What to do in Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:25 PM.
#1
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Has anyone stopped there recently? Any suggestions about tours, or visiting Leon and Cerro Negro would be much appreciated
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#2
Arlington, Virginia
2,632 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I have a relative who lives in Managua and we've visited him a couple times. On our first trip, he drove us to Leon and Viejo Leon. The Cathedral in the center of town in Leon is well worth a visit as is La Casa de Cultura art museum which is located in an old colonial home. We tried to visit the Catedral de Subtiava (which we had heard was good to see) but it was closed. There's a good open-air cafe, El Sesteo, right on the corner by the Cathedral and it's a good place to eat and people-watch.

We really enjoyed seeing Viejo Leon. This was the original town but was abandoned due to earthquakes and volcanic activity in the 1500's. The remains of the city are being excavated and the history of this place is so interesting. You are required to go on a guided tour for your safety and the safety of the excavations. This was a real highlight of our trip to Nicaragua.

Our daughter visited our relative on a separate trip and he arranged for her to do a "volcano-surfing" excursion on Cerro Negro. She said it a lot of fun, but a little dangerous too. If you are an adreleline junkie, this would be a great excursion for you.
#3
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by GradUT
I have a relative who lives in Managua and we've visited him a couple times. On our first trip, he drove us to Leon and Viejo Leon. The Cathedral in the center of town in Leon is well worth a visit as is La Casa de Cultura art museum which is located in an old colonial home. We tried to visit the Catedral de Subtiava (which we had heard was good to see) but it was closed. There's a good open-air cafe, El Sesteo, right on the corner by the Cathedral and it's a good place to eat and people-watch.

We really enjoyed seeing Viejo Leon. This was the original town but was abandoned due to earthquakes and volcanic activity in the 1500's. The remains of the city are being excavated and the history of this place is so interesting. You are required to go on a guided tour for your safety and the safety of the excavations. This was a real highlight of our trip to Nicaragua.

Our daughter visited our relative on a separate trip and he arranged for her to do a "volcano-surfing" excursion on Cerro Negro. She said it a lot of fun, but a little dangerous too. If you are an adreleline junkie, this would be a great excursion for you.
Thanks! It sounds like it would be interesting to visit Leon and Viejo Leon. You will probably find us people watching at El Sesteo rather than volcano surfing, but who knows
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#5
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Ballroom dancer
We just returned from a canal cruise and we used Julio in Puerto Corinto.
www.juliotoursnicaragua.com.ni We were very happy with them and the price was reasonable. We did run a little long at our lunch stop and missed the mud pits but otherwise it was fun. Check them out.
Thanks! I will check them out. I can't get the web site to work from this computer, but hopefully will have more luck at home. How many hours was your tour, and did you feel you got back to your ship in good time?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#6
Queensland Australia
143 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We used Julio last year on the Incan Empires cruise and can highly recommend him. His personal life history is extremely interesting, so if you use him get him to tell his story. Try this email address. [email protected]

Preston
#7
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by prerel
We used Julio last year on the Incan Empires cruise and can highly recommend him. His personal life history is extremely interesting, so if you use him get him to tell his story. Try this email address. [email protected]

Preston
Thank you! We have booked a tour with him. We are very excited about the trip!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#8
208 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
We have just come back from Cunard Q/V and used him in Porto Corinto for a day trip. Leon is the destination of choice and a taste of the real Nicaragua. If you fill up his van you get the best deal. We were very pleased with our tour and we could not have done better for the day, as the change to this port came at short notice. He is a bit political as he was a former guerrilla leader in the Sandinistas and has a fasinating life story. You will feel very safe - clearly nobody messes with Julio !!

Spend you money on tours in the central american destinations. The mexican destinations have a beach, but not much history.
#9
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by hampshirelad
We have just come back from Cunard Q/V and used him in Porto Corinto for a day trip. Leon is the destination of choice and a taste of the real Nicaragua. If you fill up his van you get the best deal. We were very pleased with our tour and we could not have done better for the day, as the change to this port came at short notice. He is a bit political as he was a former guerrilla leader in the Sandinistas and has a fasinating life story. You will feel very safe - clearly nobody messes with Julio !!

Spend you money on tours in the central american destinations. The mexican destinations have a beach, but not much history.
Thanks! We leave in a couple of days to do your trip in reverse. I was actually quite pleased about the switch to Puerto Corinto from Acapulco, and am looking forward to our day there (and to sipping Milkyway Martinis in the Commodore Club!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#10
Washington State
1,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Thanks for the recommendation for Julio. He was there on the dock when we arrived. He had a newish airconditioned van which was perfect for the 7 of us. We had a wonderful day with him seeing Leon and the mud pots, and we got back to the ship in good time. His history and involvement in the revolution was fascinating, and very educational for our 18 year old daughter who was with us
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com
www.youtube.com/user/samuels5731

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"



Queen Victoria 2017; Queen Mary 2 July 2016; Queen Mary 2 2015; Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#11
San Diego, CA
44 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Just adding this thought to the thread as there was little information on the Nicaragua boards when I was planning. We cruised with Holland America and the only day excursion was the one to Leon. We opted for hiring a private guide and driver with Green Pathways which ended up being cheaper than what HAL would have charged us. Both guide and driver were excellent with perfect english. We went hiking Cerro Negro which ended up being the highlight of our 15 day cruise. We highly recommend it for those who can hike an easy to moderate trail. Also recommend Green Pathway Tours. Tell the what you want to see and they will tailor make your day excursion. BTW, people who went on the HAL trip to Leon said they were disappointed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming!
Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand to Australia > December 16, 2015

Past Cruises...
Mariner of the Seas (RCI) - Mexican Riviera > August 2009
Coral Princess - Alaska (Anchorage to Vancouver) > May 2010
Westerdam (HAL) - Panama Canal (California to Florida) > Dec. 2012
Maasdam
(HAL) - Southern Caribbean > Dec. 2013
#12
107,603 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by SDadven
Just adding this thought to the thread as there was little information on the Nicaragua boards when I was planning. We cruised with Holland America and the only day excursion was the one to Leon. We opted for hiring a private guide and driver with Green Pathways which ended up being cheaper than what HAL would have charged us. Both guide and driver were excellent with perfect english. We went hiking Cerro Negro which ended up being the highlight of our 15 day cruise. We highly recommend it for those who can hike an easy to moderate trail. Also recommend Green Pathway Tours. Tell the what you want to see and they will tailor make your day excursion. BTW, people who went on the HAL trip to Leon said they were disappointed.
Great information.

The first time we stopped at Corinto was back in 2009 -- and HAL had only a couple of tours offered as it was an unscheduled stop and Corinto wasn't prepared for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.