Carnival to raise steakhouse price

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:51 AM.
#1
Michigan
175 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Hi there!

We’re sure you are looking forward to your cruise. So, we thought we’d take a moment to provide you some information regarding our Steakhouses.

The cover charge at our Steakhouses will increase to $35.00 per person with voyages departing August 1, 2012, and onward. We do have your confirmed dinner reservation, and look forward to serving you on board !

While decisions like these are never easy, we hope you will understand that this increase is necessary in order to offset higher food costs. Our steakhouses continue to offer exceptional cuisine in elegant and memorable surroundings and remain an outstanding value.

We thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you aboard and the opportunity to provide a FUN and memorable cruise experience.

Sincerely,




Vicky Rey, CTC
Vice President - Guest Services
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08-21-2012 Carnival Spirit
08-25-2013 Carnival
#2
18,715 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by ilovemom
Hi there!

We’re sure you are looking forward to your cruise. So, we thought we’d take a moment to provide you some information regarding our Steakhouses.

The cover charge at our Steakhouses will increase to $35.00 per person with voyages departing August 1, 2012, and onward. We do have your confirmed dinner reservation, and look forward to serving you on board !

While decisions like these are never easy, we hope you will understand that this increase is necessary in order to offset higher food costs. Our steakhouses continue to offer exceptional cuisine in elegant and memorable surroundings and remain an outstanding value.

We thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you aboard and the opportunity to provide a FUN and memorable cruise experience.

Sincerely,




Vicky Rey, CTC
Vice President - Guest Services
This is old news.
#4
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Yes, old news but to me GOOD news!
I dislike rising costs as much as the next guy, but I hate CUTS even more. It's about darn time CCL raised their price on something so that nothing (hopefully) had to be cut. At the rate they are going (not with scissors but with a huge AXE) I just don't know what's going to be left.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#5
Lilburn, GA
1,502 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by halos
Yes, old news but to me GOOD news!
I dislike rising costs as much as the next guy, but I hate CUTS even more. It's about darn time CCL raised their price on something so that nothing (hopefully) had to be cut. At the rate they are going (not with scissors but with a huge AXE) I just don't know what's going to be left.
Unbelievable! A new and different and great attitude! It is nice to see someone find the good in something here. I have to agree with your assessment. It is better to have to pay a bit more than to lose something all together!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


10/17/2015 - Carnival Conquest
10/20/2013 - Carnival Conquest
10/15/2011 - Carnival Fascination
#6
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by TerReuv
Unbelievable! A new and different and great attitude! It is nice to see someone find the good in something here. I have to agree with your assessment. It is better to have to pay a bit more than to lose something all together!
The way to look at it is this: (because you wouldn'tlose it altogether)
Do you want to pay $5 more ($35) to keep the food/service the same quality (which already has been cut some since the Supper Clubs first appeared on CCL)
OR do you want to keep paying $30 and get service that isn't as efficient/good and food of lesser quality??

I don't want to pay $30 for 'crap'. I'd rather pay $35 and get something good.
makes sense, right?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#7
M.S. EARTH
10,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by halos
Yes, old news but to me GOOD news!
I dislike rising costs as much as the next guy, but I hate CUTS even more. It's about darn time CCL raised their price on something so that nothing (hopefully) had to be cut. At the rate they are going (not with scissors but with a huge AXE) I just don't know what's going to be left.
i would have also been happy if they raised the price, yet kept the same level if food quality and service. and I've been seeing the opposite reported, that service is down, rudeness has appeared, and they have lowered the quality of foods, and eliminated what i thought was the most popular item in what they needed to call, the "steakhouse".

it really disturbs me when i read some, and not all it seem, sh's are serving two smaller tails instead of one larger, some people claiming that they are better in the mdr, and you can have as many as you want.

and yes, op, old news, but missing that some have been grandfathered at the old price.
#8
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by H82seaUgo
i would have also been happy if they raised the price, yet kept the same level if food quality and service. and I've been seeing the opposite reported, that service is down, rudeness has appeared, and they have lowered the quality of foods, and eliminated what i thought was the most popular item in what they needed to call, the "steakhouse".

it really disturbs me when i read some, and not all it seem, sh's are serving two smaller tails instead of one larger, some people claiming that they are better in the mdr, and you can have as many as you want.

and yes, op, old news, but missing that some have been grandfathered at the old price.
I can say that it is an absolute TRUTH that the food/service in the SH is NOT what it once was...
But to see it decline even more would have been horrendous.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#10
29,344 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by halos
The way to look at it is this: (because you wouldn'tlose it altogether)
Do you want to pay $5 more ($35) to keep the food/service the same quality (which already has been cut some since the Supper Clubs first appeared on CCL)
OR do you want to keep paying $30 and get service that isn't as efficient/good and food of lesser quality??

I don't want to pay $30 for 'crap'. I'd rather pay $35 and get something good.
makes sense, right?
In April on the Glory service was awful in the supper club and steaks were not what we had in the past.

3 plus hours for dinner and never saw waiter after entres were delivered or we would have had the privelege of waiting for several new steaks.

Hopefully that was a one time thing.
#11
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by KroozLov'r
When did this come about? I have heard nothing about this, and I'm on these boards every day!
Last week??? It likely got lost in all the fuss over the loyalty program
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#12
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by golfadj
In April on the Glory service was awful in the supper club and steaks were not what we had in the past.

3 plus hours for dinner and never saw waiter after entres were delivered or we would have had the privelege of waiting for several new steaks.

Hopefully that was a one time thing.
Our last experience in the SH wasn't bad...but it didn't knock my socks off like it used to.
We had a table of 14 people so dinner did take 3 hours but that is understandable and long meals do not bother me...I prefer them as I hate feeling rushed.
The food however was a little disappointing. It was still worth paying extra for (comparing to the mdr) but nothing CCL offers now will compare to my first 'surcharge' dining experience on CCL's Supper Club.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#13
North Shore of Minnesota
1,070 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I suppose those that take advantage of the "pay for dining" meals won't balk at 5 bucks more. We eat out about twice a month and even here in tourist country I'd be hardpressed to fine a meal at the cost of 35.00 a plate ( just my region I understand, as opposed to the coasts). We figure every meal on a cruise is dining out and wouldn't even consider having to pay for a meal, though in Port we pay for several meals to try local cuisine.

I will say on my last cruise aboard the Legend in January, every night we passed the Steakhouse and 90% of the time saw very very few people. I wonder if they raised the price because with tight times less folks are willing to drop 30 bucks on a meal?

I also doubt 5 bucks more will guarantee better service and better food, the 5 is just keepin g up with added inflation I guess?

Still, to those who dine there, keep it up, it may keep cruise prices lower for those of us who don't splurge more after splurging for a cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean- Rhapsody of the Sea-2003
Carnival- Paradise- 2011
Carnival- Legend-2012
#14
Lilburn, GA
1,502 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by askimdog
I suppose those that take advantage of the "pay for dining" meals won't balk at 5 bucks more. We eat out about twice a month and even here in tourist country I'd be hardpressed to fine a meal at the cost of 35.00 a plate ( just my region I understand, as opposed to the coasts). We figure every meal on a cruise is dining out and wouldn't even consider having to pay for a meal, though in Port we pay for several meals to try local cuisine.

We actually eat out less than that regularly unless we have a gift card to use. But this is vacation and while I might balk at that at home, I will probably make a reservation there when we cruise next fall.

I will say on my last cruise aboard the Legend in January, every night we passed the Steakhouse and 90% of the time saw very very few people. I wonder if they raised the price because with tight times less folks are willing to drop 30 bucks on a meal?

Sorry, but this does not even make sense? If folks are less willing to drop $30 on a meal, why would they drop $35?

I also doubt 5 bucks more will guarantee better service and better food, the 5 is just keepin g up with added inflation I guess?

Still, to those who dine there, keep it up, it may keep cruise prices lower for those of us who don't splurge more after splurging for a cruise
As I said, we will probably try out the steakhouse on the Conquest when we cruise again next fall. It sounds good for the most part and it would be a nice change. After all, as I said above - it is vacation!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


10/17/2015 - Carnival Conquest
10/20/2013 - Carnival Conquest
10/15/2011 - Carnival Fascination
#15
North Carolina
25,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by askimdog
I also doubt 5 bucks more will guarantee better service and better food, the 5 is just keepin g up with added inflation I guess?

Still, to those who dine there, keep it up, it may keep cruise prices lower for those of us who don't splurge more after splurging for a cruise
1) I agree. $5 more ill not make anything better. BUT it may keep it from getting worse...which at this point in the direction CCL is going with the cuts, is a good thing.

2) I don't think what people pay for the Steak House does anything for your basic cruise rate. AND if the CCL cruisers who do (as you say) 'splurge' all wind up splurging on other lines and what is left on CCL are the people who don't splurge (like yourself) then that's a real conundrum isn't it?? Because then no one will be eating in the steak house.

It may already be an issue...we EASILY got a table for 14 people on two nights at the time we wanted with no problem and the place had very little people in it on both nights.

I have never eaten in the steak house with it full....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#16
M.S. EARTH
10,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by askimdog
I suppose those that take advantage of the "pay for dining" meals won't balk at 5 bucks more. We eat out about twice a month and even here in tourist country I'd be hardpressed to fine a meal at the cost of 35.00 a plate ( just my region I understand, as opposed to the coasts). We figure every meal on a cruise is dining out and wouldn't even consider having to pay for a meal, though in Port we pay for several meals to try local cuisine.

I will say on my last cruise aboard the Legend in January, every night we passed the Steakhouse and 90% of the time saw very very few people. I wonder if they raised the price because with tight times less folks are willing to drop 30 bucks on a meal?

I also doubt 5 bucks more will guarantee better service and better food, the 5 is just keepin g up with added inflation I guess?
actually, it's $35 on top of the paid uneaten meal and tip in the mdr.
#17
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,670 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by TerReuv
As I said, we will probably try out the steakhouse on the Conquest when we cruise again next fall. It sounds good for the most part and it would be a nice change. After all, as I said above - it is vacation!
You said "Sorry, but this does not even make sense? If folks are less willing to drop $30 on a meal, why would they drop $35? ", I believe askmidog was saying they had to raise the price to make up for the revenue lost from people not booking the steakhouse because of tight times.

Okay, so here's a question to the experienced cruisers- would you recommend the steakhouse to a new CCL cruiser and say that it is definitely worth $35 pp?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
#18
M.S. EARTH
10,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by halos
1)

It may already be an issue...we EASILY got a table for 14 people on two nights at the time we wanted with no problem and the place had very little people in it on both nights.

I have never eaten in the steak house with it full....
we are early eaters, but we have never seen more than 4 or 5 other tables being used, and some are ships staff.

most interesting is how much less space they are designanting on their new ships. i supposed the current carnival cruiser doesn't appreciate these establishments.
#19
Nashville, TN
867 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
[quote=Okay, so here's a question to the experienced cruisers- would you recommend the steakhouse to a new CCL cruiser and say that it is definitely worth $35 pp?[/QUOTE]

I personally would (and do) recommend it. My husband and son arent happy they took away the 24 oz porterhouse. I agree the service did seem different each time we went. $5 isn't much of an increase. Heck our local VFW just raised their monthly steak fry from $10 to $15. We enjoyed the experience of the Chef's table more so we might skip the Steakhouse all together.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email:[email protected]


Carnival Triumph ---November 2003
Carnival Fascination ---August 2008
Carnival Imagination ---May 2009
Carnival Legend--Honeymoon cruise---July 2009
Carnival Valor---July 2010
Carnival Freedom--- July 2011
Carnival Imagination--- August 2012
Carnival Breeze--- July 2013
Carnival Conquest--- June 2015
Norwegian Sky -- September 2016
#20
Newburgh, Maine
650 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
My first thought when I got that email was "What the heck?!", but then the more I thought about it, no big deal. It's only $10 more, and this will be our anniversary dinner (which we usually spend about $120 for at home), so I'm okay with the increase.
Hopefully we have a good experience here!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature