Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:00 AM.
Harpenden, UK
14,794 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
I heard a little earlier about this, but just posted on Azamara's Facebook page:

On Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in the engine room. The fire was contained to the engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain initially mustered all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on generator power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Sandakan (Sabah), Malaysia; Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa (Bali), Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

Phil
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere......."
Boca Raton, FL
18,843 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Thanks for the alert Phil. Thankfully, there are no reports of injuries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Please follow me on Twitter @HostAndy

Harpenden, UK
14,794 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Should have added it says no injuries to guests. Hope all the crew are safe too

Phil
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere......."
shasta, ca
1,642 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Hello Azamara Followers -

We have just posted this official statement about an engine room fire on the Azamara Quest:

On Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in the engine room. The fire was contained to the engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain initially mustered all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on generator power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Sandakan (Sabah), Malaysia; Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa (Bali), Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

When I receive official updated information from Azamara's Miami headquarters, I will post that information on this thread.

I'm sure we're all pleased to learn there were no guest injuries reported, and the atmosphere aboard is calm.

Bill Leiber
Boston, MA
1,075 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Bill Leiber

We have just posted this official statement about an engine room fire on the Azamara Quest:

When I receive official updated information from Azamara's Miami headquarters, I will post that information on this thread.

I'm sure we're all pleased to learn there were no guest injuries reported, and the atmosphere aboard is calm.

Bill Leiber
Hi Bill, trying to confirm a couple facts. What does 8:19 ship's time equate to in EDT? Also, the next port of call is Sandakan, Malaysia?

Dan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan Askin
Senior Editor

Click to Play!

UK
2,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I am so glad no-one was injured.

I am also confident that the situation would have been handled in the calm and professional manner that gives us all such confidence in the Officers and Crew onboard Azamara ships.
Boca Raton, FL
18,843 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by Dan Askin
Hi Bill, trying to confirm a couple facts. What does 8:19 ship's time equate to in EDT? Also, the next port of call is Sandakan, Malaysia?

Dan
Hi Dan,

According to Azamara's 2012 Destination Guide (Copy in Hand), Friday and Saturday were scheduled Sea Days. The next scheduled port is Balikpapan, Borneo, Indonesia on Sunday.

Of course, this might be dated information, as the Guide is several months old.

I hope this helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Edinburgh
11,412 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
So glad all are safe. Must have been a scary time but bless the Azamara crew for handling this
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
536 days onboard Celebrity and Azamara 2000-2017 and 102 more days booked plus one river cruise
Washington State, USA
1,797 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by nonrev1
Was this cruise the President's cruise?
It was the President's cruise, but he had to cancel at the last minute, so was not on board, last I read, which was on the roll call for that sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
shasta, ca
1,642 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Dan Askin

Dan
Hello Dan -

In the future, if you're seeking additional information about this situation, please contact Cynthia Martinez who is the point person for media/press inquires.

Cynthia Martinez
Director, Global Corporate Communications
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Phone: 305-982-2458
E-mail: [email protected]

Regards,

Bill Leiber
UK
2,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Me too.....but I don't think there has been any significant damage has there?

I think the ship is on emergency generator power but it seems to be carrying on with the cruise OK.
Hopefully we will have no problems with our cruise on April 12th.....I don't think I could cope with anything else going wrong after all the trouble we are having with the "will they....won't they" cancel our Nov 7th Canaries cruise!
shasta, ca
1,642 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by SMNYCruise
When should we expect another update? We are on the next Quest cruise departing Singapore on April 12th.
Hello SMNY and other future Quest guests -

Currently, the Azamara executive team along with the marine and technical experts at Royal Caribbean's corporate offices are engaged in assessing the damage caused by the engine room's fire. Once determined, we'll be able to advise you and others on the schedule for future voyages.

I appreciate your concern, but at this time I have nothing specific to report, but when I'm able to share the final approved information, I will do so. My estimated guess is in about 24 - 48 hours. (Note: There's nothing official about my GUESS.)

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber
shasta, ca
1,642 Posts
Joined Aug 2010

I'm very pleased to update you on the progress aboard the Azamara Quests.

You can be sure, I'll keep you posted:

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Azamara Club Cruises Statement
March 30, 2012, 6:00 p.m. E.S.T.

Engineers onboard Azamara Quest have restored power to one of the ship’s engines. This additional power has permitted the ship to reestablish air conditioning, running water, plumbing, refrigeration and food preparation onboard for the comfort of our guests and crew. While the ship does not have propulsion capabilities at this time, it is in the process of being repaired.

As you may be aware, on Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in one of ship’s engine rooms. The fire was contained to that engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain deemed it necessary to muster all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on emergency power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is still located 200 miles off the coast of Balikpapan (Borneo), Indonesia, in calm seas.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Balikpapan (Borneo), Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa Bali, Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

Azamara Club Cruises will continue to closely monitor the situation onboard Azamara Quest and will update this information again at 9:00 p.m. E.S.T.
# # #
Boca Raton, FL
18,843 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Thanks for the updates Bill. Much appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,110 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Very sorry to hear this. Hope they are able to get everything back up and running soon. We had a small electrical fire on a TA on Journey once and it was quickly put out, but it was scary to think about.

Wonder who the Captain is for Quest now?
Best wishes for all aboard.
Redmond, Washington, USA
8,034 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by takemewithyou
Wonder who the Captain is for Quest now?.
Is Captain Smith still onboard? Would love to know. We love the Quest!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
See our latest travel pics and reviews at http://www.jkbellomo.com

Cruises on the horizon
9/18 Around Puget Sound on Explorer of the Seas for Seth's Birthday
10/18 New England and Canada on Summit
6/19 From Dublin to Iceland and back again on Reflection

Cruises Behind Us
  1. 8/2000 Alaska on HAL (old Westerdam)
  2. 3/2002 Mexico on Carnival (the cruise from and to hell)
  3. 11/2004 Panama Canal on Infinity (We fall in love with X)
  4. 9/2005 Pacific Northwest on Infinity t(Martini Mates Forever!)
  5. 2/2006 Eastern Caribbean on Infinity
  6. 6/2006 Pacific Coastal on Infinity
  7. 10/2006 Exotic Mediterranean & the Black Sea on Galaxy
  8. 8/2007 North to Alaska with the Martini Mates on Infinity! (Are we on a Carnival cruise?)
  9. 10/2007 Western Mediterranean on Century
  10. 8/2008 Alaska again...on Infinity...again (We can't help ourselves)
  11. 10/2008 Oosterdam to Mexican Riviera
  12. 03/2009 Eastern Caribbean on Celebrity Solstice with the Mates!
  13. 10/09 Pacific NW on Mercury (Close to home and fun)
  14. 2/10 Azamara Quest to SE Asia (Amazing trip! Amazing ship!)
  15. 05/11 Zaandam around the Sound from Vancouver
  16. 09/11 Century to Alaska (Back we go again)
  17. 01/12 Century Down Under from Auckland to Sydney
  18. 11/12 Century to Hawaii with the original Martini Mates (It's not a race. Too much Century)
  19. 06/13 The Baltic on Eclipse with a SUPER Cruise Critic roll call!
  20. 11/14 The Panama Canal 10 years later (to the day) with the Martini Mates on Infinity (same ship in the same cabin)
  21. 8/16 British Isles on Celebrity Silhouette
  22. 6/17 Martini Mates return to Alaska one more time on Solstice
  23. 4/18 Another trip to Alaska, this time on HAL's Westerdam-our first FAM
Florida
1,448 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I have several friends onboard and they said the Captain is Leif Karlson ( please pardon my spelling if it is incorrect)

Lauri
4,110 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by nonrev1
I have several friends onboard and they said the Captain is Leif Karlson ( please pardon my spelling if it is incorrect)

Lauri
Thank you. Hope your friends are doing OK.