Adaptors for RCL cruises

Hi, we are on Radiance B2B in Feb-March, and cant remember when we went on Rhapsody if we could use all our Aussie appliances just by using the adaptor ( especially hair dryer, last time I bought a dual voltage travel one but it was not great, and I do not like the ships hair dryers) does this little adaptor convert all our appliances? thanks Robin.:)

It doesn't actually convert the power so the device needs to work on 110v. Modern electronics (e.g. cameras, computers) as well as travel equipment e.g. hair dryers usually have universal power adapters that handle that, but not everything electrical does so you need to check if nor sure, that the label says it handles 110v-240v.

Hi Robin

Hairdryers are a hassle aren't they :D I purchased a 110V hairdryer online from the US specifically for use on US based ships here. Works like my regular one at home.....perfect! The problem with the dual voltage hairdryers, especially the travel ones, is they're just as poor as the ships ones.

Hi Robin

Hairdryers are a hassle aren't they :D I purchased a 110V hairdryer online from the US specifically for use on US based ships here. Works like my regular one at home.....perfect! The problem with the dual voltage hairdryers, especially the travel ones, is they're just as poor as the ships ones.

Thanks guys so if my appliances say 110-240v I should be ok, I'm sure by memory my camera and phones were ok, but the dual voltage hair dryer as soon as you switched it to 110v seemed to lose power might have to look into one like you got Debsta 34 days is a long time without a descent hair dryer:eek::p any advise as to where to purchase one would be appreciated. Also my husband has a sleep Aphnea machine which i'm sure he did'nt have when last on Rhapsody will have to look into that also. Robin:)

On the subject of "adaptors" we are going on Rhapsody in November (first RCI cruise). Do we need a plug in adaptor to charge our Aussie items such as camera, phone etc? ie are the plugs US?

Yes you will need an adaptor. Also suggest you take a power board with you, for use with the adaptor, as there are few outlets in cabins.

On the subject of "adaptors" we are going on Rhapsody in November (first RCI cruise). Do we need a plug in adaptor to charge our Aussie items such as camera, phone etc? ie are the plugs US?

For Rhapsody you need a European adaptor. We actually took a US and European and the main power point needed the European adaptor , then we just plugged our power board in to that..... They sell onboard as well so dont stress if you dont get one :D Fiona

Just to clarify Tassie's comment. You will find both 220 and 110 on cruise ships. the 110 have US plugs and the 220 European. All of the crew electric is 220 (vacuum cleaners for instance as well as the TV in the room) There will be more US plugs than Euro but I (US based) always take a euro adapter for my electronics, frees things up for the wife.

When we were on Rhapsody as said above we took both US and European. We found that the US did not work. (or barely) eg...Tried my hairdryer/straightner and it turned on but was very sickly sounding..lol:D so then tried the European and was fine. Someone onboard said the US is fine for mens shavers???? but recommended just using the European adaptor.... It all sounds very confusing doesnt it :rolleyes: Fiona

When we were on Rhapsody as said above we took both US and European. We found that the US did not work. (or barely) eg...Tried my hairdryer/straightner and it turned on but was very sickly sounding..lol:D so then tried the European and was fine. Someone onboard said the US is fine for mens shavers???? but recommended just using the European adaptor.... It all sounds very confusing doesnt it :rolleyes: Fiona

This could be why my Dual Voltage Hairdryer did'nt work all that well, as we had a US adaptor might invest in a European one. Just checked hubbies Sleep Aphnea machine and it is 100-240 volt so no problem there, thank goodness. Robin :)

Your 220-240 equipment when plugged into a North American socket are going to sound very poor as they are running on half power (note they are also on the wrong frequency as well but in this case they will be trying to run 20% faster. US is 60 Hertz to 50 in Australia

Archived