Which cruise line is more upscale - AMA, Avalon or Viking?

Janiekins

I would like to take my husband on a Danube River cruise next year to celebrate his 60th birthday.

I am leaning toward AMA, Avalon and Viking. Can you please tell me which of thsese cruise lines offers the most upscale amenities and has the nicest boats?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

The highlights of my trip would be to see Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

So far AMA Waterways seems to offer the best itinerary. We would stay 3 nights in Prague in a hotel than cruise stopping in Vienna and other destinations and ending in Budapest.

Has anyone travelled with AMA? Do you know of any other cruise lines who offer this itinerary for 2013?

Thank you so much for your help.

We did AMA in reverse - Budapest to Prague - and it was a great trip. If you want more information, I suggest you visit http://www.thepriesmans.com - as Mike has an amazing day-by-day picture/blog about his AMA cruise on his website.

Both Prague and Budapest are worth spending the extra time... But - be warned - you cannot see everything in a couple of days, and I am sure you will leave both cities wanting to go back!!!

I believe Avalon does a similar itinerary - with days in both Budapest and Prague.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

They were just voted the #1 and #3 out of all cruise ships (Not just river), in the world. They are truly unique ships and staterooms, nothing cookie cutter.

Do you mind sharing where you found that information? I thought I saw a similar list somewhere and I'd like to see which ships were highly ranked. From our experience each cruiseline has their "star" ships and those that do not rank highly at all with reviewers. That can make all the difference in the world when cruising with a specific line.

Janiekins,

I think you have actually asked a question that is very difficult to answer. I have travelled on Avalon, Uniworld, AMAwaterways, and Viking and seen much of what there is to offer along the rivers of Europe. River cruising is growing in popularity and all these lines are continually adding new ships. Each new ship seems to be nicer than the last one and have more amenities. (This also comes with higher cruise fares.) So, each line seems to have a range of ships that vary a good bit. All of the ships, however, are nice.

I have found that it is actually quite hard to know in advance how things will go. The cruise manager on a ship can make a big difference, and you do not who this is going to be. Chefs also vary. For example, on one Uniworld cruise I had the most beautifully presented food I have ever had. It was bland. On another Uniworld cruise in France, the ship was not quite as nice, but the food was the best I have ever had. And the chef wasn't even French! Your fellow travelers also can make a big differenece. Sometimes you meet a group of people more to your liking than you meet on other trips.

Personally, I focus on what I want to see and when I want to travel. Then, I pick the line, looking at what is available and the price. In the final anaysis, what I really remember the most is what I have seen. One thing I have not done, but which I might suggest, is to look into the hotels if they are included before or after the cruise. They can vary as to quality and location. For example, I once spent a few days in Prague (great city) before a Viking cruise. The hotel was not in the best location for just walking around. On the other hand, I stayed in Budapest (another great city) after an Avalon cruise, and the hotel was not quite as nice but it was in an excellent location.

For me, the much better location trumped the slightly nicer hotel.

One final comment. I am fortunate in that I have always had flexibility as to when I can travel. There are often some river cruise deals with great prices. I try to take advantage of them when I can if they go somewhere I would like to go. By saving money, I can afford to travel more often and see more of the world.

Do you mind sharing where you found that information? I thought I saw a similar list somewhere and I'd like to see which ships were highly ranked. From our experience each cruiseline has their "star" ships and those that do not rank highly at all with reviewers. That can make all the difference in the world when cruising with a specific line.

Hi Sippican,

I should have also been more specific, they were award by Conde Nast Traveler. Which, like all ratings, should be taken with a grain of salt. But they have consistently been on the list and this year ranked very high, with lots of top spots. Their website has links to it:

http://www.uniworld.com/why-uniworld/company-awards

Also, being a foodie, I know that Uniworld is the only river cruise line that is Zagat rated.

Am looking forward to my first cruise on them in 4 weeks. Will let you know how it is.

Hi Sippican,

I should have also been more specific, they were award by Conde Nast Traveler. Which, like all ratings, should be taken with a grain of salt. But they have consistently been on the list and this year ranked very high, with lots of top spots. Their website has links to it:

http://www.uniworld.com/why-uniworld/company-awards

Also, being a foodie, I know that Uniworld is the only river cruise line that is Zagat rated.

Am looking forward to my first cruise on them in 4 weeks. Will let you know how it is.

Thanks, I do think that is where I saw it. I have been impressed with the comments I've read about Uniworld. I usually choose location and itinerary first, then look at the lines that have those itineraries. Being new to river cruising, the choices are a bit overwhelming.

They were just voted the #1 and #3 out of all cruise ships (Not just river), in the world.

Maybe because more people take them than other cruise lines does not make them better

I take all polls with a giant box of salt ;)

after much searching,,,have been on Avalon,Uniworld,Viking,Gate 1..and really didnt see much difference in quality,,just boats and each country.Food and service was good,,not GREAT..cabins fine and very similar.So I wanted to try AMA and one of the new boats with more restaurants and 2 balconies,,,asked on Regent board(Luxury line I like) and a few mentioned AMA as being similar to it...so booked May 27 Prague to BUdapest on the new AMAcerto.Hope it lives up to my expectations.Will post review when I return.

Know Tauck,Scenic,,etc. get good reviews but DIDNT want all inclusive,,tours,etc...since we go on our own much of the time and didnt want to pay for extras we wont use.But,,many to chose from,,,good luck.

.so booked May 27 Prague to BUdapest on the new AMAcerto.Hope it lives up to my expectations.Will post review when I return.

Know Tauck,Scenic,,etc. get good reviews but DIDNT want all inclusive,,tours,etc...since we go on our own much of the time and didnt want to pay for extras we wont use.But,,many to chose from,,,good luck.

We also do not pay for all inclusive as we are independent travelers and the inclusions from Tauck would be a waste of money.

We are also on the AmaCerto BUD to PRG for the markets this winter. Having cruised several times with Avalon and last November with AMA, we were thrilled with our AMA experience. Overall, the attention to detail and overall quality was excellent and for us, the devil is in the details.

Don't all the lines provide excursions while on the ship? Are you talking about the pre- and post-cruise extensions, or what?

I too am confused :confused:

When i researched the different lines they included tours

Some lines charge extra for optional tours that a couple of lines included at no charge

I know there was a line that catered to the European market that does not include tours at all but not many here are comparing those

Lyn

The optional trips are just that--optional. On our 15 river cruises, we have taken maybe 4. What is optional on some lines is incleded on others. Yes Tauck is all inclusive, but if you have any streak of wanting to do things on your own it may not be for you.

We have done things on our own during free time that others have done as optional. Public transport in Europe is wonderful and easy to use.

Yes, the tipping seems out of line, but when you see how hard the small crew works, they are worth it. On many lines th CD is an independent contractor, so your tips are his salary. Sometimes that makes for a better CD. They are not at all like the ones on ocean liners. They have so many more respomsibilities.

We have travelled on AMAwaterways and thought it was a very detail oriented line. Felt the same way about Unoworld and Vantage--not so with Viking. There is only one way you will be happy with your trip and that is research. Pat

to see EXACTLY what is covered,,,most,if not all,will have included city tours,,museums,,etc...then they have "optional" which are extra..on the all inclusive ones these "optional" are inc..ie,,you are charged for them in increase price of cruise..so if not interested why pay more for something you wont use,

Tips,,can give what YOU like,,

Drinks,,etc..most inc. free wine with dinner,lunch.

For instance,,on a Tauck (or other all inclusive one) cruise, a tour in Vienna for concert is INCLUDED,,where on others it would be OPTIONAL..and if not for you,,no sense paying in advance,,,as you know,,nothing is "FREE".

Hope that clears it up...;)

Thanks, yes I now see what you mean. I'd seen the optional trips listed on the websites, but hadn't really noticed that Tauck didn't have any.

I'd like the concert in Vienna, as long as it wasn't opera! :p

was checking Tauck website and found video,,inc. Vienna concert,,and there it was OPERA,,,funny,,because I m one of the FEW,,,that LIKE it.But my DH does NOT,,so guess I d go with group or not at all. Since I prefer to DIY,,not follow the group(even with fast walkers) will skip it.I always buy a guidebook,check ea.city for tourist site,and even take HOHO buses.

Remember,,,depends on ea .port,,so take bus to city center is needed.For instance,,in Russia we took bus for 20 mins.to get there.France,,,mostly small towns and docked in city center..So it varies...let us know what you finally decide.:)

Having been to the Tauck Vienna concert it is definitely NOT opera. It is some operetta, some Strauss waltzes and some Viennese songs, nothing except easy and enjoyable music. In addition to the music the setting and the food make this a truly unforgettable evening.:D

Archived