Trip Insurance

Grumpy100

We have currently put down a non-refundable deposit for a river cruise for April 9, 2013 with AMA Waterways. I have not gotten insurance yet but will soon. My question is what will be covered.

My father-in-law has just gotten sick and we don't know whether he had a stroke or has brain cancer. He is home now and doing a little better but that is considered a pre-existing condition. He is not going on our trip but just my husband and myself. Final payment is Jan 5, 2013 coming up so I was told to buy the insurance, "Travelguard" because if my father-in-law should pass away right before our trip and we could not go then we would be reimbursed the total amount of the trip minus $50 deductible.

I was told they look at your family members past medical if they are the reasons that you had to cancel your trip.

Does anyone know if there is other insurance out there and if this is true.

We usually get other insurance that is primary medical.

Also if you get sick in a foreign country, say the Netherlands, do they make you pay the bill before you are released from the hospital.

Suppose you are in the hospital for a few days and it is like $20,000.

My credit cards don't go that high.:confused::confused::confused:

I know which ones provide primary medical but I am thinking about the pre-existing condition of my FIL if he should pass away right before our trip. Because he is already ill and we have to cancel would they reimburse us for out charges because I have not yet purchased the insurance.

Preexisting conditions usually only apply to the people being insured not other family members. The people being insured usually don't know the pre existing condition of other family members. If they did , they won't know how the person will live.

Preexisting conditions usually only apply to the people being insured not other family members. The people being insured usually don't know the pre existing condition of other family members. If they did , they won't know how the person will live.

That may be true in Canada but in the US travel insurance industry more insurers DO apply the pre-existing medical condition exclusion to non-traveling family members than do not. For example, Travel Guard -- which the OP is considering -- does. here's their definition of a pre-existing condition:

"(s) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which . . . "

But there are insurers which do not do this such as Travelex:

"Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with you: . . ."

I know which ones provide primary medical but I am thinking about the pre-existing condition of my FIL if he should pass away right before our trip. Because he is already ill and we have to cancel would they reimburse us for out charges because I have not yet purchased the insurance.

There is at least one insurer that covers pre existing.

I suggest you go to http://www.insuremytrip.com

Do the research.

Then contact the insurance company(s) with questions.

Keith

Also if you get sick in a foreign country, say the Netherlands, do they make you pay the bill before you are released from the hospital.

Yes, you would be required to pay the bill before you leave. If your credit card won't handle you want to be with an insurer such as TravelSafe which has this benefit:

"Advance payment will be made to a Hospital, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, if needed, to secure Your admission to a Hospital, because of a covered Sickness or Injury. The Program Medical Advisor will coordinate advance payment to the Hospital."

With their Classic plan the "Maximum Benefit Amount" is $100.000.

As many have stated, go to InsureMyTrip.com and look at your options. In the US, the way to get the pre-existing clause waived is to buy your insurance within 14 days of making your initial deposit. Some policies will cover pre-existing at a higher rate. Others have cancel for any reason coverage, which is always more expensive. In your situation, given your FIL's health, it might make sense to purchase a cancel for any reason policy. So much of buying travel insurance is having a comfort level with what amount of the vacation are you comfortable losing completely if something happens before you leave, once you are there. If you trip on a sidewalk and break your ankle (happened to someone on my river cruise) can you afford to pay for all of your medical expenses, and all expenses incurred as a result (hotel stays, possible upgrade to first class to fly home or air ambulance), etc. Personally - I always buy travel insurance any time I leave the US because I can't afford the what ifs. So far, I've never had to make a claim, but on so many of my trips, someone else has had an issue.

I purchased travel insurance for the trip I am on right now - small ship excursion to Antarctica - with preexisting coverage based on purchase of policy within 48 hours of final payment (not initial payment) and it is primary coverage. The policy was the same price as other companies but I needed the preexisting based on final payment.

Look for the coverage you need on a travel insurance comparison site then go to the site of the company you wish to purchase the policy from as it may be cheaper. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

That may be true in Canada but in the US travel insurance industry more insurers DO apply the pre-existing medical condition exclusion to non-traveling family members than do not. For example, Travel Guard -- which the OP is considering -- does. here's their definition of a pre-existing condition:

"(s) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION:

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which . . . "

But there are insurers which do not do this such as Travelex:

"Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with you: . . ."

I called Insuremytrip.com twice this morning and they said that Travelguard will cover my FIL if he passes away a few days before our trip even if he has a pre-existing condition but they say it has to include "death" or they will not pay.

I called Insuremytrip.com twice this morning and they said that Travelguard will cover my FIL if he passes away a few days before our trip even if he has a pre-existing condition but they say it has to include "death" or they will not pay.

The Company will pay a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown

on the Schedule of Benefits or Declarations Page, if an Insured

cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on his/her Trip due

to the following Unforeseen events:

(a) Sickness, Injury or death of an Insured, Family Member,

Traveling Companion, or Business Partner.

Yes, the "pre-existing" clause is not used if the family member dies with TG's Gold Plan.

The Company will pay a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown

on the Schedule of Benefits or Declarations Page, if an Insured

cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on his/her Trip due

to the following Unforeseen events:

(a) Sickness, Injury or death of an Insured, Family Member,

Traveling Companion, or Business Partner.

Yes, the "pre-existing" clause is not used if the family member dies with TG's Gold Plan.

Well I guess I will buy Travel Guard for our insurance. Thank you for your help.

Grumpy....Please don't guess.

We called insuremytrip yesterday and asked a ton of questions. My mother is in poor health and we needed to know if, should her health decline even more is there an insurance that would cover the cancellation of the trip.

Answer = maybe but probably not..

Since she is already in poor health, she would need to not have any medical care for 180 days prior to sailing, or should would have to die for insurance to cover anything.

Call insuremytrip again, and make sure you ask every question you can think of so you can make an informed decision. It's your money, spend it wisely.

We have currently put down a non-refundable deposit for a river cruise for April 9, 2013 with AMA Waterways. I have not gotten insurance yet but will soon. My question is what will be covered.

My father-in-law has just gotten sick and we don't know whether he had a stroke or has brain cancer. He is home now and doing a little better but that is considered a pre-existing condition. He is not going on our trip but just my husband and myself. Final payment is Jan 5, 2013 coming up so I was told to buy the insurance, "Travelguard" because if my father-in-law should pass away right before our trip and we could not go then we would be reimbursed the total amount of the trip minus $50 deductible.

I was told they look at your family members past medical if they are the reasons that you had to cancel your trip.

Does anyone know if there is other insurance out there and if this is true.

We usually get other insurance that is primary medical.

• You need to carryfully read the terms of the policy before purchasing to fully understand what is and is not covered Suggest the following websites to compare companies : www.insuremytrip.com and www.quaremouth.com To have any pre-existing conditions waives most policies have to be purchased 10-14 days (days vary with company) from the initial booking date. All this information is listed on the websites I've posted.

• Re Hospital Bill : depends on the Hospital and depends on the insurance. While in Hong Kong had to go to the emergency room. Though had insurance I was required to pay the bill in full before being release and than had to submit a claim. That's one reason why I travel with the Green AMEX card as it has no limit which is perfect for situations such as this. Green AMEX allows you to charge as much as you want provide you have the approciate credit ratings as long as it gets paid in full with the terms of the payment cycle.

We live in Florida but I decided to cancel our trip as I don't know what will happen with my fil and his illness and we are well past our 14 day preexisting waiver. I have learned a valuable lesson about getting insurance within the 14 day initial deposit to cover pre existing conditions.

We will lose our $800 deposit but rather the $800 than $7000 which is what the trip would have cost.

Happy travels.

I sent them an email thru the travel agent and she will forward it to them and ask. I will let you know what their response is. I doubt they will refund any of the deposit. They have no compassion for people or their circumstances. It is all about money to them. But...I will never book with them again and have learned a valuable lesson about insurance. Happy holidays to all and happy sailing just not on AMA Waterways.

I sent them an email thru the travel agent and she will forward it to them and ask. I will let you know what their response is. I doubt they will refund any of the deposit. They have no compassion for people or their circumstances. It is all about money to them. But...I will never book with them again and have learned a valuable lesson about insurance. Happy holidays to all and happy sailing just not on AMA Waterways.

All cruiselines seem to have the same policy. If your worry was just having insurance to cover this, I am not sure why you cancelled, as it appears there were policies that would provide this coverage.

I'm confused. You have just now asked that they waive their normal policies and make an exception in your case. It sounds like they have not yet received your request or had any time to review the situation and make some sort of "goodwill" offer. And you're posting on this forum that they "have no compassion" and that you will never book with them again? Before giving them a chance?

If I was Ama and knew this I wouldn't lift a finger to help you. "Goodwill" goes two ways.

They have no compassion for people or their circumstances. It is all about money to them.

Yes, it's funny that a business would be like that. If people aren't willing to risk a loss, they need to purchase insurance. I continue to be puzzled why insurance isn't purchased at the time of booking.

I'm confused. You have just now asked that they waive their normal policies and make an exception in your case. It sounds like they have not yet received your request or had any time to review the situation and make some sort of "goodwill" offer. And you're posting on this forum that they "have no compassion" and that you will never book with them again? Before giving them a chance?

If I was Ama and knew this I wouldn't lift a finger to help you. "Goodwill" goes two ways.

I agree, it is confusing.

Archived