Independence 8-day 3/16 mini review

I used CC and the forums so much leading up to my cruise, so I thought I should add my thoughts in hopes they help somebody else out!

My background: I had been on 4 previous cruises with my DH. last RCI cruise 1995 on Majesty. Also on Carnival and Celebrity(x2). Our last cruise was in 2001. At that time our favorite was Celebrity. This was our first cruise with our DD(8yo). We chose RCI(over Celebrity) b/c we thought it would be more kid friendly.

**I love CC and our Roll Call was so much fun! it added to the pre-cruise excitement!**

We flew in FLL a day early on Friday the 15th. It was a beautiful day, but I think it was warmer in Kansas that day. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. The hotel grounds are beautiful and everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful. I would say our room while clean looked a bit dated. We were in one of the low buildings with a pool view. We choose to take this room as we were able to get into room right away, about 1pm. My DH had to get on a work conference call, so DD and I heading to Pelican's Landing for lunch. Pretty sure we walked by Steven Spielberg's yacht, but since I didn't know it was his I didn't take any pics. The 2 of us had a nice lunch, my only complaint: DD ate about half on my shrimp! We ordered a to togo lunch for DH, whose conference finished up while we were walking back to the room.

We jumped in our rental car and drove to Everglades Holiday Park, if you are a gator Boys fan, you have heard of it. I guess it was about a 45 mins ride and we did encounter some traffic. We just made it just in time, getting the last seats on the last airboat tour of the day. my DD was bit disappointed that we didn't see any of the "famous" gator boys. We saw the gator show, DD held a small alligator by herself(for $5), then the airboat tour. We had a awesome time and I would recommend a visit here. As a FYI: The guys do mention that they survive on tips and lay it on pretty heavy....

On the drive back to the hotel we decided we should stop for dinner. we went into the Harbor Shops, mostly because Total Wine was in there. After driving around and looking at all eating options DH and DD decided on CoCo, an Asian Bistro. The food was yummy and I would recommend. We went into Total wine for our 2 allowed bottles of wine and the went into grocery store for a few things, then back to hotel.

I think rather than day by day will go by topic.

Rental car: we decided to rent a car mainly b/c we wanted to go to Everglades holiday park otherwise we would have skipped a car. we used Avis b/c they are at the Hyatt. We picked up the car at the airport and returned to the Hyatt Saturday morning. Avis had a free shuttle to the cruise terminal, we had little wait time and there were 3 families on the shuttle and one of the other was going to Terminal 29 and Indy as well, so we went right there.

I read on CC about the Avis codes as there are 2 codes for the same location one says Hyatt and the other says cruise ship pier. I used the Cruise ship pier one, but am going to say either way you can likely get the shuttle to the pier.

Pier 29:

Embark: we arrived by 10:30 and there was already a line waiting to go thru security. Everyone was very nice from the luggage guys to the RCI people managing the lines. DH and I didn't recall all the security when we last cruised, but I personally am willing to wait if we will be safer. Once they opened doors, I thought the lines moved quickly. We are C&A gold, so we were not allowed in all the priority lines. All in all a good experience with not very long waits.

Debark: we used the RCI luggage valet, DH said well worth the $. I think it is a bit pricey, but not searching to get your bags. There are lines leaving which are a bit harder to tolerate then the lines to get onto the ship, but not bad at all. We took a cab to the airport. For the 3 of us this was the cheapest. the fare was less than $20. I believe the RCI prebook shuttle was $15/pp and a shared van was $11/pp.

Ship: The Indy is beautiful! Has been several years and cruise ships have changed a lot. Love the Promenade style. The only time the Promenade was crowded was the night of the Captain's thing and they were giving free "green" champagne. I saw nothing that would indicate the ship was going in to dry dock soon. DD loved the H20 zone. We played mini golf and with no wait on the first sea day. We watched the flow rider--fun! DD climbed the rock wall all the way to the top.

Cabin: We had a E1 balcony cabin. We picked the cabin based on the pullman bed. My 8yo DD refuses to sleep on a sofa beda and DH didn't want to spend a week on it. DD LOVED the pullman and on Day 2 we asked our cabin stewart to leave it down. She would climb up there whenever we were in the cabin! Having a balcony is awesome.

Space: I am NOT a LIGHT packer, and we were able to find a place to store everything. We had 2 hanging toiletry bags which we did use, but all clothes were stored in closet and draws! We were even able to store our 4 suitcases/3 carry-ons under bed, behind chair and in front of connecting door.

Our cabin stewart Elroy was wonderful he remembered our DD's name and yelled down the hall to us ever time we saw him. I have no idea how these people do what they do in the time they do it. They work their butts off! We had towel animals every other night which seemed pretty standard. DD wrote Elroy a note and left it for him. DH gave Elroy some $ at initial meeting and then all tips were added to our sea pass.

Food: Here's my OPINION:

Johnny Rockets: Shakes were yummy everything else just okay. DD enjoyed the dances. Some waiters enjoyed doing it more than others

Promenade food: Desserts at both Sorrentino's and Cafe were REALLY YUMMY. Pizza fine I've had better and worse.

Ben and jerry: it's Ben and Jerry's what's not to LOVE!

Windjammer: food was better than I expected. Was only really packed on embark, debark and one morning when everyone was wanting off the ship ASAP, I think San Juan. Servers were friendly and brought us drinks more than we got them ourselves. I liked the Honey Stung chicken on Embarkation. DD even asked for it later in our trip.

MDR: We ate one lunch. I had the Tutti salad was good, but I wouldn't rave about it. I had some grilled eggplant that was delicious. Could have made a meal out of that, roasted peppers and mozzarella. We ate breakfast twice: once at a shared table, once at a table for just us. Enjoyed the eggs benedict, but also had the Museli which was YUMMY. I ate the MUSELI EVERYDAY. In the Windjammer it was in the Jade area, BUT I LOVED it!

Dinner: Without asking we got a private table next to a WINDOW we were able to watch the sunset on a few nights this was very nice. We had the 6pm seating. I chose this time. I thought 8:30 would be too late for my 8yo, but wanted to have the same wait staff each night. Our wait staff was not so great. It seemed as if the waiter and assistant just didn't work together. I think we just had bad luck. I felt servers we had for other meals were just fine and as I watched other waiters at tables around us they seemed just fine. We felt we were rushed with choosing our meals. It was confusing as to who we ordered what from. Bar waiter gets cocktails, but not bottles of wine?? Bar waiter was often slow coming to the table, not sure if he had a lot of large tables of adults with lots of bar orders? Eventually he would stop and would ask my DD by name if she wanted her special drink. One night I order a bottle of wine and there was confusion with the bin number. Not sure if I messed up the number or the waiter did when he gave it to the assistant waiter, but she was clearly mad about it. One night we ordered wine and it never came. The only night when we were going to have my DD go to AO from the dining room, we mentioned to waiter and he clearly had no idea what we were talking about. Not only was my DD not done by 6:45p, but our meal was rushed. Again I think was an issue with our server as a nearby table had 2 DD that went to AO most nights with the kids being served faster than mom and dad

Food: just okay in my book. I don't really understand the new themed menu. The is an ingredient featured, but only in one or 2 dishes??? Appetizer were tasty, but main entrees were very underwhelming. Was the food bad? no, just nothing special.

I think this is it unless anyone has questions:

Adventure Ocean: my DD was really looking forward to it and unfortunately she was very disappointed. She is 8, so that put her in the 6-8 age group, bad for her as she would prefer to be with older kids. Everyday there was an activity list for each session, but she never seemed to be there for what she wanted to do. She wanted to to do craft and science projects not play tag. She also commented that some of the kids were wild. She was excited about the circus, but then felt it was baby-ish. I don't believe there was a lot of choices in there, kids have to do what the staff says to do at a given time.

Other kids seemed to enjoy it. just don't think it was a good fit for my DD.

What did you think of the ports? I am wondering more about St Kitts and San Juan because I haven't been to either. Did you see any of the monkeys on St Kitts? What is there to do near the port in San Juan? Going on Indy (kid less) in January. Enjoyed your mini review. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think this is it unless anyone has questions:

Adventure Ocean: my DD was really looking forward to it and unfortunately she was very disappointed. She is 8, so that put her in the 6-8 age group, bad for her as she would prefer to be with older kids. Everyday there was an activity list for each session, but she never seemed to be there for what she wanted to do. She wanted to to do craft and science projects not play tag. She also commented that some of the kids were wild. She was excited about the circus, but then felt it was baby-ish. I don't believe there was a lot of choices in there, kids have to do what the staff says to do at a given time.

Other kids seemed to enjoy it. just don't think it was a good fit for my DD.

As far as AO, that's why my son won't do it. No flexibility. And I get that. I think he'd have been in the same boat as far a bit beyond what they planned for his age group. Or at least that's the way it seemed to me when I looked at the activities.

I need to do my own review of this cruise....just no time right now..

What did you think of the ports? I am wondering more about St Kitts and San Juan because I haven't been to either. Did you see any of the monkeys on St Kitts? What is there to do near the port in San Juan? Going on Indy (kid less) in January. Enjoyed your mini review. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Loved the ports! This is a great itinerary!

SanJuan: I wish we had been there longer. We did the RCI Zip lining excursion. We had a great time. It is a great intro zip lining esp with my 8yo DD. Old San Juan is nice. There are 2 forts to tour. You could easily do on your own. We toured El Morro last year while staying there. There is shopping as well, but shopping is much better in St Martin. Bacardi Rum Factory does free tours I believe.

St Kitts: we did "The Tour" with Thenford Grey. Highly recommended here on CC. The fort and Romney Manor were nice to visit, but probably wasn't the best choice with my 8yo. The drive to them went thru some really poor areas and my daughter who is pretty sheltered and was surprised by some of the conditions she saw people living in. At the end of the tour we went to a beach. The facilities were very nice, but it was cloudy and we were all tired, so we opted not to stay. While waiting on the bus we saw some moneys hanging out, but not stealing drinks. Would have loved to have seen that. I think if you want to see the monkeys hanging at the beach would probably be the best.

Food: Here's my OPINION:

Our wait staff was not so great. It seemed as if the waiter and assistant just didn't work together. I think we just had bad luck. I felt servers we had for other meals were just fine and as I watched other waiters at tables around us they seemed just fine. We felt we were rushed with choosing our meals. It was confusing as to who we ordered what from. Bar waiter gets cocktails, but not bottles of wine?? Bar waiter was often slow coming to the table, not sure if he had a lot of large tables of adults with lots of bar orders? Eventually he would stop and would ask my DD by name if she wanted her special drink. One night I order a bottle of wine and there was confusion with the bin number. Not sure if I messed up the number or the waiter did when he gave it to the assistant waiter, but she was clearly mad about it. One night we ordered wine and it never came. The only night when we were going to have my DD go to AO from the dining room, we mentioned to waiter and he clearly had no idea what we were talking about. Not only was my DD not done by 6:45p, but our meal was rushed. Again I think was an issue with our server as a nearby table had 2 DD that went to AO most nights with the kids being served faster than mom and dad

We had the exact same experience the week before. Ordered wine, never came. Wait staff not working together, not attentive, just terrible. Worst of any cruise. I don't know what's wrong with the folks in the dining room of that ship, but they need a swift kick in the pants.

We had the exact same experience the week before. Ordered wine, never came. Wait staff not working together, not attentive, just terrible. Worst of any cruise. I don't know what's wrong with the folks in the dining room of that ship, but they need a swift kick in the pants.

Sorry to hear you had the same experience, esp since it was your wedding trip! I would have thought they would given you the A team, Congrats! I read some of your review, but haven't gotten to your honeymoon Celebrity cruise...how would you compare RCI to celebrity?

Our wait staff was not so great. It seemed as if the waiter and assistant just didn't work together. I think we just had bad luck. I felt servers we had for other meals were just fine and as I watched other waiters at tables around us they seemed just fine. We felt we were rushed with choosing our meals. It was confusing as to who we ordered what from. Bar waiter gets cocktails, but not bottles of wine?? Bar waiter was often slow coming to the table, not sure if he had a lot of large tables of adults with lots of bar orders?

I really think it was a matter of bad luck. We also had early seating and had just the opposite experience. Our waiter was very attentive and quite social. The assistant waiter was in tune with the waiter in terms of service as well. Our bartender also appeared on a regular basis as there was a couple with us who ordered the after dinner cordials and he was there prior to dessert drinks in hand as well as prior to dinner with wine. Hopefully your experience was singular with your dissappointment as we've not experienced the bad service you indicate in the past or with Independence.

I really think it was a matter of bad luck. We also had early seating and had just the opposite experience. Our waiter was very attentive and quite social. The assistant waiter was in tune with the waiter in terms of service as well. Our bartender also appeared on a regular basis as there was a couple with us who ordered the after dinner cordials and he was there prior to dessert drinks in hand as well as prior to dinner with wine. Hopefully your experience was singular with your dissappointment as we've not experienced the bad service you indicate in the past or with Independence.

Glad to hear you had good service!

We were on this same cruise.

We had MTD and I prebooked our meal time for 6:00pm. (early seating was sold out ... and late seating is too late for our family).

We had the same waitstaff each night. They were EXCELLENT. The 2 of them worked very well together. The bartender was attentive to my DH ... after the first couple of nights he would just nod at my dh (who would nod back at him) and the bartender would bring over a "ceasar" for him. Which, in the US is kind of like a Bloody Mary ... so it really was a Bloody Mary with some extra seasoning. (one is made with Clamato juice, one with Tomato juice ...). I had a bottle of wine ... and when it was gone, just ordered a drink from the bartender.

My DH was so taken with the 3 men that he made them join in on a family photo with us. (the head waiter, assistant waiter, and bartender).

They knew our names, and pretty much figured out which of us liked pepper and which of us didn't ...

I feel bad that you weren't impressed with your waiters. Wish you could have had our experience.

I added a bit of a mini review to "this" thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1816000&page=2

re: the wine and who to order it from ... I too was a bit confused on that, but, I always got my wine! Our Assistant Waiter would ask me "Miss Shannon, would you like some wine". (yes), then the bartender would appear with dh's drink, he'd look at me and ask me if I wanted a drink and I'd say "Yes, I have a bottle of wine" .... next thing I know, the Assistant Waiter would be bringing me my wine. SO, I never knew who "used" the info that I gave ... it seemed that I always gave it in that order ... and I always got my wine :)

I remember you saying on the cruise how your waitstaff was a little off. I feel bad because dining is such a huge and important part of the whole cruise vacation.

We did MTD and had the exact opposite experience. Rowen and John were the best we ever had, we gave them our WOW cards. We had the wine package so each night John the assistant waiter would ask which bottle we would like to choose. By the second night the kids automatically got their sodas and shirley temples. The kids liked the tortilla/guacamole appetizer from the kids menu and just brought it to them without them asking. Rowen would bring us something extra each night, entree-desert, just because he thought we might like to try it.

On our last cruise a few years ago on Liberty the head waiter told us the most experienced waitstaff goes to MTD as it is much harder to serve that seating than the traditional ones.

I am glad to hear that others had the great service we expect on a cruise. For sure I would go with MTD in the future!

Not sure when we will cruise again. In recent years we have had some great land based SpringBreak trips: Scottsdale and PR. I LOVED St Martin and certainly would make a trip there. So many choices!!! DD says the cruise is the best!

DH and I will be married 20 yrs next year, so i am wanting a BIG trip. My number #1 would be Scandinavian/Baltic cruise, but DH not convinced. maybe Alaska.

I am glad to hear that others had the great service we expect on a cruise. For sure I would go with MTD in the future!

Not sure when we will cruise again. In recent years we have had some great land based SpringBreak trips: Scottsdale and PR. I LOVED St Martin and certainly would make a trip there. So many choices!!! DD says the cruise is the best!

DH and I will be married 20 yrs next year, so i am wanting a BIG trip. My number #1 would be Scandinavian/Baltic cruise, but DH not convinced. maybe Alaska.

Happy 20th next year! Whatever you decide it will be a great celebration of your anniversary. If it is a cruise, be sure to join the roll call.....

Archived