Call me an optimist ...

wulicny

All,

Call me an optimist, but, based on recent postings, I am actually quite encouraged about enjoying my first sailing on a SeaDream yacht (the SDII, Nov 13).

First, please understand a few things about me. My wife and I have no kids, and we prefer to sail with no kids onboard. It's not that we don't enjoy our nieces and nephews and friends' children, we just don't want to vacation with them (or strangers' kids either). I agree that if SD is marketing for "couples", children should be strongly discouraged. We select our cruising schedule to minimize the impact that children will have on our vacation - thus the November 13 sailing date and the ultra-luxury SeaDream (as opposed to mainstream Carnival).

Also, we are not a part of any large affinity group sailing. I probably wouldn't do that if available to me anyway. I like to map out my own vacation, and not rely on others to "herd" me around. That being said, if there is a significantly large group on board, I expect the staff would bend over backwards to make sure the remaining passengers were unaffected, or at least pampered even more so. (It may be a pipe dream. However, if, upon boarding, I came to find a large group aboard, I would make it a point to find the Cruise Director, mention the situation, and tell him/her that I expect it to be their responsibility that I not be inordinately inconvenienced by said group.)

Now, back to the optimism. For the past month, maybe two, most postings have related to issues with groups, children, and a little bit about the insurance. I have come to find in Cruise Critic over the past two or three years that I have been a member, that until a particular board reaches a critical mass of posters (which the SD Board has not), the few members that do post are focused more on complaints or issues they have with the line, valid or not. And be not troubled, I think most of the issues currently being addressed on this board are extremely valid - more so than, say, the Cunard or Celebrity boards, for instance.

I am optimistic because there have been no complaints about customer service before the sailing, the boarding process, the food, the activities, the entertainment, the spa, the itineraries, and especially the crew. I appreciate the too few reviews that are posted. They are, with the exception of the issues described earlier, are positively glowing, and that feeds my optimisim.

Now, to perk up the board a bit, I would like to request, in addition to maintaining the threads on kids and groups, some new threads pertaining to positive aspects of the areas described above (customer service, boarding process, food, etc.). Please, feed my optimism even more - he is a hungry beast :) .

Thanks,

Bill

I agree with you also. Despite recent postings, we are very much looking forward to our first SeaDream cruise on January 2nd. We are hoping, of course, that the kids who have been on the ship for the last two weeks will have gone back to school. And we are hoping that the sailing is too close to the holidays to be attractive to a business group - people usually do not leave for business travel, even cruises, on New Year's Day. But we are very excited about SeaDream and optimistic that our expectations will be met.

I think the thing I liked best about SD on our Nov 04 cruise was the relaxation. Even though it was a holiday week and the ship was nearly full (two kids and a group of about 45 Belgians), we never felt crowded. One night we sat in the lounge watching the movie -- and were the only ones! I loved putting my feet up, eating popcorn and watching a big screen!

Did not miss the entertainment of other ships -- many of us spent hours at Top of the Yacht, solving the problems of the world! Nor did I miss formal nights -- we were at sea, which is the whole point -- the only thing I didn't do that I want to on our Jan 06 cruise is stay out on the balinese beds after dark and watch the stars!

Our experience with embarkation/disembarkation, food, attititude of the crew, etc. was all top notch. In fact, my husband (who lets me pick the cruise lines) said it was all I said it would be and more. So, Bill - notwithstanding some of other issues discussed recently, I think you'll have a great time! We'll be anxious to hear about it.

I keep hearing good things about Seabourn -- but, after the "casual elegance" of SD, not sure I want to pack the formal gear again. . . .

Vandrefalk

Will send a full report next month on our upcoming trip - maybe helenlihayes p55 and i can collaborate as we have 3 posters on the same cruise - on the june rome nice sailings of sd 1,

my wife and I loved our sea goddes experience 5 years ago and are pretty much imitating the experience as we are taking almost the exact same voyage... so we are looking forward to comparing and contrasting...will be hard to beat the goddess experience, we absolutely loved it with a few minor exceptions....fun to see if any of those gaps have been closed

Carlylecat -

fully commited to no more discussions of kids on this board!

All,

Now, to perk up the board a bit, I would like to request, in addition to maintaining the threads on kids and groups, some new threads pertaining to positive aspects of the areas described above (customer service, boarding process, food, etc.). Thanks,

Bill

Suppose we meet part way.

Cruisers often compare SeaDream with the twice the size Seabourn, both of which offer absolutely first class all-inclusive cruising. Since they are in the same price range, I suspect that some potential cruisers who can afford either frequently choose between them so this might be a good way to proceed.

The SeaDream offers a superb experience. No lines; excellent food; excellent personal service. Well run, efficient dining room. Very comfortable. There is aways an empty deck chair. You can pretty well get whatever you want whenever you want it and with with a smile!

It gets a straight 9 - 10 for all of these aspects. So does Seabourn.

Even at capacity, neither ship is "crowded".

It seemed to us that Seadream is not as "elegant" and not as formal as Seabourn. That does not make it bad, only different.

In some ways, Seabourn is a better size...nicer and larger public rooms, entertainment and more public space. However, peversely, in our view, the outside dining facilities on SeaDream (breakfast/lunch) are more spacious, more spread out and much nicer than the Seabourn veranda. And, of course, unlike Seabourn, there is no smoking on SeaDream either in the lounges or where people eat.

But, the very thing that distinguishes SeaDream and makes it preferable for many, the dressy informality, is also what attracts children, extended families and other affinity groups who don't like the dressup policy on Seabourn. (Conversely, many cruisers chose Seabourn because they like the formal dress up nights and jacket at dinner policies).

Ultimately, both of these ships are very special (along with the Windstar/Windspirit - although not all inclusive). One only has to take a single mass market cruise to appreciate how special they really are.

Welcome and well said Bill:D

We are looking forward to our return trip on SD in November ... we are sailing the week before you I believe.

The boarding process was incredible ... not just the first day but every time. So nice to be able to come and go basically as you please. I also was impressed with the debarkation on our last day ... we had a lesiurely breakfast around 9 and then left the ship at 10 ... no waiting for colors to be called.

I think the thing that we are looking most forward to this trip is relaxing on the Balinese sun bed with a good book and a cool drink:cool:

When I first booked SD last year I was torn between it and Seabourn. The deciding factor for us was size of the ship as well as the lack of formal evenings. Don't get me wrong ... I love to see DH in a tux ... but some of our best sailing memories are of days spent in bathing suits.

Hi Bill:

You are right about the kid thing being the only substantive complaint on this board. You would be hard pressed to find another board without gripes about food, service, embarkation, etc. from someone. I have posted reviews twice. First was SD II in December 04, as perfect as a cruise could be. I'm sure you also read my recent review of SD I, the infamous Disney cruise. I guess I have seen the best and the worst in a 3 month period but, as my review shows, the kid thing is the only negative at all. Be sure to post a review when you return. Reviews on this board are few and far between, need more reviews so we can live vicariously between trips. You will never be able to face the mass ships again so dont go if you think Carnival may be in your future. (Just joking, dont need another controversy) You are in for a treat.

All the best.

Jim.

There are, in our opinion, a few vital elements (in addition to superior food and service) that differentiate a first class cruising experience from a mass market cruise.

One is a single open seating dining room. For us, two seatings means too early and too late. Both Seabourn and SeaDream are one open seating; both have ample dining room space although Seabourn also uses the veranda as a less formal seating venue (reservations required). When we sailed, the veranda tended to fill up especiallyl on formal nights. Still, there was never a problem finding dining room space, even at the busy 7:30 hour.

For the Seabourn, lunch in the veranda for days at sea tended to be somewhat crowded, but not unpleasantly so.

A second very positive characteristic for us is no lines for anything. Both ships handled checkin within minutes (which went quickly because of the drinks and food offered). Neither ever had a wait getting off the ship. Even coming back just behind a returning excursion never took more than a few minutes because, unlike the big ships with their 6 bus caravans, these ships had either one or two busses.

Even on arrival day (painfully early wake-up for immigration/customs) we had a leisurely breakfast and nobody rushed our departure. Those having to leave the ship for an early connection had their luggage waiting for them at the dock in a special section.

Finally, we don't like the nickel and dime aspects of many bigger ships. Both the SeaDream and Seabourn seem very happy with the fares they collect. There is no "gold by the inch"; special cocktail; bingo; art auction; constant hawking of shore excursions; or any of the dozen other offerings that mass market ships used to raise the average revenue per passenger.

So, in these regards, both ships are spectacular. No distinguishable difference between them that we could find.

Hi everyone

like Carlylecat this will be our first visit with SeaDream....but likewise having also sailed on Sea Goddess it will indeed be interesting to compare...for us SG1 was the best cruise we have ever taken ...even though we have sailed on both Seabourn and Wind Surf since then...of course back in those days SG1 was a formal ship and we did the dressing up bit with gusto although my partner moaned about the dinner jacket nights...said he was too hot...he did look gorgeous though...

it will be interesting to see any changes made to the yacht and how the extra deck has changed the layout...but the thing I'm most looking forward to is eating on deck each night....with our UK weather there are not many nights when we can eat out under the stars so hopefully I will be making the most of 14 nights of balmy Med weather...and even if we are "sailing" during dinner the distances needed to be covered are so small that hopefully the trip will be slow and smooth.

and yes Carlylecat..a joint posting review sounds good...as long as we can agree!!....will talk about it on board...see you on the 11th June...will you be wearing a red carnation or should we have a code word..."the champagne is flat tonight"..??!!??

Finally I think the main thing we all need to remember is how lucky we are to be able to experience a voyage on SeaDream....

xx Helen

Helen --

The champagne is never ever flat - nor is your glass ever empty.

After experiencing Sea Dream in a charter where my business had the entire ship we chose to return to Sea Dream for many many reasons --

(1) having been nickeled and dimed to death and hustled on other ships, it is excellent to know you don't have a huge bill waiting for you as on other lines.

(2) endless (well, almost endless) caviar

(3) service that can not be matched -- even by our former standards, the Four Seasons. If Lukas (usually bar) or Kris (meals) are on your ship - the attention is the best ever.

(4) no wait to board or disembark - no long lines for sign ups for shore excursions, an extremely clean and well-maintained ship.

(5) the no smoking enforcement - its so great to have dinner and not be overwhelmed by smoke

(6) open dining and 24 hour room service (though we never ordered -- just great to know you could).

(7) Eggs Benedict --best Hollandaise sauce.

Eagerly awaiting your review.

FT

We cruised on SD1 on her first Atlantic crossing, and it spoiled us for all other cruise lines. We now end up comparing them all to Sea Dream.

I have nothing bad to say. We enjoyed the company of many of our fellow passengers (there is a different type of personality that enjoys 9 consecutive days of blue water vs. daily ports), the food was excellent, the cabin was comfortable, the champagne glass never emptied, and the staff were all wonderful.

Captain Valter Berg is a true sea captain, and extremely gracious. We enjoyed his company on the bridge, at dinner, and around the ship. His first officer was also very nice.

We had several favorite waiters- but the two we enjoyed the most were Zolt and Xavier. The Hotel Manager (I am trying to recall his name- I think it was Jonathon) shared wonderful stories about his years on the QE2 and other experiences. The "Activities" Director (again I am having a hard time recalling his name) was indespensible in finding our wayward luggage.

Even though we had no luggage -I received mine 3 days into the cruise and my husband did not receive his until we arrived in Palm Beach - we had a wonderful time and never felt like our lack of "appropriate clothes" was a problem on board.

We even managed to create our own little ritual- every evening at 5 pm you would find us in the hot tub, relaxing before dinner.

Enjoy your cruise. Some day we will cruise with SD again. If Zolt or Xavier are still on board, tell them the Fennelly's wish them well!

Now this is a thread I am thoroughly enjoying. Thanks much to all you people, and you can definitely count on a review/trip report when I return.

On another note, I am kind of torn about promoting SeaDream Yacht Club. I think it will be a fine line between keeping them with enough "couples" clients to keep them in business for my forseeable vacationing future, and having to fight for space on board because the line is so popular.

Ah well, I guess I shall try to enjoy it while I can. :)

Bill

I feel your pain Bill:cool:

FT I think we need to add the outstanding corned beef hash with perfectly poached eggs to that list of your:p

Now that it is warming up here in North Carolina and we will be spending days poolside I will surely miss having someone bring be perfectly chilled pieces of fruit around 3 p.m. Not to mention the never-empty glass of Pelligrino and lime.

• 1 month later...
I am counting the days until we sail in November ... just the thought of being pampered will get me through these dog days of June;)

I am passing the time by planning all the other phases of our November vacation. I have already reserved one night pre-cruise at the Crystal Palace Bed and Breakfast in Charlotte Amalie. After the sailing, I have reservations for three nights at Caneel Bay Resort on St. John.

My biggest time consumer now is checking into every possible permutation of air arrangements from Washington, DC, to St. Thomas for our travel dates. I am trying to minimize both travel time and cost.

So far, the leader is United. For ~$750 pp, we can fly direct from Dulles to STT, and return on a United/USAIRWAYS codeshare flight through Charlotte.

But, running a close second is American Airlines. For about $680 pp, we can fly through San Juan on both departure and return flights.

Keep in mind that I have a few restrictions on my flight selections, the dear wife won't fly on "puddle jumpers" or regional jets. If we could take those planes, I might be able to get the fares well below $600 pp. Also, We could fly direct both ways on USAIRWAYS if we left from and returned to Philadelphia. But, DW doesn't want to spend the night in Philadelphia before and after the vacation. I can't say I blame her on that one. I love Philadelphia, but after 11 days in the Caribbean I am sure that the only other place I would rather be is home.

United is in front because we get at least one direct flight. Plus, since I mostly fly United for work, I have a few upgrades that I may be able to use to bump us into first class. I'll wait a bit into the summer to see if the fares go down, but I also want to buy the tickets soon to ease my mind.

Bill

We have our air booked for our November trip using those FF miles on USAir. Only thing is that our cruise starts in West Palm and ends in STT. I couldn't get us a flight out of STT on Sunday so we will stay in STT for two days.

I haven't booked our hotel yet in STT. Last year we spent our pre-cruise at Morning Star Beach at Frenchman's Reef. I am still trying to decide if I want to spend those two post days on STJ or STT. We love STJ so I am leaning in that direction.

We will take a short hop from Greensboro/High Point to Charlotte to West Palm and coming back it's STT to Charlotte to Greensboro. Direct flights are just one more thing I miss about living near Philadelphia;)

Archived