Princess ending 24/7 Horizon Court availability???

flamomo

I read a post elsewhere on the web that Princess is doing away with the 24/7 service in the Horizon Court.

According to that info, it will close at midnight and reopen at 5 AM.

I checked the news section on the Princess site, and there was nothing about it there. Has anyone else heard this?

Like yourself, I've only seen it mentioned a few times on certain ships.

I don't believe it's really economical to offer food all through the night for only a limited amount of people. It doesn't seem to be that bad of inconvenience if it saves them lots of money since from what I've seen the place is almost empty at 1 AM.

I read a post elsewhere on the web that Princess is doing away with the 24/7 service in the Horizon Court.

I checked the news section on the Princess site, and there was nothing about it there. Has anyone else heard this?

Here is a link to the new hours for dining, this is for the Sapphire (;))

If you notice, it now shows the HC closing at midnight (although many have reported the HC on many ships closes closer to 11:00 PM then midnight). http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/dining_options/sapphire.html

A few weeks ago on the Golden, the HC was still open all night, according to my teenage sons. They were often there in the wee hours of the morning. The teen club stays open until 3 AM, and Skywalkers is open late (I'd have to ask my 18 year old just how late they were there!) so shouldn't there be at least some food available for all those night owls? My boys and their friends would have been seriously disappointed if there had been no food available after midnight! Yes, there is room service, but since I forbid my kids to let anyone into their rooms, or go into anyone else's rooms, this isn't an option for a bunch of teenagers hanging out late at night.

Just had a look at the Island to see if they have a list of dining options like the one that Toto posted for the Sapphire but it is the old style dining info. Does anyone know if they offer the Chef's Table (even at the elevated price) - I did it on the Star and want to take (read that as make) my brother when we are on the Island.

Thanks

Really no loss as far as I'm concerned. I've been up there after 11 and the food that is there is pretty bad looking. If they have the International Cafe open that's good enough. If I remember correctly Royal C. closes early also.

Probably wasting too much food you think? I am never eating up there after midnight anyway. Sorry for others though that may use this during those times. I think even though they aren't feeding people out of their cabins during those hours, there will still be the feeling of having food whenever that is currently enjoyed by all cruiselines.

I think the economy is hitting everywhere, and if they aren't raising prices to accommodate the loss, than stopping some wastes aboard the ship will probably be a standard practice.

If they do close it up at midnight I wonder if there will be somewhere to get free coffee other than to pay at. the International Cafe

There are always coffee and tea stations that never close at the HC, if you can call it coffee? They are right inside the doors of the HC and they have nothing to do with the food service there. ;)

There are always coffee and tea stations that never close at the HC, if you can call it coffee? They are right inside the doors of the HC and they have nothing to do with the food service there. ;)

Thanks, thats good to know...I just assumed that if they shut down the HC it would be the coffee stations as well

Thanks, thats good to know...I just assumed that if they shut down the HC it would be the coffee stations as well

I don't think you have anything to worry about in that area. Even when half of the HC is closed (and only one side open), the coffee and tea stations are still accessible. ;)

Wonder if they would consider just closing down the "coffee" stations, instead. Would probably generate few(er) complaints;)

This has been covered in other threads. Apparently Princess is making ship by ship and itinerary decisions on whether to offer certain dining options. On some ships the HC is being closed overnight, on some, limited offerings. Some ships are also not serving lunch in the MDR on port days.

They appear to be basing decisions on projected usage and spoilage, which makes sense..

Does anyone know if they offer the Chef's Table (even at the elevated price) - I did it on the Star and want to take (read that as make) my brother when we are on the Island.

Thanks

We did the Chef's Table during our April cruise and it was worth it (IMHO).

We are going back on the Island this October and then with a group of 10 friends the following October of 2012. We are going to try to get the group to do the Chef's Table together.

I'm on the Diamond right now and the buffett now closes up at 11pm. I'm going to suggest they stay open until 1130pm at least as several times I've come out of the late show and would have liked a quick bite to eat before bed.

I can see why they shut down earlier ratherthan staying open all night but would have liked just a bit later time

Press releases do not get issued to report less benefits for passengers.

Just had a look at the Island to see if they have a list of dining options like the one that Toto posted for the Sapphire but it is the old style dining info. Does anyone know if they offer the Chef's Table (even at the elevated price) -

It is offered on all Princess ships.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in that area. Even when half of the HC is closed (and only one side open), the coffee and tea stations are still accessible. ;)

That's good to know. I need hot water to make my coffee very early in the AM. I am generally up there between 4-4:30 I bring my own coffee and have a couple of cups before the IC opens.

Thanks, Laura E.

Only because I was up and around do I know ship’s crew and staff used the HC in the wee hours. Learned later that the crew’s eating facilities would close down over night. While we are speaking of just a limited number of people, where are the crew going for their breaks?

My daughter has just come back from the Grand Princess and she says the new International cafe is open now 24 hours to compensate, we are on the Grand in 3 weeks so will be able to see for ourselves

This has been covered in other threads. Apparently Princess is making ship by ship and itinerary decisions on whether to offer certain dining options. On some ships the HC is being closed overnight, on some, limited offerings. Some ships are also not serving lunch in the MDR on port days.

They appear to be basing decisions on projected usage and spoilage, which makes sense..

Any way to find out the details for my boat/itinerary?

I get the reasons why, but I'm also a bit bummed out by it. This was always a special touch unique to Princess that we enjoyed as night owls. Most every night onboard ended with a late night ill advised plate of food in the HC, which was a very peaceful place to wind down the evening.

Of course, we also used to love the 24 hour pools on Princess, but those are gone as well...

Archived