They have our date range posted and we need help on understanding the way the system works.

In looking at their "Mystery Deals" for a five star hotel in Cairns, the price is $225 for Nov 21. Most of the options listed are for hotels over this price, with the exception of Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort for $105 and Seibel Cairns at $199. Having never used this website, we are at a loss on how this works. Where we live, our similar concept to the "mystery deal" has never included a hotel offering that was less in price than the specified option level.

If we select this option, will wotif only book a hotel for this star rating at a price listed over the mystery deal price or will they assign us any option at this rating level including a hotel being offered at less than 50% the mystery deal price? This is not a desired option for us (or we would just take the regular deal at $105) as the location is out of the area we want and seems too family oriented (which is not the focus for this trip). We don't want to pay more for the Siebel either but the other options in this rating option would be acceptable for $225.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

We are posting an update on this issue as we are now able to check out pricing for hotels on www.wotif.com. They have our date range posted and we need help on understanding the way the system works.

In looking at their "Mystery Deals" for a five star hotel in Cairns, the price is $225 for Nov 21. Most of the options listed are for hotels over this price, with the exception of Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort for $105 and Seibel Cairns at $199. Having never used this website, we are at a loss on how this works. Where we live, our similar concept to the "mystery deal" has never included a hotel offering that was less in price than the specified option level.

If we select this option, will wotif only book a hotel for this star rating at a price listed over the mystery deal price or will they assign us any option at this rating level including a hotel being offered at less than 50% the mystery deal price? This is not a desired option for us (or we would just take the regular deal at $105) as the location is out of the area we want and seems too family oriented (which is not the focus for this trip). We don't want to pay more for the Siebel either but the other options in this rating option would be acceptable for $225.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi there,

Not sure if this information will assist you, but I will try!

I am confident the mystery hotel is not the Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort, this caravan type park is on the outskirts of Cairns and the mystery hotels, says it is in Cairns, so I am sure that is not it! It will also not be the Sebel as it says that it is self rated (5) but not 5 stars. They certainly would not give you somewhere that was $105 vs purchasing a mystery deal at $225. I have used the mystery hotels in Sydney and have been quite happy and usually good value for money and can be generally $50 cheaper than the listed accommodation price at the hotel.

I agree with you, re the Cairns Coconut Holiday Park, whilst nice, not 5 star accommodation, probably only suited to families and not in the centre of town.

I am confident you would get something fine. Although is saying that, 5 star in some parts of the world are not 5 star in others. Apart from the Shangrila in Cairns I would say most are 4 to 41/2 star. Somebody will disagree with me I am sure.

I have mentioned this before, but I know the Sebel is in a great location. I know the food is very good there, but haven't seen the rooms for a long time.

If I can assist further just let me know. Although we don't live in Cairns, our son does and we travel there reguarly!

Hi there,

Not sure if this information will assist you, but I will try!

I am confident the mystery hotel is not the Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort, this caravan type park is on the outskirts of Cairns and the mystery hotels, says it is in Cairns, so I am sure that is not it! It will also not be the Sebel as it says that it is self rated (5) but not 5 stars. They certainly would not give you somewhere that was $105 vs purchasing a mystery deal at $225. I have used the mystery hotels in Sydney and have been quite happy and usually good value for money and can be generally $50 cheaper than the listed accommodation price at the hotel.

I agree with you, re the Cairns Coconut Holiday Park, whilst nice, not 5 star accommodation, probably only suited to families and not in the centre of town.

I am confident you would get something fine. Although is saying that, 5 star in some parts of the world are not 5 star in others. Apart from the Shangrila in Cairns I would say most are 4 to 41/2 star. Somebody will disagree with me I am sure.

I have mentioned this before, but I know the Sebel is in a great location. I know the food is very good there, but haven't seen the rooms for a long time.

If I can assist further just let me know. Although we don't live in Cairns, our son does and we travel there reguarly!

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your assistance.

We weren't aware of the self rating option - thanks for pointing it out.

We will check out the Sebel Cairns as well since their pricing is less than the wotif mystery hotel price and they have an excellent location.

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your assistance.

We weren't aware of the self rating option - thanks for pointing it out.

We will check out the Sebel Cairns as well since their pricing is less than the wotif mystery hotel price and they have an excellent location.

Also try the Sebel website they might have a good deal.

The Hilton is in the same location, but has been around a long time, so not sure it it is looking a bit tired.

The Shangrila is probably the best hotel as it has recently had an upgrade.

Another one that you might want to have a look at is the Novotel, not 5 star, but I have stayed there a while ago, good location, in the centre of Cairns and has had a makeover.

If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Also try the Sebel website they might have a good deal.

The Hilton is in the same location, but has been around a long time, so not sure it it is looking a bit tired.

The Shangrila is probably the best hotel as it has recently had an upgrade.

Another one that you might want to have a look at is the Novotel, not 5 star, but I have stayed there a while ago, good location, in the centre of Cairns and has had a makeover.

If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Thanks for the information. We considered the Hilton as we have silver status with them, but their pricing seemed rather high for our dates.

We found a package on line for the Pulmans Reef Hotel that is at about the same price as the wotif mystery deal option but also includes breakfast each morning, sparkling wine and a $10 gaming chip. The location looks great as well. I think this makes it a better deal, just need to check out some reviews. Your thoughts?

We will look at the other options you mentioned as well. Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks for the information. We considered the Hilton as we have silver status with them, but their pricing seemed rather high for our dates.

We found a package on line for the Pulmans Reef Hotel that is at about the same price as the wotif mystery deal option but also includes breakfast each morning, sparkling wine and a $10 gaming chip. The location looks great as well. I think this makes it a better deal, just need to check out some reviews. Your thoughts?

We will look at the other options you mentioned as well. Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi,

I have forgotten about that one! I have stayed there also but some time ago when it was called the Sofitel (I think). Again good location, close to the cruise terminal (if you want to go the reef etc.) and if the price you got was good, well that is all that matters!

I can highly recommend the seafood buffet at the Sebel at Charlies. It is about $65 per head (haven't checked for a while) but probably one of the best seafood meals you will get! I was in the seafood industry for 25 years, so know my seafood and have never been disapointed! Most people think that you will automatically get great seafood in Australia and also Cairns but that sometimes is not the case as we export a lot, but import just as much!

Enjoy your stay! Any other questions, just ask!

PS If you want somewhere else to stay for one night. Have a look at Green Island, truly amazing place to stay!:)

Why not consider staying at one of the beaches just north of Cairns, eg Palm Cover, Trinity Beach, very beautiful spots.

You would still be able to get a shuttle to or from the airport.

Cairns doesn't have beautiful beaches, the foreshore is mud flats when the tide goes out. I know they have did a lot to the foreshore. But there is some very beautiful beaches just north of Cairns.

Thank you both for the information. With what we have planned, I think it makes sense for us to stay in Cairns and the Pullman's Reef Hotel is looking like a great option for us.

Do you know if we can walk to the Cairns Marlin Marina, A-Finger from the hotel? (This is where we catch our transfer to Reef Encounter for our stay at the Great Barrier Reef).

And since Pullman's is right next door to Sebel, we will check out Charlies.

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you both for the information. With what we have planned, I think it makes sense for us to stay in Cairns and the Pullman's Reef Hotel is looking like a great option for us.

Do you know if we can walk to the Cairns Marlin Marina, A-Finger from the hotel? (This is where we catch our transfer to Reef Encounter for our stay at the Great Barrier Reef).

And since Pullman's is right next door to Sebel, we will check out Charlies.

Thanks again for the help.

Yes, as mentioned walking to where the boats go to the Reef is not more than 5 minutes.

My mistake....it is Cocos at the Sebel (not Charlies) (having a bit of a brain explosion!!)

Cheryle

Thanks for the information. We are happy to hear that the hotel is close to the marina.

Thanks for the clarification on the restaurant name as well. We checked it out on-line and it sounds great. Do you remember the dress code?

Thanks for the information. We are happy to hear that the hotel is close to the marina.

Thanks for the clarification on the restaurant name as well. We checked it out on-line and it sounds great. Do you remember the dress code?

Casual dress code.....everything in Cairns is casual dress code! They are very laid back people!;)

Thanks for the information. The website photo for the restaurant gave it a more dressy look.

Hi again.

I probably should have said smart casual. The times we have gone my husband has worn long trousers and open neck shirt, whilst I have either worn a smart dress. My son who lives in Cairns and always dresses in shorts actually wore jeans and shoes! I think they accept most dress codes and it is a very good meal (although slighly expensive for a buffet).

In Cairns there are many restaurants offering buckets of prawns etc. but beware of some (I won't name the main offender here) as they are not what they seem!

I have been in this industry and sold seafood into Cairns for many years!!

There are some places you would not eat in!!

Have a great trip!

Hi again.

I probably should have said smart casual. The times we have gone my husband has worn long trousers and open neck shirt, whilst I have either worn a smart dress. My son who lives in Cairns and always dresses in shorts actually wore jeans and shoes! I think they accept most dress codes and it is a very good meal (although slighly expensive for a buffet).

In Cairns there are many restaurants offering buckets of prawns etc. but beware of some (I won't name the main offender here) as they are not what they seem!

I have been in this industry and sold seafood into Cairns for many years!!

There are some places you would not eat in!!

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the info. The smart casual dress code works for us - I was hoping that my DH didn't need a coat and tie. We will see how he feels about the $65/person charge once we get there. ;)

We greatly appreciate all of your assistance. The information you shared has been extremely helpful in our trip planning.

Archived