tipping the shuttle driver

4spring

If you park & then take a shuttle to the port, what do you usually tip the driver? Is it so much per bag (like you would the porter?)

Also while I'm asking, if someone in the debarkation area takes a family member by wheelchair to a better place in line & possibly even onto the ship, what would you usually tip them. Had that happen once, since my mom is elderly & uses a cane. Forgot what we gave them.

If the shuttle driver helps load and unload your bags he'd rate $3-5 if it won't break your budget. Wheelchair assistance should be even more appreciated although I'd base the tip on the distance travelled. Tipping is strictly personal preference and is a token of your appreciation.

Has anyone else noticed that when you do tip the shuttle driver, porter or excursion person, they never look at it. They just stick it in their pocket and thank you. I'm not saying that because they don't look at it, you shouldn't give them what they deserve. It's just that I noticed that they never look at it.

always try to tip 3 or 5 bucks.. Just dont make the same mistake i did on our 1st cruise nobody warned me about the porters at miami begging for tips.. When The shuttle driver dropped us off The porter who took my bags said "take care of me now and ill take care of your bags." I asked what.. He held out his hand for money.. I didnt have any 1 5 or 10.. That porter came out with a 20... I now carry lots of small cash for tips in all ports... Because taxi shuttle tour operators will always ask for tip

I always start out with a lot of $1s as you are tipping every time you turn around - I only tip shuttle driver if he helps with the luggage, if he doesn't - too bad so sad. The taxi driver gets 15% plus extra if he loads and unload luggage. Porter usually $5 as they have always come forward right away to take luggage. I find with cruising almost a 1/4 of your budget is tips - but worth every penny.

Has anyone else noticed that when you do tip the shuttle driver, porter or excursion person, they never look at it. They just stick it in their pocket and thank you. I'm not saying that because they don't look at it, you shouldn't give them what they deserve. It's just that I noticed that they never look at it.

Any one that gets extra pay for something they already getting paid for and is a non-tip position will most likely take the money and hide it fast.

always try to tip 3 or 5 bucks.. Just dont make the same mistake i did on our 1st cruise nobody warned me about the porters at miami begging for tips.. When The shuttle driver dropped us off The porter who took my bags said "take care of me now and ill take care of your bags." I asked what.. He held out his hand for money.. I didnt have any 1 5 or 10.. That porter came out with a 20... I now carry lots of small cash for tips in all ports... Because taxi shuttle tour operators will always ask for tip

AT that point, I would have asked for the supervisor. They do not get tips, they are longshoreman. Tipping is just nice, but any employee that implies your bags will be lost need to find a new job.

Are you allowed to take your own bags to your cabin or is this not the done thing?

You are only allowed to take on a carryon and must fit through the scanner. Also, you must lug it around with you until you are allowed in the cabin - usually around 1:30 or so. The cabin doors are left open while the stewards are getting them ready for next round of cruisers and they KINDLY tell you not to go to cabin before then.

Always tip $1.00 per bag at the port, airport, shuttle. I make sure before we leave I go to the bank and get $200 worth of singles. That way we never run out plus so many things require tips...like room service on the ship. Things on the island etc.

Thanks for the info - I like to be prepared & be within the same range as most people.

With the wheelchair situation, this was an actual carnival employee who was there to help people - I figured he deserved a tip but again wasn't sure how much. I guess I'll see if this happens again & then kind of gage things based on the distance, etc. This gives me an idea though.

If you park & then take a shuttle to the port, what do you usually tip the driver? Is it so much per bag (like you would the porter?)

Also while I'm asking, if someone in the debarkation area takes a family member by wheelchair to a better place in line & possibly even onto the ship, what would you usually tip them. Had that happen once, since my mom is elderly & uses a cane. Forgot what we gave them.

Many folks cheap out here and it is embarassing to see. If The driver helps at all I'll tip at least $3, $2/bag if he/she carries bags on or off ($5 min).

For personal assistance like the wheelchair $10 - 20 seems appropriate if any distance at all.

$5 min, $20 respectively. No time to be cheap, $1/bag is ancient...

Ain't cheap - ain't ancient - don't have to be the big time tipper - if they don't like it give it back and will give it to someone who will appreciate it.

We generally tip $5. We usually have two larger pieces of luggage that the driver handles for us.

Now on the cruise I took with my Mom there was one shuttle driver I didn't tip at all. We stayed at the Westin Hotel, inside the Detroit airport. The shuttle took us to the terminal. I said "good morning" to him, he didn't respond. He didn't help us with our luggage putting it onto the shuttle (there were racks inside the shuttle) and he didn't help us getting the luggage off the shuttle so I didn't bother tipping him, he did nothing to deserve it. Plus I broke a wheel off my Mom's luggage as it was quite heavy to lift off the rack. :(

Ain't cheap - ain't ancient - don't have to be the big time tipper - if they don't like it give it back and will give it to someone who will appreciate it.

?:confused:

Aah, I see the initial reply was posted before I corrected it. Still don't get your point though...

?:confused:

Aah, I see the initial reply was posted before I corrected it. Still don't get your point though...

I don't get what you don't get - thought I was quite clear. Whether people give $1-$5-$10 and even $20 it is their choice - a tip is a tip. And anything above $0 is not cheap or ancient it is what they want to give.

I have always thought not looking at the tip is the polite way to receive a tip. Wouldn't it be awkward for the person to stand and stare at what you gave them. As long as they awknowlege the money with a thank you,what more is there to do?

I see, if they don't appreciate it they can give it back to you - gotchya.

I will tip a driver who is lugging my bags on and off a bus or through a busy parking lot significantly more than a hotel bellman transporting my bags on a cart to our room. I think $1/bag is rude if I allow the driver to haul my bags. Service people here (and on the islands) work for tips and everyone knows that.

I agree that tipping is a personal choice. If we prefer not to tip then we should move our own bags. If we expect to avail ourselves of their services we should be willing to tip fairly for those services. As Yvonne said if the driver or other service person doesn't lift a finger to help then no service = no tip. But if you allow them to do the work then you should tip accordingly.

I always pull up and drop off our luggage first so we don't have to mess with it on a small bus with people trying to get in and out. I always give the porter $10.00 for our 4-6 bags. The bus driver I usually give $3.00 or so for the lift, because we carry a carry on bag, beach bad and backpack ourselves he/she is only a driver at that point.

Yes good point, the person actually doing the work may be a porter or a driver depending on the situation. The OP may have been asking about a hotel shuttle (or cruise line shuttle, not sure), but we often take transfers between airports to resorts and the driver typically does the heavy work in Mexico, for example, while at resorts in other areas the bellman takes charge, so you tip accordingly.

The vast majority of service people we've met work hard to help make our trips easier and tips are their primary source of income. Having worked in a service industry when younger I do tire of seeing people taking advantage of drivers and others. Even a thankyou is better than nothing!

I have always thought not looking at the tip is the polite way to receive a tip. Wouldn't it be awkward for the person to stand and stare at what you gave them. As long as they awknowlege the money with a thank you,what more is there to do?

I didn't say "stand and stare". I merely pointed out that you could slip them a piece of newspaper and they'd never know it.

If I tip someone more than the norm because I thought they deserved more, I'd at least like to see that they know it who it came from. As far as I know, there are no "rules" for accepting a tip. I just find it odd that they never look at it.

Archived