Tortola

DEL67

We'll be in Tortola while on the Zuiderdam in early May. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do? My husband can transfer from his wheelchair to a taxi or van so we do not need accessible transportation.

• 1 month later...

Since we have returned, I will answer another of my own questions in case it will be of value to someone else.

When we arrived at the end of the pier, the dispatcher there tried to have us join a van tour of the island. After explaining twice that my husband could not get into a van, he called a regular taxi who took us on a 2 1/2 hour tour of the island for $20/person (the same price as the van tour.)

Hi DEL67

I have not posted in this forum before. My husband is confined to a wheelchair and we will be in Tortola in Jan 2006. Was the taxi you used an accessible taxi? If not could we get around town a bit just walking with me pushing my husband? Is there anything interesting to see in town?

Thanks

El

El:

No, it was not an acessible taxi. My husband can still transfer into a cab or minivan and we bring a folding, manual chair for use on shore so we were able to use a regular taxi. He just could not get into the full size vans they were using for the tours.

Yes, you could get around town with you pushing your husband. There are sidewalks from the pier into town and it is fairly flat. There is not much to see in town, but it would be a break from the ship.

There is a "straw" market near the pier; however it is in a field which would make it difficult for the wheelchair. Although we did not walk around town much, I did notice several stores and restaurants. After the island tour, my sister and I went to Sunny Caribe which has stairs so it is not accessible. There also was a black coral jewelry store on the first street to the right after leaving the pier which I think would be accessible.

El, I have a 15 year old and a 7 year old both with Spina Bifida that can't walk and are full time wheelchair users.

We went to Tortola in Feb this year. When you get off the ship you take the street and turn left to get on the sidewalk. There is a flee market on the left hand side but it is set up in the gravel and my oldest tried to get in to look at some stuff but she got stuck and had to be pushed out. There are no curb cuts on the sidewalk and rolling in the street wouldn't be that safe because they fly down the street. However, once you get to town there is an area with colorful stores the size of sheds that sell everything but only take cash. My kids loved it because there were chickens and roosters walking in and out of the stores.

Archived