Posted January 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM
I will be honest. I do not usually watch 20/20 (ABC) and I would have completely missed the episode on cruise ships if I had not been reading the Carnival Cruise Boards. Because of the comments I decided to review this episode.
Please note that my wife and family are big time cruisers, we have cruised more than 20 times on many of the cruise lines including Carnival, RCCL, Disney, Princess, and Celebrity. We are booked for Azamara.
We are also big time fans of the cruise industry and we do feel that taking a cruise is one of the best values for the money.
With that being said, we do feel that the 20/20 episode "Cruise Confidential" gives one much to think about. Questions we do feel that the cruise industry should answer will include:
1) How did such an incompetent individual as the Captain of the MS Costa Condordia ever get promited to such a high position?
2) Why were the safety mechanisms on the ship not working?
2) In an attempt to improve their profit margins, is the cruise industry overly promoting alcohol intake?
3) Are we seeing in increasing numbers groups of passengers (even gangs) becomming more disorderly, ruining the cruise for everyone else.
3) Is there enough security on these ships?
4) Are Mega-Cruiseliners as safe as they could be
5) Are the work conditions for the crew condusive to a safe ship?
I would suggest that people do watch the ABC 20/20 episode. I have taken the liberty of posting it on the website.
Thank you for sharing the post for 20/20. I have yet to see the episode. However, I had the opportunity to cruise with Carnival to Mexican Riviera, the moment the cruise took off, the alcohol was flowing. The first night, there were vomit along the hallway to the room! St Patrick day fell on one of the cruise night, it was mayhem! I have witnessed the following:
1. Bottle of beer was in the hand of teenagers who were clearly underage, barely walking straight in their heels! It wasn't just one teenagers, there were many of them in a drunken state
2. A drunk passenger (approximately age early 30's) was harassing a group of teenagers who were clearly scared out of their wits until a passenger intervene.
3. One of the drunk passenger pushed my kid when he was walking by
Incidents such as this brought question into mind:
- Were they checking ID before you serve alcohol to people especially when they are at a questionable age?
- Is there a age restriction for alcohol in international water?
- Should they not stop serving alcohol to passenger when they are clearly drunk?
We are aware that they make alot of money from alcohol, but surely they should take some responsiblility when they serve their passengers? Or is that asking too much?
We were at the security office after my child got pushed by another drunk passenger, the poor security office were very busy with lots of incoming call with passengers causing mayhem.
On another note, after the Costa incident, we called Carnival to find out the name of our captain for the upcoming cruise. Then we found out that all the captains on Carnival are Italians. We are trying to figure why?
These are account of my personal experience, having said that, the crew that worked on Carnival are excellent. We are going to another Carnival cruise in March.