Just returned AMACerto

goleta

Returned last evening from the AmaCerto, Danube cruise, Budapest to Prague. Too tired to write much but at this time. If you have any questions, let me know and I will answer what I can. It was a great trip!

Would love to hear more as we embark on the AmaCerto August 9. What were your favorite excursions? Did you need to pay for all of the tours labeled optional like the ones to Salzburg and Cesky Krumov (I have read conflicting reports)? Did you do any of the bike tours; if so, were these strenuous? Did you enjoy those times just cruising; many sights to see?

Thank you for any more insights!

We are on this same route in 14 weeks and very excited about the boat as well as the places we will visit that are new to us.

How was the wine pairing dinner in the rear lounge? Did you try either of the wine bars?

Madison, the excursion to Salzburg is a charge. I believe it is 60E per person. Whenever the itinerary says "optional" there is a cost. The day to day on their website is quite clear about excursions.

As for "many sights to see", it depends on the river and where you are sailing. Areas like the Rhine Gorge have great scenery and the views on our Moselle and Rhine cruise last fall were often lovely. But there are also many stretches of not so scenic cruising, depending on where you are.

Caviargal: First, I have enjoyed your many posts on river cruising.Thanks! In terms of optional ours and costs, below is an excerpt from a recent review of the AmaCerto. I, too, thought these tours are extra, but I read this, and another prior review earlier in the year, that suggested it may not. I will be bringing a copy of this review to share with AMA :)

"Only three optional tours were not included in the tour price, all in Vienna. The one we went to was the obligatory Mozart/Strauss concert which was enjoyable if perhaps overrated. Other optional tours (all by coach) - a choice between a visit to the beautiful city of Salzburg, or to the picturesque Grumden Lake district or the historic UNESCO protected Czech village of Cesky Krumlov, were included at no extra cost."

We are on this same route in 14 weeks and very excited about the boat as well as the places we will visit that are new to us.

How was the wine pairing dinner in the rear lounge? Did you try either of the wine bars?

Madison, the excursion to Salzburg is a charge. I believe it is 60E per person. Whenever the itinerary says "optional" there is a cost. The day to day on their website is quite clear about excursions.

As for "many sights to see", it depends on the river and where you are sailing. Areas like the Rhine Gorge have great scenery and the views on our Moselle and Rhine cruise last fall were often lovely. But there are also many stretches of not so scenic cruising, depending on where you are.

Caviargal: First, I have enjoyed your many posts on river cruising.Thanks! In terms of optional ours and costs, below is an excerpt from a recent review of the AmaCerto. I, too, thought these tours are extra, but I read this, and another prior review earlier in the year, that suggested it may not. I will be bringing a copy of this review to share with AMA :)

"Only three optional tours were not included in the tour price, all in Vienna. The one we went to was the obligatory Mozart/Strauss concert which was enjoyable if perhaps overrated. Other optional tours (all by coach) - a choice between a visit to the beautiful city of Salzburg, or to the picturesque Grumden Lake district or the historic UNESCO protected Czech village of Cesky Krumlov, were included at no extra cost."

Per AMA, it depends on the itinerary. On Blue Danube Discovery it is extra at 70E and on Romantic Danube it is included.

Would love to hear more as we embark on the AmaCerto August 9. What were your favorite excursions? Did you need to pay for all of the tours labeled optional like the ones to Salzburg and Cesky Krumov (I have read conflicting reports)? Did you do any of the bike tours; if so, were these strenuous? Did you enjoy those times just cruising; many sights to see?

Thank you for any more insights!

Optional tours are not included and you must pay. You can't do Salzburg and Cesky Krumov as they are offered the same day. Cesky was canceled due to not having enough signed up.

The bike tours are 16-20 miles long and from what I heard, mostly flat. I had a pulled thigh muscle and walking wasn't fun for several days so didn't do a bike ride.

We cruised mostly at night. The few times we sailed during the day was nice to be out but due to the locks and low overheads, we were forced to be up front for a lot of the time. The top deck had to be lowered, railings taken down and the sunscreens lowered for some time due to low overheads. It rained as we left Budapest...........a gale, so we spent 5 minutes on top until the wind blew the umbrella inside out. We got drenched.

I enjoyed the entire trip. Not enough time in Vienna and Salzburg and that was a disappointment for me. Vienna is beautiful. I did not attend the concert in Vienna. I enjoyed the horse show in Budapest. It was a little bit long and could have been shorter but it was the day we embarked so they were keeping us out until after 3. The summer palace in Vienna was beautiful. I enjoyed the WW 11 tour in Nuremberg, a lot. I also enjoyed the Terezen tour. Well worth it!

I can be more specific if you have any more questions.

Did the dinner in rear lounge restauran. I don't drink red wine so I can't say if good or bad. I love California wine and I felt the wines did not compare but I managed to have a few whites that were not bad.

Book the day you board and figure the dates you will be in different cities so you don't have to go back to the ship and eat if you are in a port that you want to eat in a local restaurant, stay out late,

etc.

Did the dinner in rear lounge restauran. I don't drink red wine so I can't say if good or bad. I love California wine and I felt the wines did not compare but I managed to have a few whites that were not bad.

Book the day you board and figure the dates you will be in different cities so you don't have to go back to the ship and eat if you are in a port that you want to eat in a local restaurant, stay out late,

etc.

We prefer reds and European wines over CA labels and were very pleased with the choices on AMA last year so that is not a concern. We also pick up local wines in port and bring them aboard to enjoy.

We plan to do the special dinner on the night we are in Vienna as they make the main dinner early that evening due to optional concert. We are not fans of Vienna so that will be a good night for us to choose, and possibly less popular with other evenings.

<Well, we are on the Romantic Danbe next week, so sounds like some of those optional tours are not additional. Hope you are correct! > That is per AMA, not per me. Why don't you just call them and ask?

We prefer reds and European wines over CA labels and were very pleased with the choices on AMA last year so that is not a concern. We also pick up local wines in port and bring them aboard to enjoy.

We plan to do the special dinner on the night we are in Vienna as they make the main dinner early that evening due to optional concert. We are not fans of Vienna so that will be a good night for us to choose, and possibly less popular with other evenings.

<Well, we are on the Romantic Danbe next week, so sounds like some of those optional tours are not additional. Hope you are correct! > That is per AMA, not per me. Why don't you just call them and ask?

I hope you have a great time and hope your optionals are free!

Not sure how croweded the restaurant was while in Vienna as we stayed in Vienna until late evening. The food is the same as offered in the main dining room with two entree options. The room is loud if full. If I remember correctly, there were 4 tables of 4 and one for 6.

We did have a great white wine, started with a T...........I would never find it here so didn't bother to write it down. It was Hungarian wine.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lauren, we are on the same cruise.

We have booked with this gentlemen for airport pick up in Budapest:

Pulai Alajos

Web: http://budapestairporttaxi.com

Cell Phone:+36 20 574 4546

In Nuremberg, you can have the ship call a taxi the night before to take you to the Nuremberg Airport. You are only going to Europe for 7 nights?

The specialty restaurant is supposed to offer a wine pairing dinner in a more intimate setting. We look forward to trying it once aboard. The other option is the main dining room which serves a one seating dinner, generally at 7 or 7:30. We very much enjoyed the dining experience last year on AMA and are really looking forward to this new boat.

See you on board.

• 1 month later...

@caviargirl,

We are arriving Prague a day earlier than the pre-cruise in prague with AMA. We would like to secure transportation from airport to InterContinental, any suggestions? I have just used a taxi from airport to hotel previously but others want it set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We board on the 13th December AMACERTO Prague to Budapest! Cannot wait!

@caviargirl,

We are arriving Prague a day earlier than the pre-cruise in prague with AMA. We would like to secure transportation from airport to InterContinental, any suggestions? I have just used a taxi from airport to hotel previously but others want it set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We board on the 13th December AMACERTO Prague to Budapest! Cannot wait!

This is who we use in Prague:

Prague Airport Transfers s.r.o.

Komornická 1982/7

160 00 Praha 6

URL: http://http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/

e-mail: info@prague-airport-transfers.co.uk

I plan to post a Live From thread so, if you are interested, be on the lookout around the 22nd.:)

I'm so sad. I just tried to book this cruise (or any other Budapest to Prague) for October 2013 and it's already sold out! :( Now I have to decide if I want to do a spring 2014 or wait until Oct 2014. Suggestions?

How disappointing. I heard this is a very popular itinerary for AMA. The 2014 trips should be released sometime in January or February. Our group is already on a waiting list for July of 2014. Both spring and fall sound like ideal times, but, sadly, some of our fellow travelers are locked into school vacation times.

We just booked for Nov 2013, Budapest to Prague. It is advertised as a wine cruise, so I am wondering what extras will be put on. Looking forward to it.

We did an AMA wine cruise last year and it was fabulous! There is a host winery (ours was St. Francis) and their CEO and Marketing Director were aboard) and we had daily tastings, winery visits, special wine excursions in port and wine pairing dinners.

It was our best river cruise yet.

Archived