“Live” from the "Jewel of the Seas": April 13-April 18,2013

805 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Answer to tdmullins: I have been in the concierge lounge on the Jewel and yes you can see the balconies and people standing out there from the windows in the lounge. But I don't think people go into the lounge to stare at the balconies, rather to look out at the sea. Just don't go naked or you might be in for a surprise..ha ha
Williamsburg, VA
27 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
My DH and I were to be on this cruise but had to cancel at the last minute because of an illness. Looking forward to traveling on the Jewel through your review.
Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Wahoo! It's cruise day! I'm enjoying a nice cup of coffee here in the sun by the pool before I do a few last minute things around the house and head to the port. It surely was a nice surprise to see the sun as its been more cloudy than sunny the past few days. Does everyone have their virtual bags packed ready to board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Rhapsody of the Seas. February 18, 2018
Independence of the Seas. March 01, 2018
Oasis of the Seas. November 4, 2018

Past "Live" Trip Reports

RCCL - Oasis of the Seas "Live" cruise report. November 12-19, 2017. "Live" report can be found HERE

RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas "Live" cruise report. December 12-16, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Allure of the Seas "Live" cruise report. Nov 17-24,2013. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Enchantment of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 19-26, 2013. Back -2- Back. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Jewel of the Seas "Live" cruise report. April 13-18, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 20-23, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE
CCL - Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom B2B "Live" cruise report. November 8-17, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.
CCL - Carnival Ecstasy "Live" cruise report. December 3-8, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.

CCL - Carnival Ecstasy. Nov 24-27,2000. Report can be found HERE.

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Oasis of the Seas(1), Harmony of the Seas(1), Enchantment of the Seas(3), Monarch of the Seas(2), Jewel of the Seas(1), Allure of the Seas(1), Brilliance of the Seas(2)
Carnival Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy(2), Carnival Freedom(2), Carnival Legend(2), Carnival Inspiration(2), Carnival Imagination(2), Carnival Fantasy(2), Carnival Sensation(2)

Kentucky
637 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by jamon
Answer to tdmullins: I have been in the concierge lounge on the Jewel and yes you can see the balconies and people standing out there from the windows in the lounge. But I don't think people go into the lounge to stare at the balconies, rather to look out at the sea. Just don't go naked or you might be in for a surprise..ha ha
Thanks Jamon! I will try to keep my clothes on..lol. So you can actually see several balconies and not just the one next to it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My YouTube Channel where you can find all my cruise videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf6...jyQWl200g6-JiQ

2015 Carnival Sunshine Key West, Bahamas Review:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2281691
2015 Explorer of the Seas Cozumel, Bahamas Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2178629
2014 Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017203
2013 Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Review:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1912863
2013 Jewel Of the SeasCozumel Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845239
2012 Carnival Paradise Cayman Islands, Cozumel. Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1597805
2010 Carnival Fantasy Cozumel, Calica Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1199777
Elmhurst, IL, USA
1,675 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Have a wonderful cruise - looking forward to "sailing" along with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kimberly

Future Travel

Our favorite cruise experience:
Favorite Tour: Keishi Tours - Swimming with the sharks in Bora Bora:Before we got in...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPF_PeiHSP4
and then in the water with them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enjr8Vwghm0
Favorite Ship: Allure of the Seas
Favorite Cabin: Sky Loft Suite on Ovation of the Seas (with Star Class Service - WOW!!!!)
Tennessee
1,952 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by MrFunInTheSun
Wahoo! It's cruise day! I'm enjoying a nice cup of coffee here in the sun by the pool before I do a few last minute things around the house and head to the port. It surely was a nice surprise to see the sun as its been more cloudy than sunny the past few days. Does everyone have their virtual bags packed ready to board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas!

YEA!! Getting excited .... we'll be sailing with you!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Vickie & Lynn

Maasdam 14 Day Alaska APHC Cruise 8/15/16
Westerdam 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 1/02/16
Allure of the Seas 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 9/28/14
Nieuw Amsterdam 7 Day Caribbean 5/23/14
RCI Jewel of the Seas 5 Day 4/27/13
Noordam 10 Day Caribbean 11/11/11
Oasis of the Seas 7 Day Caribbean 5/28/11
Zaandam 14 Day Hawaii - 10/10
Eurodam 7 Day Caribbean - 2/10
Maasdam 7 Day Canada/New England - 10/09
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5 Day Caribbean 10/08
Zaandam 7 Day Alaska Charter Prairie Home Companion 7/06
Disney Wonder 4 Day 6/06
Zuiderdam 7 Day Caribbean 9/05
Oosterdam 7 Day Alaska 8/04
Derby, UK
895 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by MrFunInTheSun
Wahoo! It's cruise day! Does everyone have their virtual bags packed ready to board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas!
I do!!

Subscribing so I can follow along! As others have said I've been following with Radio and Bugsy and they're home now. Gambee is on Day 5 and will be done in the next week (judging by the amount of time he takes with each day - love it!! )

We're on Jewel's sister-ship Serenade in July so got an eye on things to look out for when we're onboard. Also getting the premium package so will be interested in your experiences

Hope you have a great time
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises
Oct 2008 Ocean Village: Eastern Med,
May 2010 RCI Independence: Cobh,
Oct 2010 NCL Jade: Western Med,
Apr 2011 RCI Independence: Paris,
Aug 2011 RCI Vision: Baltics,
Feb 2012 RCI Independence: Canaries,
July 2012 RCI Adventure: Western Med,
Oct 2012 RCI Freedom: Eastern Caribbean,
July 2013 RCI Serenade: Mediterranean,
Jul 2014 RCI Independence: Spain and Portugal,
April 2015 RCI Anthem: Bruges and Paris,
May 2015 RCI Explorer: Spain and Portugal,
December 2015 P&O Ventura: Bruges and Amsterdam - or not!
May 2016 RCI Independence: Transatlantic
April 2017 RCI Independence: Bruges and errrr...Rotterdam!
October 2017 RCI Independence: Spain and France

Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Welcome to Day One "Live" from the Jewel of the Seas.

Before I start out with my uneventful trip to the port of Tampa I've got to say something. I'm in total and udder AWE...this ship is amazing, I'm so mad at myself that I let a good deal last December stop me from cruising then and I cruised the Carnival Ecstasy, so mad at myself. I so would have loved to have brought my DM on this ship, it's simply amazing. I don't think, course I'll never say never, that I will ever step foot on a Carnival ship again, with the exception of the Carnival Freedom or Carnival Breeze. Not that that's off my chest lets begin. :-)

Left my house around 12:40, parked, situated and in my room by 1:15. Best embarkment day ever. I had a few delays thru security as stupid me forgot I put my camera in my pocket of my cargo short. Got in line to check in that was long, then realized I was in the wrong line, got to the gold line and checked right in. Parking at the port was $75 for the 5 days.

First glimpse of the Jewel!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Past "Live" Trip Reports

RCCL - Oasis of the Seas "Live" cruise report. November 12-19, 2017. "Live" report can be found HERE

RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas "Live" cruise report. December 12-16, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Allure of the Seas "Live" cruise report. Nov 17-24,2013. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Enchantment of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 19-26, 2013. Back -2- Back. "Live" report can be found HERE
RCCL - Jewel of the Seas "Live" cruise report. April 13-18, 2013. "Live" report can be found HERE.
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas "Live" cruise report. July 20-23, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE
CCL - Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom B2B "Live" cruise report. November 8-17, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.
CCL - Carnival Ecstasy "Live" cruise report. December 3-8, 2012. "Live" report can be found HERE.

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Oasis of the Seas(1), Harmony of the Seas(1), Enchantment of the Seas(3), Monarch of the Seas(2), Jewel of the Seas(1), Allure of the Seas(1), Brilliance of the Seas(2)
Carnival Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy(2), Carnival Freedom(2), Carnival Legend(2), Carnival Inspiration(2), Carnival Imagination(2), Carnival Fantasy(2), Carnival Sensation(2)

Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Day One Compass

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Past "Live" Trip Reports

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Carnival Cruises:

Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
My Room. Sure there's enough room for all of you. I wasn't quite as fortunate as Radio and get a Mac daddy upgrade, but must say its quite nice.

No nasty shower curtain to deal with. :-)

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Past "Live" Trip Reports

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Carnival Cruises:

Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Other items.

Today's first drink. Drink of the day. Only have 7 more to go. :-) I'm up for the challenge. Was cool to sign a receipt that was zero. :-)

Off to venture around the ship more.

Till a later time, "Live" from the Jewel of the seas!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Past "Live" Trip Reports

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Carnival Cruises:

Billings, MT
262 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
We were on the Jewel in March, and did the drink package. To answer the champaign question - champaign (or sparkling wine) is included. But only the "house" sparkling wine, and none of the champaigns in the Champaign Bar were included. But we had delightful martinis in the champaign bar.
Mr. Fun in the Sun - let us know if our favorite bar tender Yvgeni (? spelling), is still at the Solarium Bar. He was awesome. Enjoy! I look forward to reliving my cruise with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Veronica

Upcoming Adventures:
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Repositioning Cruise | Boston to Ft. Lauderdale | 10-28-2018
Royal Caribbean - Anthem of the Seas - Bahamas | 3-15-2019
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Repositioning Cruise | Boston to Ft. Lauderdale | 10-27-2019
Past cruises:
Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas - Western Caribbean | 3-4-2018
Royal Caribbean - Harmony of the Seas - Western Caribbean | 2-24-2018
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Repositioning Cruise | Boston to Ft. Lauderdale | 10-20-2017
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas - Eastern Sea Coast and Bahamas | 4-8-2017 Became Diamond!!
Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas - Western Caribbean | 11-5-2016
Royal Caribbean - Anthem of the Seas - Bahamas | 3-19-2016 Became Emerald!!
Carnival - Elation - Cozumel & Progresso - September 2015
Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas B2B - Western Caribbean | 3-19-2015 & 3-23-2015 Became Platinum!!
Royal Caribbean - Quantum of the Seas B2B - sampler cruises "to no where" | 11-18-2014 & 11-21-2014
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Bahamas & Key West | 4-5-2014
Royal Caribbean - Jewel of the Seas - Tampa & Cozumel | 3-2-2013
Central Florida
1,205 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Going on the Jewel in May and again in September. Looking forward to your live review. It will make the time pass much faster!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:

RCI Brilliance - British Isles - 7/27/18
HAL Oosterdam - 11/10/18

RCI Brilliance (Grandkids part five) 3/4/19
Viking River Cruise - (Prost!) 11/2/19

Completed cruises:
RCI Brilliance (Grandkids part four) - 2/8/18; RCI Adventure, So. Caribbean - 3/3/18
12/2/17, Norwegian Epic, Western Carib.; 6/17, RCI Empress, Cuba; 3/17, RCI Oasis, Western Caribbean; 2/17, Carnival Liberty, Bahamas (Grandkids part three); 12/16, Carnival Magic, Western Caribbean; 10/16, Cruise that Hurricane Matthew stole - RCI Adventure to So. Caribbean; 6/16, MSC Divina, Western Caribbean with San Juan; 2/16, RCI Enchantment, Bahamas; 5/16, RCI Explorer of the Seas, Baltic, Northern Europe; RCI Enchantment OTS, Bahamas, 3/15, RCI Vision of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 2/15; RCI Splendour of the Seas, Venice & Greece, 10/14; RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas, 8/14; RCI, Jewel of the Seas, Southern Caribbean 9/13; RCI Jewel of the Seas 5/13, Western Caribbean; Carnival Sensation, 1/13, Bahamas; RCI Freedom of the Seas, 10/12, Western Caribbean; RCI Monarch of the Seas, 3/12, Caribbean; RCI Grandeur of the Seas, 9/11, Spain; RCI Navigator of the Seas, 9/10, Eastern Med. & Egypt; Celebrity Century, 10/08, Western Mediterranean & Morocco; Carnival Imagination, 1/06, Western Caribbean
Florida
3,649 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
After my last post I ventured around the ship more and got some food in the Windjamer so I could drink more. :-/ Opps I mean because I was hungry and time to graze. Had some of the honey stung chicken that I believe is only available the first day. It was very good.

Live island music. Much better than a loud DJ on deck that's for sure. Much more relaxing. (Rythm Explosion from Jamaica as another poster mentioned) They are very good, listening to them from the edge of the solarium.

Rock climbing wall.

New nets going up on the basketball court.

Edge of the solarium.

My 2nd drink. Captains Caipirinha. Very good. Captain Morgan is a very good friend of mine, we go way back. Am sure many of you are good friends of his too. Certainly different drinking this, this way.

Everyone around the ship seems very happy and energized and ready for some rest and relaxation. It's a beautiful day here in Tampa, partly cloudy but very nice. Muster drill is at 4:00 and sail away is around 4:30. Looking at today's compass, there is a solo travellers get together at the sky bar at 5:15. Must be a lot of solo travelers on this cruise. I've never seen such a gathering before.

Just now over the loud speaker everyone is being advised of the Muster Drill in a half hour. Everyone is being advised because of flu season to not shake hands during the cruise but do the fist bump. Haha, thought that was kind of funny.

Till a later time "Live" from the Jewel of the Seas...

Up next sail away from the port of Tampa.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises

Past "Live" Trip Reports

Royal Caribbean Cruises:
Carnival Cruises:

574 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I'm sailing on the repo to San Juan 4 weeks from today. Thanks for serving up this "appetizer".

Have a fabulous time. Cheers, bon appetit and Bon Voyage!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SEE YOU AT SEA
05/13 - Jewel (Repo: Tampa to San Juan) / 04/12 - Emerald (Southern Medley) / 10/09 - Adventure (Aruba Route) / 04/08 - Adventure (Barbados Route) / 04/06 - Serenade (10 Night Southern) / 10/04 - Explorer (Eastern) / 06/98- Enchantment (Western) / 05/96 - Fantasy (Bahamas)
North Royalton, OH
2,471 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Thanks for the Rhythm Explosion pic! If you ever get a chance/feel like talking to them, ask for Arthur--hard to tell from this pic--I think he's the guy all the way in the back (left side when facing the band..tall, skinny guy). He is a friend of ours from way back on Majesty of the Seas. We saw him last year on Navigator. You can use my dad's name, Wally, or our last name, the Ohler's, from Ohio. If not, no big deal. But he's a nice guy and has been around a long time!

Have a great time, I'm jealous of your drinks, they look awesome!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stacy

D+
Orlando
1 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Bon Voyage! Thanks for doing this! I'm another one who is boarding the day you bring her back to port! Relax and enjoy! B)