No Accessible Cabins?

njguy_south

I am very much looking forward to cruising on Viking Oceans/Viking Star. However, I am very surprised that they do not have accessible cabins for those with disabilities. Surely, in the 21st century, ships should realize the numbers of people in wheelchairs that travel. True, while most of the cabins have showers, rather than tubs, that does not mean that someone with a disability does not need a roll-in shower, or one with a drop-down bench (or even room for one in the shower). This also speaks to the width of the doors, etc.

Their own FAQs on the website state: "Viking Cruises welcomes disabled guests but wishes all guests to understand that challenges will exist on board and during shore excursions. Viking Star has elevators, but there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult."

"Challenges will exist on board"? Seriously? There are challenges everywhere, but any well built ship (or hotel, etc.) has an alternate means to get around those challenges. That statement alone speaks volumes about the attitude of Viking and some (not many) other lines toward people with disabilities.

I still cannot believe that they are building a ship without accessible cabins.

Archived