NCL Jewel Dress Code

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:59 PM.
Utica NY
9 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
So after reading alot of threads I see that NCL is very laid back about dress codes. Thats great since my husband "doesnt believe in sport coats" ha.

My question is...I LIKE to wear dresses...not floor length, formal, wedding attire. But cute knee length dresses (like easter dresses)..am I gonna stick out like a sore thumb in these? I don't really wear shorts alot and now I'm wondering if I should go shopping for some!!

Thanks Again Cruisecritics
Connecticut
393 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by bmcgee1944
So after reading alot of threads I see that NCL is very laid back about dress codes. Thats great since my husband "doesnt believe in sport coats" ha.

My question is...I LIKE to wear dresses...not floor length, formal, wedding attire. But cute knee length dresses (like easter dresses)..am I gonna stick out like a sore thumb in these? I don't really wear shorts alot and now I'm wondering if I should go shopping for some!!

I just came back from the Jewel. On our particular cruise, I saw several women with those sort of dresses when we were in the warm weather and around dinner time. The Jewel has two dress up or not nights, where you can wear formal or semi formal attire if you so choose. On our cruise, not very many people chose to dress up for those nights. I wore a dressy outfit for dinner on those two nights (chiffon skirt and top, and other night velvet pants and sparkly top). I felt that I stuck out somewhat, but I did not really care. We ate at Le Bistro on those nights which is dressier than the other restaurants. I saw a few gals in even dressier outfits. However, during the day and on non-dressy days, most people were very, very casual.

I guess, just wear what you are comfortable in because the cruise is very casual.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Ecstacy: 3 day Bahamas
Carnival Fascination: 4 day Key West/Cozumel
RCL Sovereign of the Seas: 3 day Bahamas
Celebrity Zenith: Bermuda 2002
RCL: Bermuda 2008
NCL Gem (4 times, Weekend cruises)
NCL Dawn (10/11 Weekend cruise)
NCL Spirit (9/10 Weekend cruise)
NCL Jewel (1/12 7 day Bahamas/FL)
NCL Pearl (9/8/2013 Alaska)
NCL Gem (2/9/15) (St. Thomas, PR, BVI)
NCL Breakaway (2/12/17) (7 day Bahamas/FL)
NCL Jade (9/3/17) (8 day Northern Europe)
1,768 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
You'll fit in fine! I've always seen lots of women wearing pretty dresses on my cruises!

Bear in mind, you will see the whoooooole range of outfits on every cruise! From "REALLY? You decided to go out in THAT?" to "I wonder how I can ask her politely where she bought that so I can get one of my OWN..."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
610 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by bmcgee1944

I agree with the 2 other posts and I would also add that it really does depend on which restaurant you are dining in. If you want to try one of the upcharge restaurants like Cagney's or LeBistro, then a tea-lenghth (style you like) is quite nice. I've seen people run the gamut from blue jeans and t's to dressy in the restaurants.

Just dress how you want, what makes you comfortable. Most people dress casual.
Ontario, Canada
8,231 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I'm really not sure whether you are asking about day wear or dinner wear. So I'll address both

For day wear ideas on what other's wear take a look at this you tube video from the summer. As you can see there is everything from shorts, to jeans, to summer dresses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQDQE...eature=related

For dinner wear. Think of going go a restaurant in your home city. You have everything from shorts to suits. NCL cruise ships are the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Acronyms most commonly found on on CC, NCL forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642440

NCL Dawn 2-21-2009
NCL Star 2-21-2011
Carnival Glory 6-20-2013
NCL Dawn 2-9-2014

NO MORE CRUISING
FL/USA
1,842 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
You are your husband will BOTH be very happy on NCL. As previous posters have said, the clothing in the main dining rooms runs the gamut. Most folks are very casual - even on Dress-Up-Or-Not night - but really, there's a live-and-let-live attitude so you'll be fine.

My husband and I tend to dress casually, but we do enjoy seeing others all dressed up. One memorable older couple on our South American cruise was dressed up every night; he was wearing a suit and tie and she was wearing a dressy dress and pearls. Our all-time favorite, however, was a foursome on a Caribbean cruise; the women were dressed to the nines in long dresses, jewels, and elaborate hairstyles, and the men were in Hawaiian shirts and khaki pants!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seeing the world. . . . one port at a time!
Upcoming: British Isles: NCL Jade: May-2017; Antarctica: Midnatsol: Feb-2019
Completed: Norway & the North Cape: NCL Jade-6/08
Western Caribbean: NCL Pearl-11/08, NCL Dawn-1/14, NCL Jade-11/16
South America: NCL Sun-2/10, X Infinity-3/15
Eastern Caribbean: NCL Pearl-11/10, HAL Westerdam-11/14
Grand Mediterranean: NCL Jade-4/11
So. Caribbean: Zuiderdam-11/11, Oosterdam-11/15,
Norway, Iceland & The Faroe Islands: NCL Sun-9/12

Bahamas: NCL Sky-11/12
Alaska Northbound: NCL Sun-5/13
Baltic Capitols: NCL Star-5/16
7,463 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by polySeraph
You are your husband will BOTH be very happy on NCL. As previous posters have said, the clothing in the main dining rooms runs the gamut. Most folks are very casual - even on Dress-Up-Or-Not night - but really, there's a live-and-let-live attitude so you'll be fine.
Absolutely true, and this is one of the reasons we continue to cruise again and again with NCL. I don't know why, but it just seems that NCL cruisers are a very friendly, non-judgmental bunch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
June 2018 HAL Noordam (Seward to Vancouver)
September 2018 NCL Dawn (Boston to Quebec City)
Past Cruises:
Holland America: Nieuw Amsterdam III; Eurodam; Westerdam; Maasdam; Nieuw Amsterdam (3); Veendam
Norwegian: Jewel (3); Pearl; Spirit (2); Star (3); Sun (4)
Princess: Coral; Golden; Island
Royal Caribbean: Monarch (2); Radiance (2)

North Carolina
2,430 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Been on the Jewel 3 times and I agree with everyone else. Wear anything you like. You'll see some people dressed to the nines, some very casual, and everything in between. It's great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Home Lines-2, Princess-2, Norwegian-10, Carnival-4