My review of the Jewel!

#1
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
My review of our 8 night sailing on April 9, 2005 can be found (along with my other ship reviews- scroll to the bottom for Jewel) at my home page:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmccul...ise/cruise.htm

We had a great time- read all about it!!!

Cheers,
Paul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#2
buffalo ny usa
131 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Paul,great review.We were on the Jewel last summer for a 12 day Baltic cruise. I agree that the Voyager class has a lot of Wow factors but the understated elegance on the Jewel make it our favorite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
judie43
#3
Lansdowne, by way of Philly!
295 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
I love your cruise page!! I see yall fell in Love with RC and never looked back. Same here. I hope to be organized one day to do my own page.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aug 94~CARNIVALE TROPICALE~My 1st Cruise w/friends,fun!!Aruba=Beautiful,Caracas was interesting. Officially an addict(A)
Dec 97~CARNIVAL ECSTACY~ehh, 3 days is too short, onboard language barriers, heliport incident (not us),Enjoyed whirlpool and food. Mom & Sis 1st cruise. (C)
Jun 99~RCL ENCHANTMENT~Loved it. Twin nieces 1st cruise for 13th Bday, Beautiful ship. I could live in St John USVI forever (A)
Dec 02~VOYAGER OF THE SEAS~- Mom's 70th Bday!! 1st group cruise. Loved the Solarium & MY 1st balcony. (A)
Oct 05 ~EXPLORER OF THE SEAS~ - Cruise College!!!
Oct 06 ~FREEDOM OF THE SEAS~ to Celebrate Sister's 50th Bday!! - Grande Suite it is! I got my LAZY river. Thanks RC. Can't wait to try Chops & Lounge once again in Labadee.

MMM-YY-One of these days I'm going to the Mediterranean - Almafi Coast here I come!


FOS 10.15.06 Roll Call Thread



#5
West Hartford, Connecticut
5,220 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by Cruisin' Forever!
My review of our 8 night sailing on April 9, 2005 can be found (along with my other ship reviews- scroll to the bottom for Jewel) at my home page:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmccul...ise/cruise.htm

We had a great time- read all about it!!!

Cheers,
Paul
Paul
Great review - we were on the same cruise and couldn't have described it any better, including the downpour in San Juan, it got me back to the ship rapidly - you allowed me to relive the best of my seven cruises. THANKS!!!
Gerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gerry & Susan
Empress of the Seas 3/26/93
Rhapsody of the Seas 11/21/98
Voyager of the Seas 2/19/00
Explorer of the Seas 3/24/01
Radiance of the Seas 10/31/02
Brilliance of the Seas 11/22/04
Jewel of The Seas 4/9/05
Adventure Of The Seas 3/19/06
Freedom Of The Seas 3/18/07
Brilliance of the Seas 3/24/08
Liberty of the Seas 3/14 & 3/21/09 Back-to-back
Explorer of the Seas 10/10/09 Girls ONLY
Independence of the Seas 3/14/10 & 3/20/10 Back-to-back
Oasis of the Seas 3/19/11 & 3/26/11 Back-to-back
Allure of the Seas 3/11/12 & 3/18/12 Back-to-back
Explorer of the Seas 12/30/12
Oasis of the Seas 3/9/13 & 3/16/13 Back-to-back
Oasis of the Seas 7/13/13 Graduation Cruise
Independence of the Seas 3/9/14 & 3/15/14 Back-to-back
Brilliance of the Seas 10/26/14 Repo
Freedom Of The Seas 3/22/15 & 3/29/15 Back-to-back
Allure of the Seas 11/8/16 Girls Only
Allure of the Seas 3/6/16 & 3/13/16 Back-to-back
Anthem of the Seas 6/30/16 Graduation Cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12/4/16 First Celebrity cruise
Harmony of the Seas 3/11/17 & 3/18/17 Back-to-back
Radiance of the Seas 5/17/17 Aldrich Family Cruise to Alaska
Oasis of the Seas 3/4/18 & 3/11/18 Back-to-back
Harmony of the Seas 12/2/18 Girls Only
Symphony of the Seas 3/19/19 & 3/23/19 Back-to-back
Symphony of the Seas 3/14/20 & 3/21/20 Back-to-back
#7
Hudson MA
196 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Paul,

Thanks so much for your review! We are cruising on the Jewel in October of this year, this will be our first cruise with RCI. After reading your review I can hardly wait! Our first cruise was with NCL, which we thoroughly enjoyed, so my husband to be was hesitant to change cruise lines, but it would appear that we made a great choice with the Jewel!

Thanks again,
Beth
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






#8
NJ
3,530 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Hi there!

What was the weather like for the most part?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maggieq
Cruisestaken.....
Carnival Ecstasy (eastern) 7/91, Carnival Fantasy (bahamas) 9/92
Golden Princess (southern) 5/04, RCCL NOS (western) 8/21/04
RCCL AOS (Aruba itin.) 4/3/05, RCCL Mariner (western) 10/9/05
RCCL SOS (southern) 04/01/06, RCCL Majesty of the Seas (no Coco Cay)5/25/07
RCCL LOS (western itin) 9/8/07, RCCL Empress of the Seas 1/25/08
RCCL AOS 5/18/08, HA Eurodam 8/29/08 (cruise to nowhere)
RCCL Freedom (western) 10/12/2008, RCCL IOS(Eastern) 2/7/2009
RCCL Freedom (E) 7/12/2009, RCCL Liberty10/24/2009
Carnival Dream (2nt ctn), Celebrity Solstice 4/11/10 - E. itin.bad weather cruise
RCCL Oasis 10/16/10 great ship.....terrible weather, RCCL Liberty 1/9/11 (Eastern)
RCCL Oasis 5/14/11 Western - finally some sun, RCCL Allure 9/11/11 (western) more sun..yey!
Regent Seven Seas Mariner - 10/24/11 - Tuscany & Amalfi Coast - First time to Italy!!!
RCCL FOS 12/30 cruise to Diamond Plus,RCCL JOS 4/19/12 - first cruise as Diamond Plus
RCCL AOS 5/20/12 - Allure for the 2nd time...RCCL OAS 2/23/2013 - Oasis Eastern
RCCL EOS 5/11/13 - Bermuda RCCL LOS 9/1/2013 Barcelona finally! Med itin
Celebrity Reflection 1/11/14 ....just ok...RCCL JOS - Aruba/Curacao 5/10/14
RCCL OAS - Eastern itin 8/23/14, RCCL Quantum Transatlantic 11/2/14 - Amazing
RCCL OAS - Western 1/31/2015- not so amazing, RCCL OAS - eastern 5/16/2015 - slightly better
RCCL - Serenade Baltic 8/15 - Amazing,Celebrity Summit 11/28/2015
3/5/2016 RCCL Adventure, 3/13/2016 RCCL Jewel, 5/20/2016 - Adventure, RCCL Allure 9/4/2016
2/26/2017 - RCCL Jewel, 5/13/2017 - RCCL Harmony 10/12/2017 Anthem - New England/Canada
2/4/2018 allure


#9
Quincy, MA USA
456 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Hey Paul, Thanks for the great reviews. I was on the Explorer, May 2004 and you have her to a "T". I will be on the Jewel this Sept from Boston. I had a chance last October to go on a tour of her while she was docked here in Boston. You are right she is beautiful. I can't wait. Even though I haven't sailed her yet I knew exactly about everything you were talking about. Thanks again, you have a great website.
L J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
WAITING FOR MY NEXT ADVENTURE !!!!!!!

Lori

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - April 2008
RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Sept 2005
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - May 2004
Carnival Celebration - July 1989
Carnival Julilee - May 1983
#10
238 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
That was a great review. Were you in Cabin 1514? That is our cabin on up-coming cruise.

Will the balcony take a lounger (or 2?) as we did on our D1 cabin on the Navigator last year?

Any other comments on the cabin?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10-10-2010 Viking Century Sun
01-22-2011 Celebrity Eclipse
01-30-2011 Allure of the Seas
11-06-2011 Navigator of the Seas
01-31-2012 Celebrity Century
10-26-2012 Celebrity Solstice
#11
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by judiek
Paul,great review.We were on the Jewel last summer for a 12 day Baltic cruise. I agree that the Voyager class has a lot of Wow factors but the understated elegance on the Jewel make it our favorite.
Thanks!!! Have a great cruise!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#12
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by BevMoney
I love your cruise page!! I see yall fell in Love with RC and never looked back. Same here. I hope to be organized one day to do my own page.
I know- my only fear about RCI is that that other cruise conglomerate will take control of it!!! Nothing against them- I just want my RCI to keep going in it's present direction!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#13
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by trabucocruiser
Paul, we were on the Jewel 8 day cruise on March 26th and agree with everything you said. A great ship and crew and has us planning for a
European cruise on her.
Have a great time!!! I wish I could afford that!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#14
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by UCONN Women Rule
Paul
Great review - we were on the same cruise and couldn't have described it any better, including the downpour in San Juan, it got me back to the ship rapidly - you allowed me to relive the best of my seven cruises. THANKS!!!
Gerry
My pleasure, Gerry! I thought it was a pretty good group of fellow cruisers as well- didn't you? Lots of friendly people!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#16
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Ivey01
Paul,

Thanks so much for your review! We are cruising on the Jewel in October of this year, this will be our first cruise with RCI. After reading your review I can hardly wait! Our first cruise was with NCL, which we thoroughly enjoyed, so my husband to be was hesitant to change cruise lines, but it would appear that we made a great choice with the Jewel!

Thanks again,
Beth
Beth,

I know you'll enjoy this ship- trust me! But if for some reason you don't like it- don't give up on RCI. Everyone needs to try at least one Voyager class ship from that line!!!!

Cheers,
Paul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#17
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by maggieq
Hi there!

What was the weather like for the most part?
Gorgeous except for PR. The day from Nassau to Ft. Lauderdale was also a bit rocky due to exceptionally rough seas from a storm front- same front that threw that "rogue wave" at the NCL ship.

Diane and I stood at the bow laughing like maniacs as we left Nassau with the ship moving into those waters!!! I loved it; Diane got sea-sick for a bit after, but Bonine got rid of that quickly enough.

Cheers,
Paul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#18
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by LJR213
Hey Paul, Thanks for the great reviews. I was on the Explorer, May 2004 and you have her to a "T". I will be on the Jewel this Sept from Boston. I had a chance last October to go on a tour of her while she was docked here in Boston. You are right she is beautiful. I can't wait. Even though I haven't sailed her yet I knew exactly about everything you were talking about. Thanks again, you have a great website.
L J
Thank you- have a great cruise!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#19
713 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by chrob
That was a great review. Were you in Cabin 1514? That is our cabin on up-coming cruise.

Will the balcony take a lounger (or 2?) as we did on our D1 cabin on the Navigator last year?

Any other comments on the cabin?
We were in a D1 on Navigator; on Jewel, I was in 1512 and our best friends were in 1514, so I was in your cabin! Anything you need to know, just ask.

As a simple comparison, the E1 cabin is the same exact width as the D1- it's just not as deep. In other words, there's not enough room for a three cushion couch in the cabin, but instead there's an outsize chair (maybe 2 people could squeeze into it?) in the sitting area- does this give you a sense? (There's also a silly little "coffee table" that we quickly moved off to a side- it was not a logical addition to the room.) Otherwise, everything is the same size- bathroom, dresser area, bed, storage space, etc. The balcony is the same width, but it seems bigger as the overhanging roof doesn't completely enclose it- you have a better view of the stars!!! As for the lounger (?)- I think if it fits on the D1 balcony it'll fit on the E1 balcony, but where did you get the lounger?!?

The balcony has two chairs, and a smallish table.
I hope Rex is still your cabin steward- he was excellent! (he'll probably be out of rotation by then)

Think of the Jewel as Navigator-lite! No Promenade... or ice skating... but plenty of beauty and art and gorgeousity!!!!

Cheers,
Paul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Read my cruise reviews at: pndcruisereviews.com
#20
11 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
What a nice review. My wife and I and 7 other couples are booked on a Feb. Jewel cruise. I organized and chose this particular ship and line. It is with great relief and excitement that you wrote a great review. Like you, with our friends around, I think my clothes will stay on also at Orient Beach.