OCD first-timer needs checklist...

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:37 PM.
New Orleans, LA
97 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi, all,

I am making my list for things to pack for my honeymoon... it's my first-time to cruise!! Does anyone know of a suggested "things-to-pack" checklist that I could use as a foundation for my own checklist (complete with two boxes... one to check when I pack to leave, one when I pack to come back)?

Thanks in advance...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Elation 5/22/15 - 10th anniversary!
Carnival Elation 10/10/13 - taking the kids!
Holiday 1/8/09 - girls' trip (w/mom and sis)
Carnival Triumph 5/17/08 - 3rd anniversary (with the in-laws!)
Carnival Glory 5/27/06 - 1st anniversary
Carnival Miracle 5/1/05 - honeymoon
Toronto, Canada
16,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103710

Try this one! It is chock full of information and tips on what to pack for your cruise....it's a long thread, but well worth the read
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

36 cruises on Royal Caribbean ships so far!
Adventure x 16 Radiance x 2 Freedom x 8 Mariner x 2 Explorer x 1 Liberty x 2 Independence x 2 Allure x 1 Anthem x 1 Oasis x 1

Diamond Plus C&A Member
phila, pa
52,329 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
http://cruiseclues.com/packinglist.htm

take your pick from the site listed above. Just know that no matter what you pack--half that stuff you wont even use.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Crown Princess 01/07 Aruba 03/4 Carnival Liberty 08/26

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Toronto, Canada
16,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by serene56
http://cruiseclues.com/packinglist.htm

take your pick from the site listed above. Just know that no matter what you pack--half that stuff you wont even use.
Serene:

You are 100% right! I packed WAAAAY too much for my February cruise ( first cruise) and wore only about 1/4 of what I brought.....I won't make that same mistake on my next cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

36 cruises on Royal Caribbean ships so far!
Adventure x 16 Radiance x 2 Freedom x 8 Mariner x 2 Explorer x 1 Liberty x 2 Independence x 2 Allure x 1 Anthem x 1 Oasis x 1

Diamond Plus C&A Member
phila, pa
52,329 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
You do learn with each cruise... first cruise we took soo much stuff. Now I got it down to one suit case and one carry on. I dont even take half the stuff I used to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Crown Princess 01/07 Aruba 03/4 Carnival Liberty 08/26

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
New Orleans, LA
97 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Thanks for the help and advice! I want to get by with one suitcase, but I'm allowing myself a little overflow since this is my honeymoon! Next time, we'll try to get it all in a carry-on...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Elation 5/22/15 - 10th anniversary!
Carnival Elation 10/10/13 - taking the kids!
Holiday 1/8/09 - girls' trip (w/mom and sis)
Carnival Triumph 5/17/08 - 3rd anniversary (with the in-laws!)
Carnival Glory 5/27/06 - 1st anniversary
Carnival Miracle 5/1/05 - honeymoon
iowa
626 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Try cruise diva...she has lots of great info!

http://***************/pack_it.htm

Have a great trip!

Oh, I guess I can't post a link, but you can just search for 'cruise diva' and then there's a page for packing tips. Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Legend 10/24/10
Legend 1/25/09
Legend 10/28/07
Inspiration 1/2/06
Miracle 11/7/04

Houma,LA
473 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I would not rely on the onboard hair dryer. It is TINY, takes forever to dry your hair and it is murder on curly hair that needs a diffuser.
JMO!
Also, I brought along a spray bottle of Downy wrinkle release and a bottle of Bounce fabric refresher
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grandeur of the Seas - Dec 2004
Mariner of the Seas -March 2006
Mariner of the Seas - Dec 2006
http://www.boxerworld.com

~~ Life just isn't complete ,
without a boxer at your feet ~~
Hudson Valley, NY
541 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
This isn't specifically for cruises, but I found it for our Disney vacation two years ago and have been using it for different trips ever since. I like the layout and format - and you can print it out fresh each trip.

http://www.mousesavers.com/UltimatePackingList.doc
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Crown 10/22/06 Bermuda, Island Princess 5/14/05 Alaska, Norwegian Dawn 2/29/04 Florida/Bahamas, Carnival Inspiration 3/9/03 W. Caribbean, Pacific Princess 9/23/01 Bermuda, Celebrity Century 10/1/99 Mediterranean
North Carolina, formerly Maryland
3,441 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Portia,
Make sure whatever you take it's on wheels. You will be so glad it is. Picking up your luggage from the port when you go home means dragging luggage a nice amount inside the building. We've done both New York and Miami and both times, we were glad our large suitcase was on wheels (it was my mom's). She gave us our own luggage on wheels for Christmas. Our carry on is on wheels and my hubby's golf club travel case is on wheels. If you have to go to an airport in order to go to your cruise, you'll be doubly glad it is all on wheels. We did our first cruise out of New York and our carry on at that time WAS NOT on wheels. What a pain in the back, literally. We bought even more on our cruise, so it was even heavier coming home.