Mini Suites (Dolphin Deck) on Grand Princess

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cabin Selection Tips
Help on how to choose a cabin on a cruise ship.

How To Choose A Cabin from Cruise Critic
Offer up your opinions on selecting the best cabin.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:30 PM.
San Antonio Texas
2 Posts
Joined May 2013
We are taking an Alaskan cruise in Sept 2014 on the Grand Princess. We are booked for a mini suite on the dolphin deck in the front of the ship in D223. This is our first Alaskan cruise and we want to be sure we're in a decent location on the ship to enjoy the views with no obstructions, etc... Any advice would be much appreciated .
Northern NV
2,968 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Happy Travlers
We are taking an Alaskan cruise in Sept 2014 on the Grand Princess. We are booked for a mini suite on the dolphin deck in the front of the ship in D223. This is our first Alaskan cruise and we want to be sure we're in a decent location on the ship to enjoy the views with no obstructions, etc... Any advice would be much appreciated .
Nice size cabin, nice size balcony. But, you should be aware that the dolphin deck minis have uncovered balconies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises

Past Cruises
NCL Jade 9/2017, NCL Epic 3/2015, NCL Jewel 12/2014, NCL Star 12/2013,
NCL Sun 10/2012, NCL Spirit 4/2012, NCL Pride of America 4/2011, NCL Jade 3/2010

HAL Oosterdam 9/2015, HAL Statendam 9/2014, HAL Statendam 5/2013,
HAL Westerdam 6/2009

Celebrity Equinox 4/2017, Celebrity Millennium 6/2014

Carnival Imagination 10/2016,
Carnival Pride 3/2016, Carnival Imagination 6/2015, Carnival Inspiration 5/2012,
Carnival Freedom 1/2012, Carnival Splendor 8/2011, Carnival Spirit 10/2010,
Carnival Paradise 10/2009, Carnival Fantasy 5/2008, Carnival Elation 9/2007

Caribbean Princess 11/2008, Grand Princess 3/2008, Grand Princess 12/2006

RCL Sovereign of the Seas 8/2008

M/S Nile Carnival 3/2003
88,576 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I wanted to note that your best views are going to be on the open deck where you can easily go from one side of the ship to the other side.

Keith
Edmonton
2,043 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
I agree that the best views may well be from a public deck. If for example the ship parks in front of a glacier you may see nothing from your balcony if the other side of the ship is facing it. Conversly you may have a great private view. There is no telling. Alaska trips are known for changing weather and quickly. I would much rather have a covered or at least partially covered balcony so that I could still us it if the weather goes bad. Just can't see myself dressed head to toe in rain gear to watch a glacier calve or read a book. We also like some privacy on our balcony which Dolphin deck does not offer at all.
San Antonio Texas
2 Posts
Joined May 2013
Thanks for the information. This is good to know. We can still make changes to another area of the ship with covered balconies. We're still new to crusing and learning as we go. This forum seems like a great wealth of information.
phila, pa
51,854 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by Happy Travlers
Thanks for the information. This is good to know. We can still make changes to another area of the ship with covered balconies. We're still new to crusing and learning as we go. This forum seems like a great wealth of information.

if a mini is important move down to the emerald deck.

When I take my alaska cruise it will be from an aft cabin so i can see both sides
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Crown Princess 01/07 Aruba 03/4 Carnival Liberty 08/26

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
United States
20 Posts
Joined May 2013
It's a really nice cabin, but when I was in Alaska we stayed in the back of the boat and saw so many wonderful things. We saw whales and other marine life. It was truly wonderful. I would recommend taking a room in the back of the boat because of my experiences.