What was your first luxury travel???

Barnabyjohn

And have been on the Crystal Symphony for my last 5 cruises.needless to say I love Crystal.The company is much more singles oriented, price wise, and also service wise from what I have heard from CC members who have sailed on Regent, Seabourn, Paul Gauguin, and Windstar as well. I took my daughter to Alaska on what many of us consider the bottom of the barrel cruise line , next to NCL, a "fun ship",and NEVER AGAIN! I will pay more and sail less frequently! Crystal is the best, and worth every penny!

What was your first luxury travel???

Explain this one

For us, it was traveling in the Queen/Princess Grill on board the QM2. I understand the rest of the ship is not luxury, but you really were treated very special in Cunard Grills. Kind of a throwback to past oceanliner travel. We've done both Grills & Britannia level. It really makes a difference. We'll be on QV this Jan. This time it will be again in Britannia. It will be interesting to see how Britannia has changed in the past 3 years. It was always nice, but without the "personal" touch of the Grills. Hard to give that kind of service to 1500 v/s 200.

Our first luxury cruise was on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. It still holds a special place in our heart. At the time it was managed by Regent (then Radisson) Seven Seas so the logical next step was to take a Regent cruise. We love the relaxed, country club atmosphere on the Paul Gauguin (still sailing in Tahiti) as well as on Regent.

My first taste of Luxury travel was when I accompanied my client to Asia in 1987 to inspect potential vendors for a packaging project we were working on. First class air to Japan, overnight, first class air to Hong Kong, stay in the Shangra La, and then first class back to USA. Amazing trip.

My first luxury vacation was 2005 trip to Alaska on the Harmony. It is still the best cruise we've gone on. We're now up to 1 trip on the Harmony and 3 on the Symphony. We will make another Crystal trip, when we don't know, but it will happen.

• 1 month later...

I suppose travelling First Class on the Italian line in the late '60's, early '70's. Not at all "luxury" by today's standards but in those days it really was... then Regent to Alaska in 2004. We and a group of friends had been to Norway on the Hurtigruten and thought we would try Alaska. I hunted around for what I thought was the best combination of small-ish ship (but not an "expedition" ship) and quality. Ever since then we have been hooked on Regent and cannot imagine trying anything else... I suppose we are afraid that we would be disappointed with another line!

• 1 month later...

I guess I would have to chime in on this one and say none as well. Although we have the income, we are only 32 and 35 respectively, so, our biggest dose of luxury cruising has been a Holland America Cruise (SA Category Suite) and an Upcoming celebrity cruise (aqua class suite). About 75% of our CCL experience has been in at least a category 11 suite.

May I ask, which of the luxury lines lends itself to a younger clientele?

I guess I would have to chime in on this one and say none as well. Although we have the income, we are only 32 and 35 respectively, so, our biggest dose of luxury cruising has been a Holland America Cruise (SA Category Suite) and an Upcoming celebrity cruise (aqua class suite). About 75% of our CCL experience has been in at least a category 11 suite.

May I ask, which of the luxury lines lends itself to a younger clientele?

In my opinion, it is dependent upon the time of year and itinerary. Retired people tend to take the longer itineraries and sail when school is session. Younger people and families travel during the summer and school breaks. In general, most cruise ships have a large population of seniors (except cruiselines that cater to children like Disney and Carnival).

You might find a luxury cruise to your liking. It is an environment where everyone is in a luxury suite -- no special pools, dining areas, etc. Of course, the ship size is considerably smaller as well. Our favorite luxury cruise lines are Silversea and Regent. Silversea has smaller ships (largest holds 540) while Regent's largest ships hold 700. We sail mostly on Regent -- their all-inclusivity extends to airfare (coach with reasonable upgrades to business class) and many excursions. While you would not be the youngest couple on board, most of the passengers will be a bit older:)

In my opinion, it is dependent upon the time of year and itinerary. Retired people tend to take the longer itineraries and sail when school is session. Younger people and families travel during the summer and school breaks. In general, most cruise ships have a large population of seniors (except cruiselines that cater to children like Disney and Carnival).

You might find a luxury cruise to your liking. It is an environment where everyone is in a luxury suite -- no special pools, dining areas, etc. Of course, the ship size is considerably smaller as well. Our favorite luxury cruise lines are Silversea and Regent. Silversea has smaller ships (largest holds 540) while Regent's largest ships hold 700. We sail mostly on Regent -- their all-inclusivity extends to airfare (coach with reasonable upgrades to business class) and many excursions. While you would not be the youngest couple on board, most of the passengers will be a bit older:)

Great reply. Thank you. Others feel free to post as well. I prefer a larger ship with more space. I like the idea of being able to "roam".

My first luxury travel experience is one I can barley remember- on a family trip to Egypt, First Class return, five star hotels, etc. was 1 and a half years old.

I used to, when between the ages of 3-7 accompany my mom for about 2 weeks on an annual business trip to Monte Carlo and Cannes, where she used to work. That too was a semi-luxury experience.

My first real luxury experience where I organized, and was old enough to appreciate was a quick two night trip to Qatar three years ago- Business Class air both ways, stayed in The Ritz-Carlton, etc. Since then theres been a lot more from where that had come from, am now an elite member of The Ritz-Carlton, did a 18 hour flight last year in Business Class which was my first ultra-long haul experience of a premium cabin, sailed Seabourn in 2010 and am planning to try another luxury line during the course of this year.

While I still am not keen on dishing out $4,000 for Business Class tickets to the USA frequently, I'm lucky to have been able to upgrade all other aspects of my travels to luxury- 5 star hotels, restruants and hopefully from now on cruises. After my voyage on P&O's Oceana, I hope that is the last mass market ship I find myself on in a very long while. Nonetheless, we all need to realize that a cruise is a luxury in every way, the luxury cruise lines are in fact ultra-ultra-luxury products as even a Carnival cruise is ''luxury'' in the basic sense.

My first luxury cruise is in 31 days on board Regents Seven Seas Navigator. Doing a back to back in the Caribbean. Total 21 days. Have had 23 previous cruises but always on mainstream ships.

Heather

Wow enjoy! I'd love to take 20+ days on a ship. I don't see that happening. My longest cruise was 12 days and that didn't seem long enough.

Nomads of the Seas. Not really a 'luxury' cruise in the sense of fancy decor and flowing formal wear, but certainly the most luxurious cruise in terms of the overall experience (and the food!). Sailed in Patagonia, and will never, ever forget how incredible the ship and the area are. Simply spectacular.

Loved Crystal Symphony, too. I'm no wimppy girl, but I cried all the way down the gangplank when we had to disembark. Truly one of the most relaxing, luxurious cruise ships I've ever had the pleasures of experiencing.

Asa flying TWA to London and Paris first class and staying at the George V and Clivden in UK. Lately flying to Frankfurt in a UAL sleeper suite from Hawaii !

First luxury cruise was 28 days on Regent Seven Seas LA to Tahiti, Hawaii On Sept 14 2001. Then later 36 days on the Mariner from Sydney to LA in a penthouse... with first class air to Sydney .

As to the question of younger guests enjoying a luxury cruise let me comment. For the most part people on a luxury cruise will be older, very well traveled and have acheived an income sucess that allows then to seek the better things. They are people , I found. to be the sort that like deep conversations with others and can entertain themselves. They dont require a lot of activites . They are very warm and low key sort of people. Very considerate and well mannered. The ship this has this overall low key ambiance that does not exist on non luxury lines

Too many will have clildren in the 25 to 35 age range so that might limit their interaction with younger passnegers.

To be sure a younger passengers might be limited by the depth of their experiences to share with others. I have thus enjoyed conversations with former ambassadors, astronauts, and scientists as the ship provided a "co-equal" atmosphere. The sheer lack of numbers of humanity 350 to750 compared to 2000 and 4000 passenger ships is very calming and give for a country club or exclusive club membership atmosphere.

The experience will be very different from the mass market ships like Holland and way different from Carnival and Celeb.

Staying in a top suite on Celeb or Carnival and to some extent Holland is way short of the luxury cruise. On these ships is is pretty much once you step out of the cabin, nickel and dime time. There will be a huge ship with thousands upon thousands of every color, creed and culture. From Priests to Hells angels from Wall street brokers to Ditch diggers. Like cruising with the superbowl stadimum with screaming toddlers in the hot tubs to cranky codgers on scooters..

I have always said that it is folly to book top class cabins on these mass market ships when for as much or even less one can experience luxury, and ambiance everywhere on the ship, not just in the cabin! What you may have taken for luxury, or were sold to as luxury, will stand in starke contrast to the real deal.. of a real luxury ship. Where everything is included from start to finish, free from hype to buy this or reserve that.

So will you enjoy a luxury cruise? That is up to you. Just be prepared for less entertainment, a lot less, more enrichment and personal interaction with fellow passengers outside the bar or show room. Is that you. ? After 10 most lux ships are very quiet as people relax in their suites, getting ready for the next days adventure. You might be the only one in the disco at 10:30 !

It is a very different more relaxed pace with a very low key quier set of fellow travelers.

Archived