Weather expectations on Cruise crossing Atlantic (April 2013)

ELAINE1225

Just booked our first cruise. Departing Fort Lauderdale, FL early April 2013, (and yes I do realize it is 8 months away) stopping Bermuda, crossing Atlantic, ports in the Azores with final in Lisbon, Portugal and fly home. (13 day cruise). One question I have is what to plan on for the weather or temperatures during our crossing of the Atlantic. All I have been advised is to "layer". Layer what for what. I do know that Bermuda and Azores will be high 70's to low 80's.

What cruise line? You might want to post this on the board for the cruise line you're sailing on. The people on those boards will have experience sailing on the itinerary you're asking about and will have more information than those here on the luxury lines board.

Silversea is a great cruiseline. We will be doing a transatlantic in March (on Regent) and, unfortunately, the weather forecasters/meterologists seem to have difficulty predicting the weather for next week (at least where we live). The weather is dependent upon so many things. We did a transatlantic on the Silver Whisper with very smooth seas (but fog every day that kept the fog horn going). The best you can do is look at averages for that time of the year.

I agree that the suggestion of layering is rather strange. I would take something light for the rain - head covering, etc. Silversea provides umbrellas. The weather can be cool at night -- will you be out at night? If so, perhaps a sweater or shawl would help.

The reserch I have done is, for the most part, positive. There is always a chance of a storm -- but that can happen anytime. Hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks for the reply. From my research I thought Silversea would be a good cruise line. We are from Oregon so I know that being prepared is going to be the best solution. Will plan for cooler weather while crossing. Yes we will be out most evenings and I have planned to take a shawl. Since we will be staying over for a week in Portugal I will have a Warmer weather wardrobe packed if needed. Have a great trip in March.

Silversea is a very nice luxury cruise line so you picked a great cruise line to start with.

As mentioned, one cannot predict the weather and the sea conditions for this type of cruise.

I do agree with Kitty9 that layering is key.

Keith

Archived