Miami Food

armywifefisher

Ok so we have all these post about hotels and where to stay , but what about were to eat?

Were is the best place by far you have eaten in Miami (feel free to list more than one), please tell general location, average price pp, type of food. :D

Hard to make recommendations without knowing location, price range, cuisine, ect. there are 1000s of restaurants here.

We do have have a fantastic local show called "Check Please!" Its hosted by renowned chef Michelle Bernstein. These resturants are local places. Pretty much they pick three 'normal' people to be a food critic for a day. Check it out you can see the episodes online:

Google search this: check please michelle bernstein

It should be the first link.

True I should have put I really not looking for a price range. No Itailian as i am picky on it. Not a seaford/fish fan, but I do like crab, but most seafoard places have steak. who doesn't like a good steak!! Not looking for certain location, taxi's are always available.

This cruise it is just me and DH so looking for a nice place we can enjoy. Do not care if it is 5* or local hanbuger joint as long as it is good, and not a chain.

Just looking for what people has enjoyed to get my research started as they are I am sure thousands of restrants. Looking for someone to say everytime I go to Miami i have to eat at _____. Like I am with Anchorage, Ak. (lived there for 3 years) by far Glacier Brew House and for beer and pizza Mooses Tooth. Would never go to Sullivan's again way over price for quality of food, my whole family hated it.

Gee, taking out seafood (including sushi and ceviche) and italian eliminates a lot. We have many excellent high-priced restaurants and steakhouses. However, I'm going out on a limb and recommending Versailles, Miami's iconic cuban restaurant on Calle Ocho in Little Havana.

-Not the most delicate or innovative dishes, but a very broad variety of reasonably well-prepared entrees. Something for everyone, all with a cuban flavor.

-Very reasonably priced.

-Large, busy and bustling, but always seems to have additional room and prompt seating.

-Reasonable taxi ride from both the airport area and downtown hotels.

-Which tables have the cuban and FBI agents watching each other?

-You probably won't find anything like it near your home.

Okay so what you want is an Iconic list. This one is mine, everyone is welcome to flame me on it its my personal list. If I had to pick a handful of places I would choose:

Versailles (Cuban Food)- why? Because its in every Miami travel guide, its Cuban food. But quite frankly the local chains La Carreta and Latin America offer more or less the same fare about $10 per person at all locations. Also if there isn't a man whose sole job is to refill your water and bread at your resturant then its not a true Cuban place.

Gracia's or Casablanca (seafood)- why? Because seafood IS Miami. Don't you dare order a chicken or steak, it will suck. These are seafood places, both places are on the Miami River, if you go early you can catch the fisherman unloading the days catch...it doesn't get fresher than that. Figure $15pp

Joe's Stone Crab (self explanatory)- why? Again, its in every travel guide. Again you can stone crab cheaper elsewhere (all stone crab are the same [PERIOD] but they get the nod for outstanding if not offstandish table service. Figure $30pp

Filling Station Garage Bar (burgers)- why? Its a pain to find, harder to park, and its ugly inside. BUT some of the tastiest burgers ever and tater tots to die for. Anyplace willing to offer a peanut butter burger (and make it delish) gets a nod from me. They have a knack for having the best micro brews you never heard of; but will.

Must have a drink at - Rusty Pelican. I hate the food, but this place owns the best view in town.

News Cafe (continental)- why? Again...you just have to, and even though I find the food to be good at best, its so iconic, everyone in town has eaten here once. Great place for breakfast.

Casola's (pizza)- why? There is something gratifying about ordering a large pizza that is big enough to sleep under. Slices are enormous. In Miami you either think the best pizza is Frankie's or Casola's. Another ugly place, but hey when you need pizza at 4am, you don't care about decor.

El Palacio De Los Jugos (Cuban) - why? simply the best deal on Cuban food in town, make sure to bring your high school Spanish skills because nobody here speaks English except maybe a patron or two.

The Knife Steakhouse - why? Because the beef and salad is unlimited, and if I am going to die of a heart attack, I would like to be here, preferably on the balcony of the Coconut Grove location, I might get lucky and fall on a peacock.

Bond Street Sushi - why? There is just something cool about having sushi in the basement of a hotel with rocking trans music, and then going to the rooftop to keep partying.

Balans (continental) - Okay this isn't the best of the list, but the bathrooms still make me giggle

Big Pink (American) - why? Order the TV dinner and reminisce about watching Howdy Doody back when you actually had to get up and change the channel.

Micheal's Genuine Food and drink. why? just order up and thank me later.

River Oyster Bar - why? C'mon now, usually 12 different kind of oysters. If slimy snot things are your thing, this is the place to go.

Michy's - why? Michele Bernstein is a local if not national legend. She has a thing for finding the freshest stuff at the market and making a menu around it. Hint- they don't serve booze here (just beer and wine) but if you smile a lot and talk to the bartender and tip well he'll let you have some of the Gin he stashes for me.

Tobacco Road - Okay I hate this one. It is though the oldest bar in Miami (Fox's in South Miami makes the same claim). And I don't care what anyone says they don't have a license numbered 000, licenses weren't serialized back then. Then again, you probably would have been a railroad worker back then and not allowed to drink here anyway.

Ok so we have all these post about hotels and where to stay , but what about were to eat?

Were is the best place by far you have eaten in Miami (feel free to list more than one), please tell general location, average price pp, type of food. :D

If you want a nice restaurant with a nice atmosphere, reasonable prices and very good food I recommend Perricones. It is Italian food but a nice variety. We've been going there for the last few years. Here is their web site.

http://www.perricones.com/

I could recommend other places as well but you said average prices so I'm going to leave it at this.

It is located near Mary Brickell Village and the area has lot of other restaurants so if you are there for more than one night you can check out the others.

Keith

Ok like the ideas so far. Ok this might seem crazy but I have never had Cuban food can you explain the tast. I love mexican as long as it is not too spicy, is it like that?

Its not spicy at all, but well seasoned. Expect many fried items. Check these guys out, they have a good bead on what to expect:

http://www.3guysfrommiami.com/food.html

I'd have to recommend Versailles. Check out their website and online menu. The biggest problem is probably just picking one thing to order as they have so many choices. Whatever you do, order the tres leches cake for dessert, too good to describe.

Ok like the ideas so far. Ok this might seem crazy but I have never had Cuban food can you explain the tast. I love mexican as long as it is not too spicy, is it like that?

Expect garlic toast, white rice, black beans, and fried plantains to be served with most Cuban meals. Some grilled chicken and meats are served topped with sauteed onions. Flavors include garlic, onion, pepper, lime, and bitter orange. Yuca in garlic sauce is my favorite side dish (it's a fibrous root vegetable) and tres leches is my favorite dessert.

Joes stone is an overated tourist trap and I think it is closed in the summer time (at least it was last time I was there in 08)

We have no interest in going here but we have lots of friends (some who live in the area) and others who are tourists who love it. And in the end, food all comes down to ones subjective opinion.

Keith

Now that is an awesome website!

Hi Royal. Try some of the recipes. The one for picadillo is almost exactly like the one I make at home and the way I make it is the way my family has done it for at least 3 generations.

Hi Royal. Try some of the recipes. The one for picadillo is almost exactly like the one I make at home and the way I make it is the way my family has done it for at least 3 generations.

It looks really easy too! I don't usually order this because I don't like olives much, but I recently acquired a taste for them in Spain. I'm always looking for low-carb recipes. Thanks!

We LOVE Shula's Steak House. Fabulous food and service (just basing it on our experiences). It is a little pricey, but we don't mind splurging on vacations. Hubby & I never get to eat out at places like this while at home due to work/school schedules, but we will eat at a Shula's whenever we can. We ate at the one in NYC back in December too and it was absolutely the best meal we had all week!

That is a great list below!!! Thank you so much for taking the time for putting that together. It will be quite helpful for me next week!

Caro

Okay so what you want is an Iconic list. This one is mine, everyone is welcome to flame me on it its my personal list. If I had to pick a handful of places I would choose:

Versailles (Cuban Food)- why? Because its in every Miami travel guide, its Cuban food. But quite frankly the local chains La Carreta and Latin America offer more or less the same fare about $10 per person at all locations. Also if there isn't a man whose sole job is to refill your water and bread at your resturant then its not a true Cuban place.

Gracia's or Casablanca (seafood)- why? Because seafood IS Miami. Don't you dare order a chicken or steak, it will suck. These are seafood places, both places are on the Miami River, if you go early you can catch the fisherman unloading the days catch...it doesn't get fresher than that. Figure $15pp

Joe's Stone Crab (self explanatory)- why? Again, its in every travel guide. Again you can stone crab cheaper elsewhere (all stone crab are the same [PERIOD] but they get the nod for outstanding if not offstandish table service. Figure $30pp

Filling Station Garage Bar (burgers)- why? Its a pain to find, harder to park, and its ugly inside. BUT some of the tastiest burgers ever and tater tots to die for. Anyplace willing to offer a peanut butter burger (and make it delish) gets a nod from me. They have a knack for having the best micro brews you never heard of; but will.

Must have a drink at - Rusty Pelican. I hate the food, but this place owns the best view in town.

News Cafe (continental)- why? Again...you just have to, and even though I find the food to be good at best, its so iconic, everyone in town has eaten here once. Great place for breakfast.

Casola's (pizza)- why? There is something gratifying about ordering a large pizza that is big enough to sleep under. Slices are enormous. In Miami you either think the best pizza is Frankie's or Casola's. Another ugly place, but hey when you need pizza at 4am, you don't care about decor.

El Palacio De Los Jugos (Cuban) - why? simply the best deal on Cuban food in town, make sure to bring your high school Spanish skills because nobody here speaks English except maybe a patron or two.

The Knife Steakhouse - why? Because the beef and salad is unlimited, and if I am going to die of a heart attack, I would like to be here, preferably on the balcony of the Coconut Grove location, I might get lucky and fall on a peacock.

Bond Street Sushi - why? There is just something cool about having sushi in the basement of a hotel with rocking trans music, and then going to the rooftop to keep partying.

Balans (continental) - Okay this isn't the best of the list, but the bathrooms still make me giggle

Big Pink (American) - why? Order the TV dinner and reminisce about watching Howdy Doody back when you actually had to get up and change the channel.

River Oyster Bar - why? C'mon now, usually 12 different kind of oysters. If slimy snot things are your thing, this is the place to go.

Michy's - why? Michele Bernstein is a local if not national legend. She has a thing for finding the freshest stuff at the market and making a menu around it. Hint- they don't serve booze here (just beer and wine) but if you smile a lot and talk to the bartender and tip well he'll let you have some of the Gin he stashes for me.

Tobacco Road - Okay I hate this one. It is though the oldest bar in Miami (Fox's in South Miami makes the same claim). And I don't care what anyone says they don't have a license numbered 000, licenses weren't serialized back then. Then again, you probably would have been a railroad worker back then and not allowed to drink here anyway.

You can't visit Miami and not try Cuban food! It is the heart and soul of Miami. I love Versailles but La Carreta is just as good. http://www.lacarreta.com/

Larios, Gloria Estefan's SOBE location and the original on Flagler is an institution. http://www.3guysfrommiami.com/larios.html

Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach is expensive but worth it -- another Miami "must" -- it is only open during stone crab season but now has a summer season until August 5th: http://www.joesstonecrab.com/

Great Miami dining synopsis -- captures overall flavor. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments. This list is not the end all be all of lists. The OP was asking for kind of iconic places, so I tried to make it a bucket list of places *I* would go to if it were my last days in Miami. Looking back, I could have added a lot more to it. But then again, I'm not getting paid to write here :cool:

Use this list as a starting point to search for more great places to eat.

Miami Dining is awesome.

I really enjoyed the food at Pollo Inka, located on 36th Street near Doral. I had their ceviche dinner, which included ceviche, a garden salad, corn nuts, and baked sweet potato. The ceviche was tender and flavorful, and the sides complimented it nicely. Like the resaurant name suggests, their signature dish is probably chicken, but I haven't tried it.

Archived