Cabin for 5

snorkler8

We are about ready to book a cabin on Triumph. We have never been on Carnival so I am not familiar with the cabin sizes but have heard they are bigger than most. So my question is (and please tell me if you think I am nuts lol) we will have DH, myself and three sons, ages 19, 15 and 13. Are we going to kill each other? We will do an inside cabin as we only plan to sleep there, would rather spend the extra money on fun than a window or balcony.

Any info/opinion would be greatly appreciated!

We are about ready to book a cabin on Triumph. We have never been on Carnival so I am not familiar with the cabin sizes but have heard they are bigger than most. So my question is (and please tell me if you think I am nuts lol) we will have DH, myself and three sons, ages 19, 15 and 13. Are we going to kill each other? We will do an inside cabin as we only plan to sleep there, would rather spend the extra money on fun than a window or balcony.

Uh- I think the answer could be yes- you may all kill one another. That is a lot in an inside- I would suggest you spend the extra for 2 inside cabins. Depending on the cruise it is usually not a lot more and will give you 2 bathrooms and breathing space. It can be done in one but I really wouldn't want to. They are bigger than most but you don't have toddlers any more-

I understand wanting to save the money...I have never done 5 to a cabin but I have done 4 and really I imagine it wouldn't be much different. I have read on here that with some furniture adjusting you put the trundle in the middle of the 2 twins making it a very large space all the way across and then of course the pull downs up above. Your sons are at the age where the will want to be at the teen clubs the whole time and really won't wanna see you much at all! Hehe. I would schedule doing dinner in the main dining room each night with your boys and let Carnival do what it's great at, and that is family-friendly fun. The clubs are the best on the seas, recommended more highly than other cruise lines even! You will be pouring yourselves into bed each night and just want to sleep, no fuss, no muss! Also, a great way to keep from killing yourselves...cos when it comes down to it bathroom time/showering would be your biggest issue for the 5/1 scenario...use the showers in the spa! They are bigger and available to anyone! Bring a power strip too as there is only 1 or 2 outlets in the entire room! With all that Carnival has to offer you all will have a great time...alone time with your hubby, plenty for your boys to do and family time too! Enjoy!

My DH did an interior on the Fascination with his mom, dad, brother, and sister when they were around 16, 17, and 23. He said it was tight but they didn't spend much time in the room and it worked fine. They just had to schedule out showers, getting ready, etc. He said he would do it again with 5 people in a room if it was the only way he could cruise.

Wow... 5 in an inside cabin. You're brave... I'll give you that!

All inside cabins are 185 sq ft... pretty small. The Ocean View cabins are 220 sq ft... more breathing room. You'll have a trundle bed... pretty much regardless of how you book. It's 73X29 so that extra 35 sq ft in an OV would really be a plus...

:)

If everyone gets along well, it could work. If they fight all the time like some teenagers, don't do it. Another thing to think about is how late they sleep. With the bunks down and the trundle out it will be more crowded. The Triumph insides have L shaped beds and the trundle will actually fit snuggly beside the twin on the wall directly across from the door. This will leave a large bed with a bunk over it on one wall and a twin with a bunk over it on the other wall.

With all of that said, we have kind of done it with grown women. (There were only four of us, but one decided she absolutely could not do the top bunk, so we put a trundle in. The trundle does have an awful mattress. We asked for the bunk mattress and placed it on top of the trundle mattress and wedged it in. It worked great. We all get along great.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

We cruise with five of us, but we always get adjoining rooms (adjoining balcony rooms) - my husband, youngest child (15) and I sleep in one room, and my son (17) and BIL sleep in the other room. I can't imagine five people staying in one room without killing each other.

If it's the only way you can cruise--then do it--and follow suggestions above with power strips, lots of activities and spa showers!

But, if you can at all afford it--2 inside cabins at ES rate and then watch for price drops!

We are thinking we might do 5 in a cabin for Europe....because of the $$ and it is so port intensive.

Walk into your living room. Picture all of you sleeping in the same cabin, including the bathroom as part of that 185 s.f. plus a closet takes up space with three sections and 4 drawers split 5 ways. Only 3 drawers are deep enough to really hold anything.

I tried to book five in a balcony for the Splendor on the 18th and my PVP said it was not possible max was 4 per cabin

That's because only the Dream class, and ships launched in or before the year 2000 (Fantasy class, Destiny, Victory, triumph) are approved for five in a cabin. EM

We have some close dear friends who are willing to try cruising with us. So we are looking into 5 in a cabin as well, just for the financial benefit. We all started saving already. We have all shared a tent when camping for 4 days and they stayed a week with us in our first place, a 190 sq. ft cabin we lived in for 3+ years. We figure a cabin on a cruise with the whole ship to play on and port heavy can be done.

One of the 5 is a child, so this helps a bit. But yes, gotta know the quirks of the 5, totally agree.

We have always found personally that, what the ship has to do, ports and meals way out weigh any cabin faults, so we are commited inside cabin folks.

Wow... 5 in an inside cabin. You're brave... I'll give you that!

All inside cabins are 185 sq ft... pretty small. The Ocean View cabins are 220 sq ft... more breathing room. You'll have a trundle bed... pretty much regardless of how you book. It's 73X29 so that extra 35 sq ft in an OV would really be a plus...

:)

73x29?? Want to stay in that cabin!! LOL

Personally having seen an inside set up for four, I would never try it with five. But we do enjoy time relaxing in our cabin. We just had 5 in 2 connecting cabins and it was perfect.

Carnival does have bigger cabins, but in some cases, it's not very noticeable. The Triumph's inside cabins are listed at 185 sq.ft, but they are actually around 170. Carnival has skewed their room size statistics on their bigger ships. Other cruiselines' insides seem to be around 160, so it's about 10 more with Carnival. We did 5 in a room that was truly 185 sq.ft, and it was very tight. I wouldn't want to do that again, especially in a smaller room. If it's the only way I can afford to cruise, I'd do it. But I would try my best to find a way to afford 2 cabins.

Like another poster mentioned, you could look at getting an oceanview room for 5. That will give you 220 sq.ft, 50 more than an inside. Compare that price to 2 insides. I also second the option of using the gym showers. Those are individual stalls, and they are larger than your room's shower.

My parents take my two kids, actually early teens now, on a cruise every summer. Last year they did Carnival and it was actually cheaper to book two inside cabins with two per room, than one inside cabin for four. Call the PVP and see which option is cheaper, it might surprise you.

My kids were younger than yours, but mine are all GIRLS (more time to get ready, more clothes, etc). There is plenty of storage space. Plan your showers ahead and maybe some could use spa (we never did). Be careful wtih those cords...i had my straighter on and my dryer on and it blew the fuse! My daughter was next door doing the same and hers blew at the same time. I too would save the money. The cruise in Jan, we did get 2 inside cabins and it was only about $100 more. Other times we have cruised it would have been like $500 more and I was not going to spend that. We were only in the cabin to dress and sleep

Have a great time!

Have done 4 and 5. Both are doable but tight. With 5 in the day time the room is fine. Couch is made top bunk is raised and trundle slides under the bed out of the way. If you have to get up to pee at night or if you try and order room service early for breakfast it gets tricky. Last time we did 5 my 2 sons and I took showers at the spa while the girls got dressed for dinner.

Thanks everyone! Good thing I decided to check back with this thread. I signed up for email notice..HA! Got only one.

Now we are playing the waiting game. A/F is OUTRAGEOUS right now. I have been watching it, best I can hope for is $350 pp...today its over $1100 :eek: But I will be ready to pounce if it comes together. If it doesn't happen we will live...I think lol

All the input was very helpful. I think its doable, as long as we have some great shore excursions to look forward to ;)

Maybe you could get 2 inside cabins... one for you and your hubby and then one for the kids.

At this point we will have to wait on the airfare prices to settle. So far I get decent prices looking a week or two out. But the actual dates are crazy. And I'm guessing that two cabin will be quite a bit more. They reduce the 3rd, 4th and 5th passenger prices so it will tac on a few hundred more $ if we do 2 cabins.

we had 5 adult women in our oceanview cabin in the imagination last yr for my bachelorette party cruise and we had no issues whatsoever, everyone slept comfortable. we would start getting ready for dinner 2 hours prior so everyone had a chance to shower and get ready.

we saved a lot of money by booking only one room :)

Archived