Serenade of the Seas - Panama Canal - 4/23/2005?

NKL

I've been searching, and searching, and searching the message boards to find someone else going on this cruise. Anyone out there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/not to do on this cruise and/or ship? Any information you have would be very helpful. Thanks, Naomi

Hi come on over to the meet and mingle section.My name is Joanna and i will be sailing with my hubby William.This will be our fourth cruise with RCCL.We are anxiuosly awaiting the next 49 days to pass till we fly out to PR. Come on over and check out the thread and Welcome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joanna: Thank you for your reply. You are the only one I have heard from. I finally got around to joining the meet and mingle group. Sorry for the delay. We are cruising with four other couples and I am going to try to get them to do the "meet and mingle". Don't know if they will or not. My husband, John; and my brother, Jack (John), will join the meet and mingle with me. We are booked in a balcony, cabin 8110, and very much looking forward to meeting you and other meet & mingle folks. Don't be shocked...We are active SENIORS! and love to cruise - our 4th & 5th, but a first with RCCL.

NKL-Hi active seniors---ready for the Costa Rica canopy/zip line?? Please join our M&M we are going with another couple and are so looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying the experience of the PC. If you have problems finding us write again and I will help you get to us!! We are on an aft balcony. Counting down on those 5 weeks..:eek: LindaMae

Small world. I have my in-laws (wonderful seniors -- cruise fanatics, esp RCL) in 8112. My husband and I are in 8114 (addicts but first real RCL), my brother and sister-in-law in 8116 (they are first-timers). My mom (this cruise was arranged as a gift to her) and sister are in 7610 because I wanted Mom to have the handicapped room). So you are right above her -- she'll know when you are sleeping, because she is so exicted, SHE won't sleep. See you on 23rd and at meet and mingle! Catherine -- YOUR NEIGHBOR! (p.s. my sis is looking for bridge partners, and I stink.)

Catherine: Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - my computer has been down. Your in-laws are right next door to us. Will look forward to meeting them (and you, too, of course). Sorry, We don't play bridge anymore - have forgotten how. I'm sure your sister will find someone she can play bridge with. We will probably get together with our friends for some "Mexican Train" and/or "Hand and Foot", since we'll probably have plenty of time during the sea days. I also like to spend a lot of time lounging around the pool and soak up the rays. Your mom is going to think she died and went to heaven if this is her first cruise...You may have gotten yourselves into something - she's going to want to go on every cruise with you from now on. Ha! We are now counting down the days. See you soon! Naomi

LindaMae: I am not sure we are active enough for the canopy/zip line. In fact, I'm not exactly sure what that is. Can you explain? My husband had quadruple bypass surgery in January, so I'm not sure he is up to anything too strenuous. My brother who is sailing with us may want to join you, though. I will ask him. See you at Meet and Mingle. Naomi

How great it is to here from all of you! This is just going to be a great cruise. I can feel it in my bones!!

I do not play bridge anymore.but can understand medical conditions. I had a cornea transplant 2 1/2 years ago. Still have stitches in my eye from a Laskik procedures. Maybe the canopy trip is not good, but there are many things on this trip. Something for everyone, and especially the meeting of new people. Thanks for coming along. Have a good weekend everyone!! LindaMae:p

My aunt and uncle are very fun and in their 70's. Their cabin is 9654 - very close to you LindaMae!

So far they have only scheduled golf in Aruba. Now that I've returned from my own cruise - I will keep busy helping them plan theirs. I am still confused by the two ports shown on the Panama Canal day. What are people planning to do on those?

My husband and I are very jealous of all of you - and hope you have a great time!!

I don't think we will be able to get off the ship that day until we get to Panama.After that I think we can get off and explore or do a ship excursion.I called RC and a guy there told me we could get off in Panama.I hope so but we will not be straying too far.And we will only be there for a few hours so that's just enought time to shop a little.

Anybody have any info on the port?I have searched but found very little.

Hey Naomi -- look forward to meeting you too. Actually, my mom is in 7610, not right below you. She is a pistol. She has cruised before, but not since my dad passed away. We sent them to Alaska in 1995, but this Panama Canal cruise has been her dream for many years, and to do it with all of her kids is a thrill for her. My in-laws are also a delight. I have the mother-in-law we all dream of. I've been married to her son for a grand total of 1.5 years (we both got a very late start in the wedding department -- he's a "few" years younger than me). Gloria (mom-in-law) says she'd be on a cruise ship every three months if she had her way. Me too! My husband does not own a suit, but he DOES own a tux -- for cruising! This is about our 7th cruise together, and we are hooked. But I think even I have never been SO excited! See you soon! Catherine!

LindaMae -- Who did you do the canopy trip through? we booked thorugh Canopy Tours, but I'm not sure how it works. Also, does anyone know a way to see the cliff divers in Acapulco without doing the whole tour? It looks like we'd have to do it during the day. And finally, I see there is no parasailing offered on our cruise. Does anyone know where to do it?

Kusscat-The cliff divers are about 10 minutes from the pier. If you just want to see them you can get a taxi. Always ask -most speak some English-how many pescoa or dollars it costs to go!!! Even use your fingers as they can play dumb. I love Mexico, and the people--we go all the time--unfortuately they are poor and like all people they know how to work the system. Also, you may get a taxi driver in the terminal that will give you a tour for a little extra money. Check out on the thread "Ports of Call-Acapulco" might have info as well.

Parasailing-We did that in Catalina from a boat take-off to a boat back. Be concerned about going off the beach. Make sure you look and see how it is going for others. We do not want any legs getting hurt. :mad: Always can tell us teachers-need to explain everything!!:eek: LindaMae

Catherine: For some reason it always take me a while to find this thread so that I can respond. I'm just slow - this site is such a big one. My husband also owns a tux - just for cruising - purchased before we went on our last one. He enjoys dressing up for the formal nights. Guess we will have 3 of them on this cruise, huh? Looking forward to meeting your mom and in-laws. I think they are in our "age" category. John and I are in our 60's and will be celebrating our 47th wedding (we eloped)anniversay (April 20th). The cruise is our anniversay gift to each other. We hope to cruise with our kids and grandkids on our 50th. LESS THAN 4 WEEKS until we cruise. Still haven't received our docs yet - getting anxious to find out when we fly out of PDX. Take care - until our cruise.........looking forward to lots of R & R. Naomi

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Naomi -- soon to be neighbor!!! My sister called me yesterday (she is in NY, I am in CA). Both she and my Mom (in OH) are packed! EEP! I'd better get started.

Congrats on your anniversary! (And you are way younger than my Mom. I am almost 53, and am the youngest.)

I am reading a 600 page book about the canal! I am now an expert on Yellow Fever!

Did your brother sign up for Canopy? We are going at Puntarenas. Being picked up at 9 am. http://www.canopytour.com.

Catherine: Good to hear from you....we are 1/2 packed, and expect to be 100% packed by Thursday. The on-line canopytour place isn't taking reservations over the internet, so my brother doesn't know how to sign up/or how much it costs. He'd love to go, so if anyone knows how he can do this, let me know. Three more days and counting down!!!!! Naomi

Archived